stephenk

animations - don't think I've seen those... by lynch? Will have to check that out...

Antichrist is actually like Von Trier trying Lynch on.... the fox hole, the sound design, the hospital vase zoom in to letterbox exit.... all reeked of Lynch to me... Having seen the idiots, Dancer in the dark, mandelay, dogville etc Antichrist struck me as being very un-Von trier.... very lynchian instead - anyone else see this?? I'd say its an odd Von Trier film but possibly my favourite... be interesting to see where his next two films lead too, if his style changes much or if he reverts back to his older style more yknow?

a lot more like possession than any lynch, IMO.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I thought Antichrist was pretty poor. The opening scene was like some x-rated aftershave advert. From there, up until it got all silly and violent, I thought it was great. Beautifully shot. Incredible atmosphere.

Shame it turns into your standard, plodding horror film. Dafoe dragging himself through the woods, pursued by a manic Gainsbourg for what seems like an eternity. I just got bored.

Gregor XIII

Antichrist is actually like Von Trier trying Lynch on.... the fox hole, the sound design, the hospital vase zoom in to letterbox exit.... all reeked of Lynch to me... Having seen the idiots, Dancer in the dark, mandelay, dogville etc Antichrist struck me as being very un-Von trier.... very lynchian instead - anyone else see this?? I'd say its an odd Von Trier film but possibly my favourite... be interesting to see where his next two films lead too, if his style changes much or if he reverts back to his older style more yknow?
Actually, for me, Antichrist was von Trier reverting to his older style. His first trilogy (Element of Crime, Epidemic and Europa) was made in a much more aesthetic style, more like Antichrist, and very much unlike the Dogme-aesthetic. Also, the horrorelements recall both Epidemic as well as his brilliant tv-series The Kingdom, which was basically Twin Peaks set in a hospital. Very Lynchian indeed. I prefer the earlier stuff to the more melodramatic films, though I really like Dancer, and I loved Antichrist for the same reason. I actually saw Melancholia a few weeks ago, and it also seemed to bring back that old eighties Trier again. It even had his hilarious dark humor in the sequence set at the wedding. Much better than I had expected, even though the second half of it drags a bit.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
Watched 1990's Total Recall last night on the TV and was just thorougly impressed by the visionary dystopian vibe of the flick - full body scanners, screens on the tube, corpocracy, etc. - as well as the unpredicable intricacy of the plot and the timeless and still impressing SFX. Movies like that just don't get made nowadays.

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Just watched The Man Who Wasn't There. Hadn't seen it before. Thought it was excellent. Possibly my new favourite Coen Brothers film. The whole feel and atmosphere of it was brilliant. BBT was awesome.

Agreed. Possibly my favourite of theirs, with No Country a close second. BBT is superb.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Watched Synecdoche, New York last night. I wouldn't unreservedly recommend it, but I thought it was great. Dragged a little, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

Miserable film though. Didn't help my mood.

I wanted to like this but it was so depressing I couldn't get through it. Severe mood-altering experience.

Gregor XIII

I saw Onibaba a few days ago. I think someone on here recommended it. It was really strange and really great. Beautiful and atmospheric, hardly horrifying, though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's a great film. I found the bit when she SPOILER turns round to reveal the mask is stuck to her head genuinely and powerfully creepy SPOILER but I'd agree that in the main it's not a scary film.

nochexxx

harco pronting
finally got round to watching this deeply odd 'video nasty' called The Witch Who Came from the Sea. starring Millie Perkins (The Shooting)!

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I watched Street Fight at a mate's last night. Really enjoyed it.

Some of the stuff Sharpe James was doing / saying was ridiculous. Extremely frustrating to watch at times. The film's clearly biased towards Booker so I dunno how accurate a portrayal it is, but he certainly seemed like the better man. Sharpe was corrupt beyond belief.

The rivalry between James and Booker got so ugly. I was squirming at some of James' comments. Vile bloke.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Mildred Pierce
The ultimate screen representation of materialistic greed/evil in the form of her daughter.
You've got to love it.

Gregor XIII

I saw 12:08 East of Bucharest yesterday. I really like the new Romanian films, but this might be my favorite one. Just hilarious, inventive, slightly sad. Really, really great.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That sounds good - will check it out.

After an internet trawl for a good horror film that had escaped me over the past decade, I watched Session 9. For all its faults, really, really unnerving.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Been slacking with this thread again, but watched Videodrome & the Cronenberg version of The Fly recently and loved them both to bits.
I think at the moment I'm content to work through the frankly embarrassing number of famous/classic/important films that I've never seen and leave aside new stuff until I've 'caught up' a bit more.
(Trawling through the recent recommendations btw, some of them look fascinating. Can co-sign the greatness of Total Recall, need to rewatch sometime)