Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Conspiracy Theories?

Ive said it before, and Ill say it again - conspiracy is a mindset, a way of thinking, a system of understanding - not necessarily attached to any specific event. Thats why its politically dangerous and disempowering, its a self-necrotising process, an exercise in auto-apathy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

The real question is who makes the Nazis? Vigilantcitizen and prison planet aren't the reason the world is not comprised solely of radical leftists. Conspiracy attracts left and right equally. It's a non issue.

You're just another bod trying to sell your truth.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Conspiracy attracts left and right equally.
    Precisely my point. It is a psychological phenomenon connected to, but not dependent on politics, a weltanschauung, not an ideology.

I have seen this firsthand. Its a clinical disorder.

well i think you may need to open up your minds actually - i just received this :

Are you a business man,
    politician, musical,
    student and you want to be
    rich, powerful and be
    famous in life or need a
    power to achieving your
    dreams. You can achieve
    your dreams by being a
    member of the Illuminati.
    With this all your dreams
    and heart desire can be
    fully accomplish, if you
    really want to be a member
    of the great Illuminati
    then you can contact
    agent antonio on his
    email
    {antonioclassic2k2@gmail.c
    om}
    so, not only do the illuminati exist, you can join up just by emailing

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

& secondly, and on a less trollsome note

Personally i find a lot of interest in conspiracy theories, & not just from an aesthetical/anthropological "poetical weirdness" POV (tho i surely enjoy that too).
    They can certainly be appreciated on a symbolic/metaphorical level as addressing stuff that is not easily approached more directly. And some of that may be unsavoury, ie "Lizards", though there's nothing inherently unsavoury in UFOlogy or cryptozoology, for example, that undermines the benefits of keeping scientific inspiration available to enthusiastic lay people.

I'm surprised Eden misses the overlap between (mainly pre-internet, the internet has disrupted this rather) indie investigative journo types with conspiranoidery. There certainly used to be a current of (stereotyped as hairy, lone wolf type) bold, intrepid investigators who delved particularly into the murk of military bases, big science, often on the fringes of peace and eco movements.
    Their credentials as serious journalists were always rubbished, but they came up with scoops and worked alongside activists, and probably it's impossible to tell how far they were wasting energy chasing windmills or not, since they were often exposing stuff that wouldn’t tend to be confirmable.
    This current still exists, now submerged in and part of the blossoming of conspiracy theorising on the web. I know you will say "but it's misdirected", but it isn’t _always_ misdirected, look at stuff like

these activities are worthwhile imho.

& also, it's important more generally to keep a culture of scepticism alive.
    (and i don't think it's a "mindset", that's rather patronising. We modern humans have ample brain-space for multiple, even conflicting belief systems)

and finally, it's different from what eden characterised above as making people passive, though perhaps connected. That is a feature of the "post-truth" media in this era that's not restricted to conspiracy theorising - this article (pre 11/9) https://theawl.com/when-truth-falls-apart-b4667d39575b identifies it plausibly as a specific republican comms strategy. Maybe that's too specific, but it's a widespread phenomenon - this is also quite good on that this video will make you angry, but maybe that's another thread?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    Personally i find a lot of interest in conspiracy theories, & not just from an aesthetical/anthropological "poetical weirdness" POV (tho i surely enjoy that too).
    They can certainly be appreciated on a symbolic/metaphorical level as addressing stuff that is not easily approached more directly.
    Somewhat inspired by this thread I was considering 'getting into' conspiracy theories. Obviously not in terms of actually believing them, nor in terms of mocking them, but enjoying them aesthetically as intricate thought constructs that draw from history, politics, mythology, symbolism, etc.

Anyone got any suggestions (documentaries preferably)?

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I have seen this firsthand. Its a clinical disorder.
    Not in itself but yes it can go hand in hand with paranoid schizophrenia. I have friends like that. I don't dispute that.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Somewhat inspired by this thread I was considering 'getting into' conspiracy theories. Obviously not in terms of actually believing them, nor in terms of mocking them, but enjoying them aesthetically as intricate thought constructs that draw from history, politics, mythology, symbolism, etc.

Anyone got any suggestions (documentaries preferably)?
    I've put loads of links on this thread. Sufi, has just put a load of links up.... Why not start there?

What really sticks in my craw is when the bastards not only don't bother to hide, but actively rub it in your face.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Though I assumed it was self evident, I feel I should make the distinction here between an academic, aesthetic interest in conspiracy theories (which I sometimes share) and true belief.

Every thought subtly rewires the brain until we have mental furrows.

If youre a copper, everyone's a criminal, if you're a doctor, everyone's a patient, if your a conspiracist, everything's a conspiracy. Thats what I mean by mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Though I assumed it was self evident, I feel I should make the distinction here between an academic, aesthetic interest in conspiracy theories (which I sometimes share) and true belief.
    well yes, but that anthropological lens is generally a method of creating artificial distance to cover for voyeurism, in my experience (it's one of my faves!) or are you suggesting that if you have some sort of academia certification you are somehow immunised against the "necrotising disorder"?

bottom line: i think that you can indulge in conspiracy theorising without being a crackpot, but your extremely closed-minded post at top of page disallows that

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post: