luka

And more to the point: do you think magic, whether it's real or not, is useful to improving the opportunities of poor and marginalised people?

Do you think Chinese universities are teaching their students that "science is racist" and that it must be "decolonised"? I suspect they're probably too busy churning out thousands of highly qualified scientists, engineers, doctors, programmers and analysts every year, which is part of the reason they're leaving 'us' in the dust.

i do find a lot of what youre saying chilling. thats not hyperbole.

luka

China was colonised by the Mongols admittedly but it's still a strange example. would you tell the tibetans to stop with all the silly chanting and meditating and focus on producing the tibetan degrasse tyson instead? weird.

luka

the urge to strike all meaning from people's lives and impose, top down, a materialist mindset with no room for dissent or other ways of understanding and experiencing the world is totalitarian. chilling.

luka

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/KUP311A.html
the "deep political structure" of American society - and I would argue that this now applies globally - is permeated by an interwoven nexus between political/corporate elites and an organized criminal subculture, whereby certain political or business arrangements are made in an extra-legal sphere, beyond the reach of sanction or salience. Although this dual-purpose netherworld has been with us for over a century - and roughly parallels the rise of an American industrial "Establishment" of which the Bushes and Rockefellers are most representative - for our purposes, we will date the true globalization of this "deep political structure" with the creation of the Bank of Credit and Commerce International, better known as BCCI.

http://www.deepblacklies.co.uk/the_money_fountain.htm

luka

That Hani Hanjour, the pilot of Flight 77, was so incompetent he could not fly a Cessna in August, but in September managed to fly a 767 at excessive speed into a spiraling, 270-degree descent and a level impact of the first floor of the Pentagon, on the only side that was virtually empty and had been hardened to withstand a terrorist attack, merely demonstrates that people can do almost anything once they set their minds to it.

That none of the flight data recorders were said to be recoverable even though they were located in the tail sections, and that until 9/11, no solid-state recorder in a catastrophic crash had been unrecoverable, shows how there's a first time for everything.

That Mohammed Atta left a uniform, a will, a Koran, his driver's license and a "how to fly planes" video in his rental car at the airport means he had other things on his mind.

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.co.uk/2004/08/coincidence-theorists-guide-to-911.html

droid

“Not that the incredulous person doesn't believe in anything. It's just that he doesn't believe in everything. Or he believes in one thing at a time. He believes a second thing only if it somehow follows from the first thing. He is nearsighted and methodical, avoiding wide horizons. If two things don't fit, but you believe both of them, thinking that somewhere, hidden, there must be a third thing that connects them, that's credulity.”

firefinga

...as entirely parallel to this:

In each case, people are clinging to a comforting myth that can only survive in the hothouse environment of their respective safe space, cossetted from the chill wind of fact, evidence and logic that would destroy them in an instant if they were exposed to it. Academia and intellectual culture (such as it is) in the Anglophone world, and perhaps 'the West' in general, has signed its own death warrant by tolerating and encouraging this madness.

so I just watched the vid and I gotta say....I find it somewhat hilarious how this got very little to do with "decolonising science" , this has got all to do with social control and dominance. That whole "safe space" is a mental-wank-space and nothing much else. That one guy not agreeing with the obvious consensus is being silenced by accusing him not to comply to the rules of this "progressive space", and not bc of the actual things he said (or was trying, as soon as it was clear he wouldn't go along the "decolonised science" dogma the uproar started).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
China is a colonial power.

My point is not to mount a moral defence of Chinese policy either domestically or in the wider world - that would be nuts, obviously. Not is it that everyone should just shut up and build iPhones. It's rather that China has more reason than many countries to resent the old European colonial/imperial powers, particularly the UK of course, yet is enthusiastic in the use of modern science for the purposes of economic development in a way that most Western countries haven't been since the 19th century (the very heyday of colonialism, funnily enough).

the urge to strike all meaning from people's lives and impose, top down, a materialist mindset with no room for dissent or other ways of understanding and experiencing the world is totalitarian. chilling.

I can't tell if you really think I think this, or are just playing along in the old game of luka-the-warrior-mystic-vs-tea-the-square-science-nazi. I'm not saying people shouldn't believe whatever they like, or experience life however they like. But if you're studying with a view either to make material improvements to your society or to the world at large or even just to improve your own economic prospects - and I appreciate there may be many other good reasons for attending university, but those are two pretty important ones - you're probably better off studying science than sorcery.

You know what I think would benefit South Africa? Less Aids. Now would you say science or sorcery is the better bet for achieving this?

Last edited:

luka

Mr tea says you must scrap your cultural inheritance and learn science so your nation can grow ecinomically

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You're falling into the same old either/or trap as zhao. My bookcase contains volumes by Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose as well as Julian Cope and Alex Grey, and yet somehow hasn't spontaneously combusted under the strain of opposing worldviews. Study sorcery, by all means, if you want to - it's the 'tear science up and start from scratch' stuff that's got me worried.

luka

Oh come on, as if you think universities are these great storehouses of cultural inheritance!

No that's not what I'm saying. I think you're underestimating how knotty these issues are. Perhaps cos England doesn't have an indigenous colonised population.

luka

You're falling into the same old either/or trap as zhao. My bookcase contains volumes by Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose as well as Julian Cope and Alex Grey, and yet somehow hasn't spontaneously combusted under the strain of opposing worldviews. Study sorcery, by all means, if you want to - it's the 'tear science up and start from scratch' stuff that's got me worried.

I'm not falling into that trap at all. You're asking me science or sorcery. You said that. I didn't.