Cycling

Leo

NYC boroughs are also for the most part relatively flat, which makes it easier. Sometimes you can get long gradual inclines as opposed to steep hills. I recall the first time going over the 59th St/Queensboro Bridge being a bit of a killer, a long incline until you reach the middle.

@jenks are you in London, or done much riding there? is it easy to get around? and are there hilly parts?

jenks

thread death
NYC boroughs are also for the most part relatively flat, which makes it easier. Sometimes you can get long gradual inclines as opposed to steep hills. I recall the first time going over the 59th St/Queensboro Bridge being a bit of a killer, a long incline until you reach the middle.

@jenks are you in London, or done much riding there? is it easy to get around? and are there hilly parts?
I live to the east of London (a 45 minute train journey) - when I’m in town, I use the hire bikes to get around, London is essentially in a bowl, so it’s mostly flat unless you head out to the edges where it can rise nicely. The good thing is that it doesn’t take too long to get out into the lanes where there’s some lovely riding - whether it be north, east or south (not sure out west)

Reactions: Leo

jenks

thread death
The Tour continues to be one of the best in ages. Pog v Jonas is one for the ages. Some great subplots. Cofidis bagging two stages after a 15 yr wait, Bilbao’s emotional win, Ineos becoming stage hunters, Cav not achieving the dream…and Bardet crashing out today. Big stage tomorrow (but then again, I feel like I’ve been saying that for that last fortnight)

version

I was in a beer garden with a mate last night and we were suddenly swarmed by cyclists. They appeared from all directions. Bikes, pints and lycra out of thin air.

craner

Beast of Burden
Two professional cyclists dead so far this year. One, horrifically, flew off the side of a mountain in Switzerland partly because the race organisers wanted to design an "exciting finish".

jenks

thread death
Two professional cyclists dead so far this year. One, horrifically, flew off the side of a mountain in Switzerland partly because the race organisers wanted to design an "exciting finish".
Mader dying at Tour de Suisse has been a real wake up call. There are now nets like they have in ski-ing and better animatronic signage. A youngster died last week on a descent, I think. It’s a real worry. My older son races and sometimes I would rather not know what goes on in the peloton as I think I’d never let him out the house.

craner

Beast of Burden
Mader dying at Tour de Suisse has been a real wake up call. There are now nets like they have in ski-ing and better animatronic signage. A youngster died last week on a descent, I think. It’s a real worry. My older son races and sometimes I would rather not know what goes on in the peloton as I think I’d never let him out the house.

I mean it is breathtaking watching the mountain descents but it also looks exceptionally dangerous. Some of them take life-threatening risks just to claw back seconds on the clock.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Something about the way you phrased this makes it very funny, unfortunately.

jenks

thread death
I mean it is breathtaking watching the mountain descents but it also looks exceptionally dangerous. Some of them take life-threatening risks just to claw back seconds on the clock.
Yeah. That Netflix series on last year’s TdF has an episode focusing on Pidcock and his descent to catch and overtake the break before stomping up Alpe d’Huez. He really did push that to the extreme.

mixed_biscuits

Old Trafford has a similar problem with the steep slope at the side of the pitch.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah. That Netflix series on last year’s TdF has an episode focusing on Pidcock and his descent to catch and overtake the break before stomping up Alpe d’Huez. He really did push that to the extreme.

Happy birthday Jenks!