Where have the UFOs gone?

version

E9v7n-R6-Uc-AI-Mq3.jpg

Leo

what happened to your magazine, @version? did you murder someone and then decide to do some reading before washing up?

catalog

It was a sort of long, thin diamond shape and it was white initially... Then it went through a sequence and it kind of changed to green, red and blue.

[Re. her grandfather] He was a very down to earth kind of guy.

He said:

"We've seen it. We know we've seen it and nobody else needs to know about it."

ILqxSU0.jpg

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Handbook of UFO Religions​

Series:​

Volume Editor: Ben Zeller
The Handbook of UFO Religions, edited by esteemed scholar of new religions Benjamin E. Zeller, offers the most expansive and detailed study of the persistent, popular, and global phenomenon of religious engagements with ideas about extraterrestrial life. The present work considers not only new religions founded on ideas about extraterrestrials and UFOs, but how those within more mainstream religions have responded to the science, scientific speculation, and popular culture involving extraterrestrials, UFOs, and related concepts. Global in reach, it includes chapters considering South and East Asia, Europe, and North and South America, and draws on several interdisciplinary methods. In addition, the handbook traces connections between UFO religiosity and cultural patterns such as science and scientism, esoterism and occultism, millennialism, and popular culture.

85D565BF-B1FA-4999-BC14-259D67EC3A36.jpeg

Chapter 4 Unmasking the Alien Deception: Why Evangelicals Are Studying Ufology​

This chapter examines “conservative evangelical ufology” from the 1970s to the present. Conservative evangelical ufologists argue that UFOs are real and that they are demonic: UFO entities masquerade as extra-terrestrials in order to promote belief in evolution and other scientific theories that conservative evangelicals reject as unbiblical. In making this argument, conservative evangelical ufologists draw on secular ufologists such as Jacques Vallée who argued that UFOs could not be from outer space and must be interdimensional. Rather than viewing these arguments as a rhetorical strategy by Christian apologists, this chapter frames this a form of hybridity in which evangelicals are genuinely absorbing ufological theories into their worldview.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
UFOs are actually demons masquerading as aliens to promote belief in science! There is a demented genius at work there, for sure. @luka I bet you wish you'd thought of that one!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@WashYourHands This stuff is fascinating. Does the book go into historical precedents for this kind of belief? It strikes me as having a lot in common with the witch-panic of the early modern era.

luka

its a good idea but i think they've stolen it. terrence mckennas idea about ufos is basically that, and i dont think he was the first either.
anything that considers them some extra-dimensional entity like fairies and that

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I meant specifically the bit about the demonic fake aliens being vectors for wicked godless lies like evolution. That's new, surely?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You could, of course, extend this idea:

* Ghosts want you to think recreational marijuana use is harmless.
* Sasquatch wants to take your guns away.
* El Chupacabra promotes tolerance of Catholics and Muslims.
* The Wendigo is indoctrinating our children that it's OK for a family to have two dads and no mom.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
@WashYourHands This stuff is fascinating. Does the book go into historical precedents for this kind of belief? It strikes me as having a lot in common with the witch-panic of the early modern era.

its a good idea but i think they've stolen it. terrence mckennas idea about ufos is basically that, and i dont think he was the first either.
anything that considers them some extra-dimensional entity like fairies and that

It bridges conspiracy guff so it’s a warped take on both, not an exact equivalent of either and brings the ignorant round to anti Semitic world views

Jung was more about projections of the unconscious with ufo’s, but questions will arise when a radar tracking lock is *confirmed on said projection

The Gateway Experience of sound aligning brain hemisphere waves to transcend space-time dials up the batshit crazy (and funny), implying encounters with non-corporeal intelligences. Remove the ufos and corporeal aliens, go straight toward post-science and demi-urges

*lol

abodywithoutorgans

listened to a steady diet of art bell on the radio in the mid? to late 90s, early 00s… no mention of him in this thread but his 'backcatalogue' is available here and there online. seems to scratch that itch

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
didn't take you for a Tool fan Tea, or a fan of any metal for that matter
I used to listen to one or two of their records a long time ago. Posted that link because it's relevant to Art Bell/aliens.

(I'm not really into metal in general beyond Black Sabbath and some stoner/sludge/psych stuff like Sunn 0))). Ministry too, I guess, although their earlier, more synth-based stuff is on balance more interesting.)

version

This is possibly more interesting than the UFO angle,

"An earthly object might be the best explanation for the flashing lights, Eliot Gillum, the director of optical SETI at the SETI Institute, tells Inverse. While there weren’t any satellites in 1950, the U.S. government had begun testing rockets several years earlier, relying on expertise from ex-Nazi scientists brought to the U.S. after the Second World War. There are several military bases near the Palomar Observatory, Gillum points out, any of which could have been launching rockets by 1950. He says the glints could come from a maneuver known as a roll program or from debris that broke off after launch."

Someone on Twitter recently made a thread about von Braun and rockets and claimed their grandfather knew him, went on to work in various other programs and towards the end of his life was making trips to Peenemunde and Antarctica for some reason...