Borat

swears

preppy-kei
I think the question you've got to ask yourself is: "If a white English character did and said these outrageous things would would you laugh?" And watching the various clips and TV shows (I'm seeing the film tomorrow) the answer for me, is yes.
He uses the persona of an outsider so he can pull these stunts without being questioned or reprimanded.
I mean, who had even heard of Kazakhstan before Borat did this sketch?
It's not as if people are sitting watching Borat, guffawing to themselves "AH HAHAHA! He's got those fucking Kazis spot on! I'm glad someone nailed those fuckers!"
And he's supposed to be an Eastern European Muslim? That's news to me. I've never heard any mention of Islam in any of his work.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think it's much less complex than what went on in the 70s... The 'complexity' just amounts to hypocritical disavowal...i.e. it isn't US who are trading in idiotic stereotypes for laughs; what's funny is that OTHER people (more stupid than us) can take such stereotypes seriously. Of course that allows him to use the stereotypes while disingenuously distancing himself from them. Baron Cohen and Ricky Gervais imagine (and are clearly indulged in this) that meta-pretexts are 'complex', but they are really just the bog-standard comedy cliche of the day... (the atrocious second series of Extras used ludicrous characters - notably the absurd agent character - as the flimsiest of pretexts for all kinds of unpleasant material).

I'm with you on meta pretexts as being a moribund device (beloved of the 11 O'Clock Show Alumni tho, all of whom were terrible then and terrible now). However the Oxbridge/Class dimension somewhat collapses with the parallels between Baron Cohen and Gervais, the latter of whom is most definitely working class, (born in Whitley, Reading a distinctly un-leafy district, as I know from personal experience). Gervais to me has always been the equivalent of that idiot at a house party who sidles up to you and says "look mate, I'm not racist but..." (this happened to me this last weekend and the abiding impression was being trapped in a room with a bad Ricky Gervais impersonator)..... the meta-distancing devices used by both are little better than that "look mate...", a half-convincing fig-leaf of post modern "anti PC jest" (haha... ha? No, not funny) and about as see-through.

You could also say that what both Ali G and Borat share is an Islamic identity... add anti-Zionist conspiracy rant here (tho Bruno...? Hardly a muslim character, and as a gay stereotype seems far less harsh, far more enjoyable than those deployed in Little Britain say...)

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Yeah, Gervais isn't Oxbridge; it's the meta-pretexts and the being unfunny he shares with Baron Cohen.

Thing is, with Borat, it's not like I sit there laughing, but thinking 'I really oughtn't to find this funny...' At least that would produce an interesting tension. I sit there stony faced, bemused that anyone would find the act at all amusing. It has always struck me as desperate - a sad attempt to follow up his one idea (Ali G) with an empty recapitulation.

The Brass Eye parallel did occur to me; but Brass Eye and Borat are clearly very different when you think about it. Brass Eye ridiculed influential media folk but more importantly the structures of media. The characters that Morris played were themselves the objects of his scorn - and the attack was meaningful because they were recognizable (albeit hyperbolically inflated) media types. But Borat (unlike Ali G) has no relation to any social reality whatsoever.

And besides, it is unclear whether the laughs are at the expense of Borat or not; there seems to be some dissimulation and confusion here. Say that Borat is a one-dimensional Kazakh stereotype, and his defenders will claim that the jokes are not meant to be about Borat, they are supposed to expose the stupidity and ignorance of Borat's victims. That strikes me as enormously disingenuous - are people genuinely claiming that there is no humour drawn from the idea of a 'backward' culture? It is as disingenuous as the excuse that getting laughs out of things like Borat saying 'chocolate face' is OK because he is in character. The fact that Borat has nothing to do with the what Kazakhstan is really like IS what makes so objectionable. I can't see how that is a defence; this simply what racism has always been about - fantasies that bear no relation to any real culture. Whose notion of Kazakhstan is this then? Only - as hundredmillionlifetimes established upthread - a notion attributed to an impossibly stupid Other to whom we contract out our racism, and whose posited existence allows us to laugh at racist jokes with impunity.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think the question you've got to ask yourself is: "If a white English character did and said these outrageous things would would you laugh?" And watching the various clips and TV shows (I'm seeing the film tomorrow) the answer for me, is yes.
He uses the persona of an outsider so he can pull these stunts without being questioned or reprimanded.
I mean, who had even heard of Kazakhstan before Borat did this sketch?
It's not as if people are sitting watching Borat, guffawing to themselves "AH HAHAHA! He's got those fucking Kazis spot on! I'm glad someone nailed those fuckers!"
And he's supposed to be an Eastern European Muslim? That's news to me. I've never heard any mention of Islam in any of his work.

I'll be interested to see what you think after seeing the film.

OK, I accept your argument about the 'outsider', but why does that 'outsider' have to be from a country that is poor and 'un-Western'? Why couldn't he be from Germany? Moreover, in the film, many jokes are derived from mocking the 'backward' nature of Kazakhstan, and not from the stunts you mention.

Um, he's not eastern European, for a start.

The 'who'd heard of Kazakhstan?' argument is silly. Anyone who has picked up a newspaper in the past year, maybe? Anyone who's ever picked up a world map? For those that haven't, surely this film only engenders a feeling that these countries are backward and ridiculous?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
stewart lee got a lot from bill hicks... it's silly to champion one and deride the other...

It would be, but I didn't do that. I said that Bill Hicks had interesting, sound ideas etc, but he failed to make them funny.

Plus, I don't buy the argument that to like something/someone, you have to like all their influences. Influences are by their nature appropriated and melded to the needs of the influencee (?).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I can't see how that is a defence; this simply what racism has always been about - fantasies that bear no relation to any real culture. Whose notion of Kazakhstan is this then? Only - as hundredmillionlifetimes established upthread - a notion attributed to an impossibly stupid Other to whom we contract out our racism, and whose posited existence allows us to laugh at racist jokes with impunity.

I don't agree entirely - surely racism is just as often about recognising the reality (misfortune, poverty, lack of technology etc), and mocking it.

Top of the box-office mornin' to ya, make racist benefit and glorious prostate for cult learning Americay!!!

Reconstituted poo editorialising from cyberspace make chicken good elsewhere:

Candid-Camera throw-back Borat ENJOYS embracing these stereotypes [and unlike in traditional candid-camera programmes, he refuses to break "character" either diagetically or non-diagetically, remaining in dumb character even while pathetically promoting the film, desperate for credibility - for himself and his eternally doomed victims]. He reminds of today's postmodern subject at its purest: "Isn't everything oh so Oironic!" - its boring and its anachronistic.

>meeting antisemitics (a controversial irony on his part when doing Borat since Cohen is Jewish) and just general intolerance and stupidity wherever he goes and >without fear.

You mean ridicule for the sake of ridicule. So why doesn't he "play" a Jew then? Stereotypically, of course. You know, the ranting and raving Zionist kind, calling for the genocide and nuking of all Arabs everywhere as a prelude to The Rapture after armageddon ... ?

The problem here is with those who have seen the movie and STILL don't know what they are actually talking about. The issue here is in understanding WHY people should find such an openly racist film so, you know ... FUNNY!

> If there is anyone stoopid enough to believe this character is representative of the >people of Khazikstan or anywhere else, they are as foolish as Borat and are watching >the wrong movie.

But they are not the people primarily watching it [or reviewing it]; it is those who don't believe the stereotype who are watching it and who are finding it so, you know ... FUNNY!

> The real stupidity (if not racism) is displayed by the 'real' people he
> meets, who go along with (and agree with) a lot of what he says and does.
> These are (for the most part) deluded Americans (not Kahzakstanis) who often
> go out of their way to "help the poor little foreigner"

No, they are NOT the "deluded" ones. It is those who smugly laugh at them who are the deluded ones, using their "stupidity" to justify their own pompous and elitist position (towards both supposedly dumb Americans and mad foreigners).

> So when Borat and his producer get in the naked wrestling match and
> Borat gets Azamat's junk swiped in his face who was that making fun of?
> "My moustache still tastes of your testes."

Oh, underneath his mad facade he's really a real human being after all!!! Just like us, messy and fleshy and victim-vulnerable, but beautiful and precious all the same. All satire, a well-worn traditional genre, relies on such devices to "humanise" the supposed villain: even as the film ostensibly "exposes" the bigotry, racism and sexism of all and sundry [Borat and his willing victims], it purports to excuse it all by suggesting - and explicitly showing - that hidden away underneath all the racism lies real caring human beings with secret hearts of gold, genuine really real, nice and wonderful, people - all of this then oh so comfortably JUSTIFYING all the racism, sexism etc ... when they're not of course being nice caring social workers ["It's not that we really mean it, the racism and stuff, it's just that, you know, SHIT HAPPENS!"].

"As Rosenbaum points out, the film is only ostensibly anti-anti-Semitic. Something more troubling is going on. Borrowing a bit of dialectical logic from Slavoj Zizek for a moment, Borat reveals the anti-Semite not to be an aberration from the human, but excessively human. In his passionate attachment to Pamela Lee Anderson and other absurdities of contemporary American life, the buffoonish anti-Semite Borat reveals the ridiculousness of the masks of propriety of a fabulously wealthy yet bitter and fearful culture. The nastiness of the film comes from its pitiless assault on the human weaknesses of our presentations of self. This is why critics look for respite from the troubled laughter of the film. Dargis finds it in the nude wrestling scene, which serves "an elegant formal function" in Borat. Zacharek finds it in the instances in which "for every American who rises to the bait he so temptingly dangles, there are at least two more who go out of their way to be kind to him." In other words, we find our respite in the moments of consolation offered by satire, that favorite form of the eighteen century, when people knew all about masks, pieties, and chaos." ---From "Borat: The Jackass Has Landed"

> Haven't spent a lot of time in the lesser known places in the States
> have ya? It seems to be the so-called "rednecks" that Borat targets
> mostly, and there is no shortage of them.

As this forum has indeed witnessed over the years [though not just from the USA]. But the point is: Borat WANTS these rednecks, will even most definitely invent them where necessary to legitimate his own underlying racist and elitist agenda. "Please, please agree with make glorious me, because no future Borat stereotype otherwise have it, me have no Hollywood make Borat celebrity Pamela in Kazakhstan prison."

> ... but I certainly think Cohen's a decent and convincing actor.

Someone who puts on - and plays out - a disguise is not an actor, just someone wearing a mask, like the clueless "actor" who gets drunk in order to "play" a drunk.

> I don't believe so.... I guess that makes me something, but I
> emphatically deny it whatever it is!

So, like, you'd have preferred if Borat had, say, portrayed himself as a Koran-quoting, box-cutter waving, cover-Pamela-Anderson-with-a-Burka preaching, death-to-the-American-infidels spouting, politically assertive Islamofacist Muslim? Or as a tatoo-covered, Mein-Kampf quoting, neo-Nazi skinhead demanding all Jews assemble immediately in the nearest ash-tray, and so on? That would really have been, you know ... funny! [as meanwhile we witnessed Borat being frog-marched to Guantanamo Bay] ...

> Duh! Your Europeaness is showing... Americans love to make fun of
> themselves. I love America, but that doesn't mean I want to sleep with
> it...

Oh?

So where, then, are all the [satirical] comedies about 9/11? About Abu Ghraib? About hanging Bush before Saddam? About End-Timers and Zionist Christians, and so on? Borat is making (racist) fun of (imagined) foreigners. [some real dumb Americans constructed by Borat for the make benefit of the glorious camera] to whom we subordinate our latent racism; Borat now permission give benefit viewers to laugh at his glorious racist jokes with maximum love pamela prejudice.

> Again, your reaction appears to be based on a premise you have formulated.

Again, what are you muttering on about? What premise? Or is it that you are just distinctly uncomfortable with the notion that you may have been "enjoying" racist jokes ...?

> The first time I saw The Party I thought it was hilarious. I was around 10
> years old. The 2nd time I saw it I was around 17 and was bored and
> 'offended' by it.

And your point is? That you like to wallow in the sacredness of the knee-jerk irrational?

> I haven't seen it for the past 20 years or more, but I don't think I'd be as
> harsh on it as I was last time around.

Would you ever make up your mind, and before all the ice-caps melt?

> Likewise, the first time I saw Darby O'Gill and the Little people I loved
> it. Then I "grew up". Being Irish myself, I took offence and found it very
> degrading and disgustingly racist.
> Then I grew up grew up and saw it again... and loved it. I don't intend
> getting sidetracked into why/how-so-because,

SIDETRACKED!!? "We cannot allow reason and rationality and thoughtful analysis to interfere with my precious zombie emotionalism and beautiful knee-jerk feelings!"

>but suffice to say, I don't
> find the ole onscreen Oirish-paddywhackery offensive anymore...

It's not "offensive" anymore precisely because NOBODY, anywhere, accepts or tolerates such fucking clearly appalling stereotypes [apart from Ian Paisley, of course, and a few posters here in the past]. Borat is exploiting the fact that some Americans actually believe the Borat stereotype. That's the sole basis of all the humour: "enjoying" seeing people, candid-camera style, being duped by Borat, so transferring ALL credibility on to Borat himself, making him a legitimate stereotype..

> Likewise, anyone watching Borat and (possibly) thinking "these Kazakstanis
> are dim" have a lot of growing up to do. They will come around in time, but
> the movie itself is not to blame for this (possible) reaction.

Huh? The movie is not to blame for presenting Kazakhstan in such a dim light? Oh, I dunno, let's maybe blame the weather instead ... To quote from the Tomb lad: "Kazakhstan has nothing to do with Borat or this film - unfortunately, it is simply a placeholder for some "Asiatic savages" in the old imperial lingo. Hardly anyone in Kazakhstan looks anything like Borat, and potassium is not the main export (oil is, hence the presence of huge investment banks like ABN Amro and HSBC). So, the film is casually racist - probably not as much as in the usual Hollywood fare, but still. Actually, what is irritating about it is that the ADL worries that people will go along with the antisemitic sentiments Borat expresses, whereas it is far more likely that people will think, when they're laughing at this cheap racist caricature called 'Kazakhstan', that this kind of racism is harmless fun."

Borat is making such racism mainstream Acceptable. Has just done so ...

Borat: HIV Learnings ...

... of Boot Polish For Make Bono Glorious Red Nosed Reindeer Product

================ And in other news:

Well, at least this Cohen chap occasionally, accidentally, (mis)aims his mangled ripostes in the oh-roight direction. What he said about Madonna a few days ago [as posted earlier, above, in this thread]:

"I have come here with Bilak, my 11 year old son, his wife and their child, and we are hoping maybe to put some chocolate make-up on the child's face and sell him to Madonna. I am hoping that Madonna will be a very good father for it."

Cohen, of course, sells himself to audiences with the help of a little chocy-wocky - does exactly what its says on the tin - of Ronseal black paint make-up.

Though he'd probably be more interested in the black boot-polished (chocolate-covered?) Kate Moss promotin' Product Red:

Inside every tin of black boot polish there's a wee Kate Moss tryin' to get out!

Independentcover1_503_1158842986.jpg

Take pity! Have pity! Give to Product Red and help save poor poor crime-less victim-less $50m a year Kate Moss from her horrible, outrageous blackness infection. Help save her from all these Ugandan discussions ... Liberate Her! [at least she ain't no mad-savage darkest bitchin' Naomi Campbell ...]

D84

Well, if Baron-Cohen's intention was to get people talking about racism, then he's succeeded 100%.

I just had a look at the trailer again on YouTube and it does seem to me that the people who like Borat and give him the most time are the Amreican ruling class etc and the people who give him short shrift are people like the feminists: the implication being, to my mind ignorant of the rest of the movie, that the latter are too smart to be taken in by if not the schtick then the racism/sexism.

The same thing with the Bruno sketches on Ali G... Not sure how the Bruno movie would work now that everyone's heard of Borat and Baron-Cohen...

And my reaction to those candid camera style exposes of racism has always been shock , as in "oh my god, I can't believe this guy actually said that!" and not "oh well, I guess racism is ok."

I think the weakness of the film is doing too much of a back-story for Borat as the audience in the TV show know he's a fake etc. Maybe they're trying to get more "meta-textual" with the movie but not having seen it I can't say whether it's a success or not.

As for knowingness in comedy and drama, isn't that one of the main drivers of dramatic effect? "Oh no! Don't open that door! there's a monster!" The distance between the audience and protagonists' knowledge is what dramatic irony is all about - see the Irony wiki...

Anyway, interesting discussion...

edit: Oh and that Kate Moss thing is well dodgy....

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
... of Boot Polish For Make Bono Glorious Red Nosed Reindeer Product

================ And in other news:

Independentcover1_503_1158842986.jpg

Hannah Pool did a great response to this - which incidentally I thought was the most offensive thing I'd ever seen in my lifetime, and the first time I've ever written to a national newspaper to complain - and you can read it here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1878299,00.html

Paul Gilroy's description of it as "empty nihilism" is just so spot on.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Hannah Pool did a great response to this"
I'm not sure about that, I think that she got completely carried away talking about all of these different examples of "blacking-up". For example, in Little Britain (of which I'm by no means a fan) they say that they play all of the characters black or white and she dismisses this out of hand. Seems like a pretty good explanation to me, are they supposed to make exceptions to the normal way of things for people of different colours? That sounds like racism.
Then she talks about the programme "Black, White" where a white family is made to look black and vice versa. Whether that is a worthwhile thing to do is a different question but to present it as an example of the new laissez-faire attitude to blacking up is obfuscatory at best, surely it's nothing to do with that - it would have been pretty lame if the black family were made to look white but you couldn't do it the other way round right?
The Kate Moss thing is a bit weird, I really don't know what they were getting at with that picture or what they were even thinking. Still, in general, I don't see why people shouldn't be able to change their race, sex, class or whatever when appearing on stage or in a film or whatever. When you watch a film it's not real, you know that, it can be not real in a million different ways why should one way be forbidden?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm not sure about that, I think that she got completely carried away talking about all of these different examples of "blacking-up". For example, in Little Britain (of which I'm by no means a fan) they say that they play all of the characters black or white and she dismisses this out of hand. Seems like a pretty good explanation to me, are they supposed to make exceptions to the normal way of things for people of different colours? That sounds like racism.
Then she talks about the programme "Black, White" where a white family is made to look black and vice versa. Whether that is a worthwhile thing to do is a different question but to present it as an example of the new laissez-faire attitude to blacking up is obfuscatory at best, surely it's nothing to do with that - it would have been pretty lame if the black family were made to look white but you couldn't do it the other way round right?
The Kate Moss thing is a bit weird, I really don't know what they were getting at with that picture or what they were even thinking. Still, in general, I don't see why people shouldn't be able to change their race, sex, class or whatever when appearing on stage or in a film or whatever. When you watch a film it's not real, you know that, it can be not real in a million different ways why should one way be forbidden?

I didn't agree with everything in Hannah Pool's article, but I think that your last point is way off the mark, and absurdly generalised. Leaving aside sex and class for a sec (only for reasons of time), either the blacking up will be convincing or it won't. If it isn't, it looks hellishly like mockery/crude imitation of another race. If it is convincing, then what's the point, as in Othello. There are enough black actors out there to do the job, and arguably too few parts already for them. It's comparable to giving the role of a disabled man to an able-bodied actor, when there are next-to-no parts for diasbled actors to take.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"either the blacking up will be convincing or it won't. If it isn't, it looks hellishly like mockery/crude imitation of another race. If it is convincing, then what's the point, as in Othello. There are enough black actors out there to do the job, and arguably too few parts already for them. It's comparable to giving the role of a disabled man to an able-bodied actor, when there are next-to-no parts for diasbled actors to take."
Well yeah, I'm assuming it's going to be convincing.
There are enough old people to play the roles of old people in a film but no-one complains if someone young makes themselves older. There are enough people with blond hair to play blond people in films but no-one complains if they get someone with dark hair to dye theirs for the role. The point is that it shouldn't matter, why should it be automatically taboo to change one thing about yourself if not another? A much better question would be why are there "arguably too few parts already for them (black people)"?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well yeah, I'm assuming it's going to be convincing.
There are enough old people to play the roles of old people in a film but no-one complains if someone young makes themselves older. There are enough people with blond hair to play blond people in films but no-one complains if they get someone with dark hair to dye theirs for the role. The point is that it shouldn't matter, why should it be automatically taboo to change one thing about yourself if not another? A much better question would be why are there "arguably too few parts already for them (black people)"?

Your last sentence - I agree with the sentiment. But, on the other hand, that is a problem that exists, and why should we exacerbate it by handing the roles for black people that exist, to white people? It's beyond crazy.

The rest of that paragraph - I'm stunned that you don't see why that is a totally spurious comparison, in particular the remark about blond(e) people. In the Western world, we do not live in societies where equal opportunities exist for black and white people, but we do live in a society where the effects of centuries of acute inequality (and for long periods, barbarism) can still be seen.

I'm all for older people getting more roles, and ageism certainly exists in our society. But to compare this prejudice to that of race is out of proportion at best.

As for blond(e) people.........you're not someone who understands the reasons behind positive discrimination, are you?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I'm all for older people getting more roles, and ageism certainly exists in our society. But to compare this prejudice to that of race is out of proportion at best."
You're misunderstanding me and heading off down the wrong path if you think I'm comparing ageism (or blondism?) to racism. What I'm saying is that someone dressing up as an old person isn't automatically seen as having anything to do with ageism so why should someone changing colour for a role have anything to do with racism?
What I'm not clear about is whether you are saying there is something fundamentally wrong with someone changing their colour for a role and that this would matter even if there were enough roles for everyone - in which case I would ask, why?
Or are you saying that there is nothing wrong with it in theory but in the world that we live in there are not enough roles for black people and therefore blacking up is unnecessary and counter-productive - in which case I would basically agree with you.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You're misunderstanding me and heading off down the wrong path if you think I'm comparing ageism (or blondism?) to racism. What I'm saying is that someone dressing up as an old person isn't automatically seen as having anything to do with ageism so why should someone changing colour for a role have anything to do with racism?
What I'm not clear about is whether you are saying there is something fundamentally wrong with someone changing their colour for a role and that this would matter even if there were enough roles for everyone - in which case I would ask, why?
Or are you saying that there is nothing wrong with it in theory but in the world that we live in there are not enough roles for black people and therefore blacking up is unnecessary and counter-productive - in which case I would basically agree with you.

Ok, I'm clearer now on what you mean.

I'm saying that the theoretical question you pose is utterly meaningless, because the concepts of blackness/whiteness are imbued with the history of race relations, prejudices, lack of equal opportunities etc. They are not 'blank' concepts, and (I'm not for a moment suggesting this is your point of view, however) the suggestion that they are is the basic argument that has been used to halt positive discrimination on many fronts.

And I would use harsher words to describe (the effects of) blacking up than you have.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Perhaps it is meaningless but I just wanted to know if (and if so why?) changing colour is fundamentally wrong? I took exception to that article which I thought was quite badly written and argued. More points in your last post that I might slightly disagree with you on (though no massive argument) but I probably shouldn't have jumped in and derailed the whole Borat (which I haven't seen) thing so I'll leave it there I think.