Todd Terry

dHarry

blissblogger said:
"Can You Feel It" strictly rhythm 91 is a killertune, great riff and quite ravey

(must investigate, though......is there a chance it's that tune with the "can you feel it" vocal chant?)
Royal House's Can You Party I think (later half-inched by Technotronic on Pump Up The Jam; still a good track actually, as I discovered at a wedding recently!!) - anyone know if this came before or after Larry Heard/Mr Fingers Can You Feel It? I get the feeling they were pre-'88 UK aciiieed/rave like some of those '86-'88 Detroit & Chicago choons.

Last edited:

blissblogger

"Party People", one of the singles off the Royal House album you got Matt, i think is one of the most amazing dance records ever, it's totally acid in spirit without actually having a 303 in it. it's almost got no musical content to it, just this stuttering pulse that seems to be made out of snippets of crowd-noise or something

i've had it for nearly 20 years and i only realised the other month that the "party people" vocal is from the start of "Planet Rock"

Woebot

this compilation, available through emusic, actually has an awful lot of the early classic stuff

http://www.emusic.com/album/Various...ast-Present-Future-MP3-Download/10891348.html

but y'all be wanting the vinyl i'm sure

i started looking at that. you read my mind!

what i did find was they've reissued 10 twelve inches of classic todd on the back of it. walked to the till with 6 of them that i'd found, but the artwork was so repellant, and they were hideously expensive and literally stopped at the last minute.

the orginals are so bloody cheap y'see. dived into the m&v on saturday- went straight to the todd bin and picked out originals of 'alright alright' AND 'the mexican'. only set me back a tenner!

mms

sometimes
i started looking at that. you read my mind!

what i did find was they've reissued 10 twelve inches of classic todd on the back of it. walked to the till with 6 of them that i'd found, but the artwork was so repellant, and they were hideously expensive and literally stopped at the last minute.

the orginals are so bloody cheap y'see. dived into the m&v on saturday- went straight to the todd bin and picked out originals of 'alright alright' AND 'the mexican'. only set me back a tenner!

he's just got to be so unfashionable now that guy, it just sounds so magnificently dated that music, kind of so dated that sound quality wise it would sound almost laughable if you told someone it was ever cutting edge once, but with so many ideas and just a kind of seminal mix of latino sounds, uk house and techno , hip hop and funk it sounds like a kind of missed future compared to the way that dance music is now, rhythmically and culturally and of course production wise, those records are more kind of cultural mish mashes than hip hop ever was.

so dated that sound quality wise it would sound almost laughable if you told someone it was ever cutting edge once

Do you really think so?

I would agree if you were talking about Bonesbreaks, How & Little, Musto & Simonelli etc etc (other NYC contempraries) but I really think TT's productions stand up even today.

Yes they sound old, before music started having loads of sub-bass, but really bright and crunchy drums, good production IMO.

mms

sometimes
Do you really think so?

I would agree if you were talking about Bonesbreaks, How & Little, Musto & Simonelli etc etc (other NYC contempraries) but I really think TT's productions stand up even today.

Yes they sound old, before music started having loads of sub-bass, but really bright and crunchy drums, good production IMO.

hmm yes i think they are good but it's also the limitations of the equipment, he's clearly an amazing arranger, all those tiny sample snippets, those drum breaks, which is i guess one of the reasons that style didn't really continue, but they do sound kind kind of unslick, I guess at the moment i'm kind of obsessed with how dance has kind of got stuck around a 4 4 so easily over it's history, it seems to have almost totally come back to it, even though it evidently starts out being almost obsessed with creating crazy more flashy rhythmic experiences.

mms

sometimes
I always thought it referred to Todd Rundgren!!

I can't think of anything much to add here, although I've got a hip-house collaboration with T La Rock on Fresh Records (lovely generic sleeve design) from '89 that's a lot of fun.

http://www.discogs.com/release/41782

'flow with the rhythm' is another one he did, with todd, it's brilliant, great record, tough as old boots.

the brilliant record by t la is that omar santana mix of breakin bells, omar santana was one of the editing kings along with mantronix and the latin rascals, weirdly now he makes gabba.

Noah Baby Food

Todd Terry is a one-off, one of the most influential producers ever. I love Todd. As mentioned, the Royal House album is sooo damn funky. All his Unreleased Project EPs were great.

Dredstock - "Pump" (as I mentioned on another thread) is a banger. Black Riot 'A Day In The Life' - first person to use that siren stab.

Only playing his own productions when DJing, class arrogance.

Using exactly the same backing track for two different remixes - wish I could remember the details, but that was very controversial I seem to remember. Could one of them been a Bizarre Inc tune?

Youngbloods - 'Got Me Burning Up', Strictly Rhythm 1991. A tearing record, that dubby echo on the vocal sample and the big dischordant stab. Rave ammunition.

The habit of remixing ANYONE for some coin and just banging that shuffly Todd beat under it.

Good hip hop too, AV8 kinda block party style stuff - remember "To The Hip" by Bootman?

(re: Omar Santana making gabba now - it's also pretty crazy that Lenny Dee went down that road when you think of Fallout - "The Morning After" and all that early stuff)

lissajou

go ahead, treat yrself:

Todd Terry - Keep On Jumpin'
Todd Terry - Just Make That Move (Part Two)
Kym Mazelle - A Place In My Heart (Tee's Freeze Mix)
Definition Of Sound - Pass The Vibes (Underground Mixes)
Todd Terry Presents Dream Team (3) - Love Is What We Need
Todd Terry - Sax EP
Todd Terry - The Countdown
Todd Terry - Sound Design Part 2
Todd Terry Project, The - Put Your Hands Together
Todd Terry - The Unreleased Project Part 3
Total Ka-Os - My Love / Get On Up
Todd Terry Project, The - The Circus / Weekend
Todd Terry Project, The - Bango (To The Batmobile) / Back To The Beat
28th Street Crew, The - I Need A Rhythm
Hardhouse - Check This Out
No Face (2) - Hump Music
Royal House - Can You Party ?
Royal House - Yeah Buddy / The Chase
Static (3) - Dream It
Various - Fingertrips Vol. 1

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UMH4T0CA

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
For proof that turds can be polished very well indeed in you try hard enough, see Todd Terry's remix of 'Havana' by Kenny G. Both the original and dub mixes were monster monster UK garage tunes back in the day.

Oh, and Lissajou, that mix is great.

Last edited:

Blip

I searched for Check This Out for many many years, absolutely brilliant. Trademarked Todd snares.
And you will say that Weekend is cheesy but I don't care, that's just beautiful.

DJL

i'm joking
go ahead, treat yrself:

Todd Terry - Keep On Jumpin'
Todd Terry - Just Make That Move (Part Two)
Kym Mazelle - A Place In My Heart (Tee's Freeze Mix)
Definition Of Sound - Pass The Vibes (Underground Mixes)
Todd Terry Presents Dream Team (3) - Love Is What We Need
Todd Terry - Sax EP
Todd Terry - The Countdown
Todd Terry - Sound Design Part 2
Todd Terry Project, The - Put Your Hands Together
Todd Terry - The Unreleased Project Part 3
Total Ka-Os - My Love / Get On Up
Todd Terry Project, The - The Circus / Weekend
Todd Terry Project, The - Bango (To The Batmobile) / Back To The Beat
28th Street Crew, The - I Need A Rhythm
Hardhouse - Check This Out
No Face (2) - Hump Music
Royal House - Can You Party ?
Royal House - Yeah Buddy / The Chase
Static (3) - Dream It
Various - Fingertrips Vol. 1

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UMH4T0CA

Top mix! Thankyou :)

Noah Baby Food

I searched for Check This Out for many many years, absolutely brilliant. Trademarked Todd snares.
And you will say that Weekend is cheesy but I don't care, that's just beautiful.

'Weekend' is amazing! One of my favourite garage tunes ever, proper belting diva stuff which you'd have to have a heart of stone to not be moved by. Up there with "The Pressure" by Sounds of Blackness or "Workout" by Frankie Knuckles. Any of those three records could make me weep like a wee girl.

dHarry

'Weekend' is amazing! One of my favourite garage tunes ever, proper belting diva stuff which you'd have to have a heart of stone to not be moved by. Up there with "The Pressure" by Sounds of Blackness or "Workout" by Frankie Knuckles. Any of those three records could make me weep like a wee girl.
Add to that Kariya's Let Me Love You For Tonight, which is on this Todd (& others)-packed extravaganza - http://www.discogs.com/release/570811