Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

My girlfriend is part of a book group. They just read a sci-fi novel with a scene in which a Jesuit priest gets bumraped by a giant alien hamster. I think I should be getting suggestions from her for books for us guys, I mean she has a doctorate in literature from Oxford so she must know the good shit.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

id rather read my own books and talk to myself about them and pretend it's bookclub tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    My girlfriend is part of a book group. They just read a sci-fi novel with a scene in which a Jesuit priest gets bumraped by a giant alien hamster. I think I should be getting suggestions from her for books for us guys, I mean she has a doctorate in literature from Oxford so she must know the good shit.
    in all seriousness, that's actualy a good idea. which book is it?

I'd rather read the Canon at my own pace and choosing than some shit book imposed on me by a bunch of fuckers who would ask me "what was your favorite bit?"

he's the bad boy of the welsh literary intelligentsia. no fucks given

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka. View Post
    in all seriousness, that's actualy a good idea. which book is it?
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Read it years ago,can see why it'd appeal to serious lit people. Basically a sci-fi allegory for European first contact w/indigenous cultures (i.e. Jesuit missions). Pretty good on cultural misunderstandings (author has a PhD in some kinda anthro), the hypocrisy of more "advanced" cultures, different kinds of power relations in servitude context. Lots of religious/philosophic overtone. It's faded a bit in my mind as things do but I recall a bit of an Leguin vibe but more visceral. The alien rape is well grisly.

Also sign me up for a reignited dissensus book club. motivation to start reading serious(ish) literature again. how about Beowulf actually? in keeping with the dead boring English canon theme. could do Grendel by John Gardner with it, been meaning to read that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    he's the bad boy of the welsh literary intelligentsia. no fucks given
    nah that's Taliesin. or Dylan Thomas I guess.

craner I miss your fabulous essays. the Gulnara Karimova one especially.

Beowulf's in old english good luck with that. i looked at the first page of the seafarer yesterday and i think it's put me off for life. even chaucer seems a bit too daunting at this point. and reading beowulf in translation only takes an afternoon. not really meaty enough.

Back to PL for a moment. I love the sly digs at cardinals and monks. I also love how, considering Milton was a Christian and a Puritan at that, he makes Satan come across like a total dude.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you