Rustie

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
warp/bleep have put up a four track sampler from flying lotus' album and every track is great. can't wait for this album! out in june.

hud mo is one half of heralds of change - check out their 'puzzles' ep cos it's fanbloodytastic.

U-Basstard

tragic mix
hud mo remix of tweet - oops.... oh my! absolutely mint. only just heard that Debruit ep yesterday too, very similar styles, well worth a listen.

mms

sometimes
hudson mohawke signed to warp - got a single forthcoming on the numbers guys who did that label on warpmart at the mo.

elgato

I just dont know
hud mo remix of tweet - oops.... oh my! absolutely mint. only just heard that Debruit ep yesterday too, very similar styles, well worth a listen.

track 2 on the boomkat samples is mint too. wasn't sure about their other stuff, but this 12 sounded awesome

mms

sometimes
what with leila doing new stuff and portishead doing a new album is this a kind of trip hop mark 2 - certainly the spiralling mohawke and rustie things are well out there and trippy, lotus is well stoned journey biz and gaslamp etc, is reconfigured psychedelia///
from one angle anyway.

lamp post

Wild Horses
what with leila doing new stuff and portishead doing a new album is this a kind of trip hop mark 2 - certainly the spiralling mohawke and rustie things are well out there and trippy, lotus is well stoned journey biz and gaslamp etc, is reconfigured psychedelia///
from one angle anyway.

anything trippy = trip hop? not too sure about this, it seems to me like quite a stretch. it kinda reminds me of what everyone was saying about the 'nuum a few months ago; can't really group a wide range of artists into a convenient sentence...

mms

sometimes
anything trippy = trip hop? not too sure about this, it seems to me like quite a stretch. it kinda reminds me of what everyone was saying about the 'nuum a few months ago; can't really group a wide range of artists into a convenient sentence...

not really - its got equivalence, abstracted instrumental hip hop without mcs, mixed with electronics, occasional vocals, its not a stretch, as that's almost exactly what trip hop was overall. trip hop was equally as wide ranging.

I think one of the more distinctly "trip-hop" sounding tunes I've heard lately is Darkstar's 'Dead 2 Me'.

This directional shift is good news I'd think, no?

I'd agree that Hud Mo's 'Oops' is pretty sublime. Alot of this music, especially Rustie/Hud Mo makes me feel physically queasy or rather, woozy.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
it feels to me (esp with the way labels like hyperdub are going) that the whole 'underground' scene is incredibly energized at the moment- for the first time in what must be years there are a wealth of genres that are chucking out so much inventive shit that aren't necessarily sonically related but somehow also complement each other. In the peak of jungle all i cared about was jungle- nothing else compared but with PP on wednesday and Night Slugs in camberwell tonight- the pleasures are huge, the sonics disparate.

Maybe the link, the hook is simply BASS- dubstep obviously foregrounds this but bass is allowing all manner of beats to work in complement.

I guess i'm just trying to say- i"M FUCKING EXCITED right now :D

mms

sometimes
it feels to me (esp with the way labels like hyperdub are going) that the whole 'underground' scene is incredibly energized at the moment- for the first time in what must be years there are a wealth of genres that are chucking out so much inventive shit that aren't necessarily sonically related but somehow also complement each other. In the peak of jungle all i cared about was jungle- nothing else compared but with PP on wednesday and Night Slugs in camberwell tonight- the pleasures are huge, the sonics disparate.

Maybe the link, the hook is simply BASS- dubstep obviously foregrounds this but bass is allowing all manner of beats to work in complement.

I guess i'm just trying to say- i"M FUCKING EXCITED right now :D

yes and it's genuinely worldwide too, check all the places alot of people who are making fine music are coming from - who can quite easily fit into each others styles. Its ace.
cos of the internet in a way isn't it.
woozy does it.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
cos of the internet in a way isn't it.

without wanting to be remotely utopian about it (cos i'm certainly not) i think this HAS got alot to do with it.

Net culture was nothing like this 10 years ago. You only need to scroll through the events section here by itself to grab 100's of free mixes, mp3's. Also, look at Grevious Angels Dubstep Sufferah3, which has to be one of the very best dubstep mixes there is, thats wide-ranging and pulls grime back into the arena. Not only is it a forward thinking piece of sound, but it just lands here for all to grab.

I see it with groups like the late Coil. Truly esoteric, wholly uncomprimised because the need to seel through standard retail channels disappears. You build up a global audience and entirely through your own hands. Dubstep of course goes one step further, bringing the pressing of the vinyl itself into its own network.

optimum

Poochie
Rustie was really good last Saturday, Flylo was the other night too. This whole 'post-bump' movement does owe a lot to the dilla/madlib axis tho. Almost as if these new producers have combined the 'synthy' sounds of say Timbaland and the neptunes, with the 'bounce' factor of dill withers, Dabrye et al. Good to see that it's truly global too, down to the internets for sure

UFO over easy

online mahjong
definitely does mean good in this context, but I used it because it seemed an apt way to describe how visceral the sound was.. basslines coursing through you, but in a far less tempered way than in something like dubstep these days - it was raw, and felt violent

I come from london, it means good though in my circles. Not sure how widespread it is, but you could tell what I was talking about if this were in person from the way I would say it

ripley said:
check DLX's 8 bit by a vampire.. wooo!

yeah that tune is jokes! i was repping that for a while last year

Last edited:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i feel wonky is being thrown around to describe anything with synth worms and a slightly interseting beat....agree with post bump for the more hip hop side of things (flylo , rustie etc)

ripley

definitely does mean good in this context, but I used it because it seemed an apt way to describe how visceral the sound was.. basslines coursing through you, but in a far less tempered way than in something like dubstep these days - it was raw, and felt violent

I come from london, it means good though in my circles. Not sure how widespread it is, but you could tell what I was talking about if this were in person from the way I would say it

yeah that tune is jokes! i was repping that for a while last year

On the language tip - "jokes" is good?

optimum

Poochie
^^ jokes=funny. Agree with lazy bizones, too many people using the term 'wonky', kinda lost meaning. I always thought it applied to an unquantized late/early snare...

Also Blackdown mentioned Ryan Leslie, how is he 'wonky'? is there any new stuff about?

elgato

I just dont know
haha have you guys checked Ryan Leslie's myspace? some sick edited videos of his creative process... what a g. he seems like quite a joker also

he's amazing actually