Rustie

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
off topic but Pivot are playing a London show organised by a ridiculously eclectic promoting group called Tape This! quite soon - it's on at Bardens in stoke newington on april 25th

I don't suppose you've got a contact for them have you? (tape this!), I can't find them on the net but maybe I'm being a der.

tom pr

yeah that's right. it was extremely intense though and I hardly blame them for only playing half an hour. at that rate I wouldn't be able to keep going more than five minutes!
half an hour would be about right- it was more like fifteen/twenty mins when i saw them. I think it worked though, because i left the gig thinking 'i want to see more!' rather than ariel pink, who i saw play five songs and storm out and i just left thinking he was a tosser.

p.s. i am a bore who recommends them to everyone, but if you liked death set you should check out a record by ponytail called kamehameha. johnny from the death set lived with one of them, and produced it. That whole scene is really fascinating...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
p.s. i am a bore who recommends them to everyone, but if you liked death set you should check out a record by ponytail called kamehameha. johnny from the death set lived with one of them, and produced it. That whole scene is really fascinating...

I don't even really know what scene it is to be honest, death set seemed to be coming from about 100 different places at once, which is partly why I liked them. I might've got that vibe just because I've only ever heard their music that one time, played live and incredibly hyperactively. I never checked out their studio stuff, though I did mean to. What scene would you call it?

tom pr

There's this whole bunch of diy punk and noise bands from the baltimore area, centred around a couple of warehouses and art spaces where they play shows (though I think one of the big ones is out of action now). Dan deacon seems to be the figurehead of it as he puts on a lot of the shows and fests, the bands include ponytail, death set, ecstastic sunshine, double dagger, wzt hearts... I'm far from an expert on it but the records are amazing.

I investigated it a bit when I interviewed the death set, my friend raven who did the intro knows much more about it though as she actually lives there. would recommend the death set's rad warehouses ep from last year for some of their studio work - they've got an album out on counter (new ninja tune imprint) very soon but the EPs are best imo.

viktorvaughn

haha, I always call it bardens too.. bardens boudoir sounds so appalling. almost competing with 'madame jojos' for most irritating venue name in london :D

Pivot seem cool, but I don't know very much about them. The promoters are friends and I checked 'em after reading that they were putting them on - just been signed to warp, they fit the label in its current form pretty well from the sounds of things considering their other recent signings. I just mentioned them because someone upthread mentioned the Rustie remix of one of their tunes, which is really cool. Have a gander on myspace!

Just to harp on a bit more about the promoters - they really are worth checking out as a group. They put on Death Set at bardens the other month, which was absolutely mental, and to completely flip it they did a Peter and the Wolf show at the luminaire last week. Good people for sure.

OK, cheers. Very silly name.

mos dan

fact music
I investigated it a bit when I interviewed the death set, my friend raven who did the intro knows much more about it though as she actually lives there. would recommend the death set's rad warehouses ep from last year for some of their studio work - they've got an album out on counter (new ninja tune imprint) very soon but the EPs are best imo.

massively off topic, but how the hell did you end up with a friend called raven? that's been bothering me.

on topic: i took a photo of that 'wonky is good' advert having rinsed blackdown's feb show to death "it's a wonky one, but that's how we like it", and have been meaning to blog it. but i don't think it's going to happen. wonky is good though still ;)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Heralds of Change - Spotted

it's on hudson mo's myspace i think

Cheers- great tune.

I take it Kode has latched onto this stuff through the glasgow connection then?

Joker is the one, hope Electric Sea etc. come out soonish

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Use this thread as a justification for the shoddy technical standards of your radio show, son.

Say ''it's supposed to be wonkzeyz, haven't you heard Kode and Flylo, u imbecile?''

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What am I going to do with these neon sunglasses and this three grammes of k, then?

WEAR them?

SNORT it?

viktorvaughn

I have been hopelessly late getting the latest few Hyperdub releases but that One Spliff A Day tune is quality innit. And the A side of the Ikonika one too. I thought the Lime one was a bit bland on first listen though.

Has Kode himself got on the wonk-synth tip yet? I haven't had access to radio for six months. What are the latest tunes he has done himself? Magnetic City was amazing.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
he was doing stuff you could probably describe as wonky a while ago.. stuff like stung and the woozy with cider remix. or that fucked tune Ice back in 2005