Euro 2008 - we support our local team

crackerjack

2-0. Villa again, Spain are pissing this. If I thought this was gonna have much bearing on the second round I'd be feeling very good about my bet right now.

hucks

Your Message Here
Spain 4-1 Russia

I'm supposed to be supporting Russia, so it looks like I'll need a new team for the 2nd round. They're decent enough going forward - and that was without two of their best attacking players - but their defending was awful.

Spain were wicked, though. But Germany will beat them.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
They won't meet until the final. I'll take my chances there: Villa, Torres, Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas could drill holes through any defence

Sure. Their own defence looks pretty drillable, tho. I was really impressed with Silva, who I didn't know anything about. They've got so many tiny and tidy midfielders in Spain, all so comfortable on the ball. Senna was good as the enforcer, too. You can see why Fabregas can't get into the side.

crackerjack

You can see why Fabregas can't get into the side.

Yet when he came on, he was awesome.

You're right abut their defence - I think Spain's chances rest on the old Kevin Keegan, we're-gonna-score-one-more-than-you theory. Hopefully these fucking Greeks will have been eliminated before the semis.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I'm supposed to be supporting Russia, so it looks like I'll need a new team for the 2nd round. They're decent enough going forward - and that was without two of their best attacking players - but their defending was awful."
Yeah, nipped out and watched it after 1-0. In fairness I thought that Russia were pretty good as well, just didn't have the absolute ruthlessness of Spain in front of goal and arguably lost concentration at the back at crucial moments. I wouldn't blame the defender too much for the first goal, it was more that he took it off Torres and then Torres got it back before he could clear it than the way it was described on bbc website as Torres catching him in possession.
The second goal was great though, Russia put together a nice move to win the corner but Spain cleared it straight away and built a good move - thing is, when you see the final ball from Iniesta (I think) you can only see one other Spaniard in the picture and about six Russians so you have to say that they got back well but the movement and pass were so good.
That last goal was definitely offside though.
Hopefully this is the last we'll hear of "England went out not because they were rubbish but because Croatia and Russia are much better sides than any one gives them credit for being".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Spain started with two strikers by the way.

Anyone see the other game last night? Greece must be bad if Ibrahimovic scored, he's got to be the most over rated player in the top levels of football, I've never seen him put a foot right.

jenks

thread death
Took his goal very well though - first decent screamer from outside the box in the tournament, I think.

So after one round of matches, what have we learnt?

Portugal, Spain, Holland and Germany, it appears to me, have been by far the best sides. That there has only been one draw - Group C and thus no major surprise.
Only one losing side has managed to score a goal (Russia last night).

With the second round of matches starting tonight we'll start seeing who is going home and who has got a decent coach to turn things around - I loved Donadoni as a player but has he got the smarts to turn Italy around?

mos dan

fact music
Spain started with two strikers by the way.

Anyone see the other game last night? Greece must be bad if Ibrahimovic scored, he's got to be the most over rated player in the top levels of football, I've never seen him put a foot right.

greece were so bad. the game was so bad. it got to half-time and we couldn't stand it anymore and went to miso for food instead.

today should be better, thank god. i see my undewhelming-but-beloved czechs are starting baros today. god, baros. let's hope it's the 2004 baros that turns up, not the 2005-2008 baros. if we beat portugal i will be pretty surprised, but i still fancy portugal to be randomly shit, idea-less, and incohesive at some point.. i don't know which point.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Portugal, Spain, Holland and Germany, it appears to me, have been by far the best sides. That there has only been one draw - Group C and thus no major surprise."
Do you not think that Italy getting beat 3-0 was a major surprise? It was to me.

"I loved Donadoni as a player but has he got the smarts to turn Italy around?"
Annoyingly, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know what it is but Italy (and Germany for that matter) just somehow seem to have this winning mentality which means that even in the years when they don't have a vintage side they always seem to win it or be close. If there is no outstanding side (like at the last world cup) then you can bank on one of those two winning it. Anyway it's not that hard to imagine that Italy will beat France and Romania on Monday's showing.

jenks

thread death
Do you not think that Italy getting beat 3-0 was a major surprise? It was to me.

I meant that the draw was no major surprise. The tonking Italy took was a surprise as I really didn't expect the Dutch to be that well organised.

Surely the French have got to play better? I can see the Italy/France match being a brutal affair as each attempts to play to stay in the tournament.

Will Henry start? I'd fancy the old Henry against that Italian backline but then again that Italian midfield must surely play better - I can't quite believe them getting done on two counter attacking moves. Gattuso was a major disappointment and Del Piero needed a walking stick when he came on.

But maybe it's all abit early - what's that saying 'up like a rocket and down like the stick', maybe Spain ought to take heed of that.

crackerjack

greece were so bad. the game was so bad. it got to half-time and we couldn't stand it anymore and went to miso for food instead.

I got so bored I watched Panorama, all about US private contractors embezzling $26b from the Iraq reconstruction fund. of the two, panorama was marginally the less depressing

IdleRich

IdleRich
Early goal for Portugal!

1707: GOAL Czech Republic 0-1 Portugal
Deco scrambles in and the Portuguese are in front.

IdleRich

IdleRich
GOAL Czech Republic 1-1 Portugal
Libor Sionko levels for the Czechs. Jaroslav Plasil swings over a corner from the right and one of the smallest men on the pitch, Sionko, powers a diving header into the roof of the Portugal net. Great finish, quality game.

IdleRich

IdleRich
1736: Milan Baros is causing Ricardo Carvalho all sorts of problems. After their respective performances in the Premier League last season, I can't quite believe I just wrote that sentence.

hucks

Your Message Here
Yeah, I've no idea what's happening now. If only there were some sort of football website I could go to..