Euro 2008 - we support our local team

IdleRich

IdleRich
"france v holland too, christ what a game. thanks for joining the humblers rich! hope your 5-a-side tourno went well."
Yeah, nice to meet you and your friend. I'll take a look at that blog for definite. Picked a good game to watch as well. Also up for a kick around some time if you need extra players.
5-a-side was fucking great, I wish someone would organise a tournament like that for me to play in every weekend. We went out in the quarter-finals, one stage better than last year and I would say we had a marginally weaker team so that's got to be a good reflection on our performance. It's tough because the teams who finish second in the groups go into the second round and the winners go straight into the quarters, the upshot being that when we came to play the team who eventually beat us they had had almost two hours rest whereas we had just finished a game ten minutes before. No complaints though, they were better than us and although we held out for a long time we were just defending with no outlet and it came straight back us after every clearance. I absolutely ran myself into the ground over the course of six games and I could barely walk yesterday but I was happy with my performance and pleased to finish as top scorer with four goals.

"while also delighted for the locals of dalstanbul honking their horns and chanting on kingsland road last night.. too many mixed emotions. when i'm over the disappointment i'm ready to get fully behind turkiye though - bring on croatia!"
That must have been amazing, I bet they were going batshit.

crackerjack

since this tournament has failed to live down to my expectations i'll make one last stab at gloom - the winners of the France-Italy showdown to squeak through ahead of Romania, beat Spain in the q/f, get their revenge on the dutch in the semis (they're too good to last the pace) and beat croatia or Portugal in the final. Bastards.

Last night was just mental - got back home in time to catch the highlights and without knowing the score. The Turks have real dash about them (last half hour of their Swiss game was amazing too), but they won't beat Croatia.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In this Euro tournament, if two teams finish draw their last group game and it means that they finish level on points in joint second position, then it goes down to penalties to decide who progresses right? Seems reasonable when it's like that but what if on the last day two teams finish level who are not playing against each other? Presumably they don't arrange a shoot out between those two sides so does it go to a coin toss in that situation or what? I mean, it's unlikely to arise but it seems like a strange situation or am I missing something?

"since this tournament has failed to live down to my expectations i'll make one last stab at gloom - the winners of the France-Italy showdown to squeak through ahead of Romania, beat Spain in the q/f, get their revenge on the dutch in the semis (they're too good to last the pace) and beat croatia or Portugal in the final. Bastards."
I think that a couple of us have already expressed a similar belief. I'm not at all sure that Romania will beat Holland so that means that one out of France or Italy is likely to go through and it that happens the rest isn't too much of a stretch.

mos dan

fact music
In this Euro tournament, if two teams finish draw their last group game and it means that they finish level on points in joint second position, then it goes down to penalties to decide who progresses right? Seems reasonable when it's like that but what if on the last day two teams finish level who are not playing against each other? Presumably they don't arrange a shoot out between those two sides so does it go to a coin toss in that situation or what? I mean, it's unlikely to arise but it seems like a strange situation or am I missing something?

yeah we were talking about this - i think the next criterion down the list after penalties is the 'qualifying coefficient' from the last two tournaments/qualifying campaigns or something, a ludicrously complex number that takes into account your record, but more specifically who you were playing against...

after that it's fair play.

after that they draw straws.

off to the jolly gardeners to watch germany-austria shortly if anyone wants to join the humblefootballers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"yeah we were talking about this - i think the next criterion down the list after penalties is the 'qualifying coefficient' from the last two tournaments/qualifying campaigns or something, a ludicrously complex number that takes into account your record, but more specifically who you were playing against..."
But my point is, you could have two groups where two teams finish on equal everything, in one group the two teams who finish level play each other last so the team that goes through is decided on a shoot-out, in the other group the teams who finish level played first so they can't have a shoot-out and it goes to drawing a straw - that seems inconsistent and unfair.

hucks

Your Message Here
Well, my adopted Russians are through. They were brilliant tonight, absolutely destroyed Sweden. Both the teams that knocked out England have now turned in some decent performances. Not sure what to conclude from that, tbh.

Portugal V Germany tomorrow. You Cannot Write Off The Germans, obviously, and I think Martin O'Neill's point Portugal are not best placed to exploit Germany's most obvious weakness (centre halves who cannot move) is an interesting one. Also their full backs, Lahm in particular, are well equipped to deal with wossisname.

Anyway, this has been as good a tournament as I can remember so far. Fingers crossed it doesn't go all negative as the stakes rise...

mos dan

fact music
Martin O'Neill's point Portugal are not best placed to exploit Germany's most obvious weakness (centre halves who cannot move) is an interesting one.

it's been hilarious watching o'neill routinely embarrass the rest of the clubby-but-dim pundits (and lineker obvs) by actually having a brain cell or two working... they look rather confused by that weird quality he is - what's it called again, insight? - bless them.

agree it's been a great tournament (save for the first few games), and share your concern about tactics changing in the knock-out rounds.

i can't decide whether to brave south lambeth road for the portugal game. the 'we support our local team' idea has generally been a great success - most notably games with holland, germany, and turkey fans - but i just hate portugal so much.

crackerjack

Cafe Kick for tonight'ss match. Allegedly a Portuguese bar, though i've never seen any evidence beyond the label on the lager.

hucks

Your Message Here
Portugal 1 - 3 Germany

Portugal V Germany tomorrow. You Cannot Write Off The Germans, obviously, and I think Martin O'Neill's point Portugal are not best placed to exploit Germany's most obvious weakness (centre halves who cannot move) is an interesting one. Also their full backs, Lahm in particular, are well equipped to deal with wossisname.

And what O'Neill also said, and what I should've quoted cos that would have made me look cleverer, is that Portugal can't defend set pieces. Before, during and after the game, Neville, G kept on saying that You Can Never Write Off The Germans. The contrast between him and someone who actually knows what he's talking about is incredible.

Belated props to Jenks for this, tho

I said earlier that France/Italy could be brutal and i think we may well see a sending off.

Called the key moment of that game. Hats off!

mos dan

fact music
And what O'Neill also said, and what I should've quoted cos that would have made me look cleverer, is that Portugal can't defend set pieces. Before, during and after the game, Neville, G kept on saying that You Can Never Write Off The Germans. The contrast between him and someone who actually knows what he's talking about is incredible.

just shockingly dumb, isn't he? more gormless than a thousand fish. in that respect will prob become a vital part of the itv team. i can't believe those retards have the premiership, it's a disgrace.

itv punditry highlight of the night, at half-time:

"well, the germans started the game like a house on fire"

brilliant.

on the plus side, portugal are out, and my german friend suddenly realises why us engerlish hate ronaldo so much. bye bye! have fun winning nothing at real madrid next year!

nomos

Administrator
on the plus side, portugal are out, and my german friend suddenly realises why us engerlish hate ronaldo so much. bye bye! have fun winning nothing at real madrid next year!
that writhing performance in the first half was over the top even for him. i can't wait to see the back of him.

nomos

Administrator
re: the locals... i walked into my usual arsenal-watching pub in french colours last week only to find the place wall-to-wall oranje at 3 in the afternoon on a weekday. they were very nice about my gaff though, no hard looks, just a hint of good-natured pity. we retreated to an empty pub down the road where we directed the only other customer (also dutch) down to the other place.

it's hard not to like the crush though isn't it? and van persie is finally right back in top form.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
Belated props to Jenks for this, tho

Called the key moment of that game. Hats off!

Jenks gets football punditry right for a change! It'll never last.

Anyone think a Germany Russia final is one the cards?

jenks

thread death
just shockingly dumb, isn't he? more gormless than a thousand fish. in that respect will prob become a vital part of the itv team. i can't believe those retards have the premiership, it's a disgrace.

itv punditry highlight of the night, at half-time:

"well, the germans started the game like a house on fire"

QUOTE]

I now watch ITV matches with the sound down - it's just so parochial. The match becomes about Ronaldo of Manchester United v Ballack of Chelsea. It's the same in Champs League, they feel they have to support the English side and distort the commentary accordingly.

Neville is worse than probably any other pundit I have seen for a very long time - my favourite pub quote this tournament was the description of Ribery as 'an even uglier version of Gary Neville'

mos dan

fact music
'liverpoolsfernando' as a first name - ha that's brilliant.

re: the locals... i walked into my usual arsenal-watching pub in french colours last week only to find the place wall-to-wall oranje at 3 in the afternoon on a weekday. they were very nice about my gaff though, no hard looks, just a hint of good-natured pity. we retreated to an empty pub down the road where we directed to only other customer (also dutch) down to the other place.

it's hard not to like the crush though isn't it? and van persie is finally right back in top form.

i agree about holland, just so much fun to watch. holland russia is going to be a corker. i forgot you were arsenal paul! i live in arsenal-land with some very serious arsenal fans now - going to the 'emirates cup' with them in august, when we may get to see them take on ronaldo in real madrid colours.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Blimey, Russia were pretty good weren't they? Still lacked ruthlessness in front of goal though and that was what did for them against Spain, plus they could easily have shipped a few with their poor marking at set pieces. Every second round game has gone against expectations with the runner-up winning.