Euro 2008 - we support our local team

hucks

Your Message Here
Blimey, Russia were pretty good weren't they?

They're the team I chose to follow - I spent a year in St Petersburg as a student, and became a big fan of Zenit, not least 'cos they were endearingly crap at the time. I've still got friends there, and they got me tickets to the UEFA cup final in Manc. So from there on I've been a fan, not least of Andrei Arshavin. That man is a don. Two games played and he's player of the tournament. I saw some transfer rumours earlier this week linking him with Man City. What's LOL in Russian, I wonder?

craner

Beast of Burden
I was watching a football match by accident the other day, and one of the TV commentators actually said "it's England's nemesis versus England's nemesis!"

crackerjack

I was watching a football match by accident the other day, and one of the TV commentators actually said "it's England's nemesis versus England's nemesis!"

That'll be the Germany-Croatia game then, or perhaps Germany-Portugal (we have a plethora of nemesi/nemeses/nemesises).

How exactly do you watch a football match by accident? Were you convinced it was Eastenders until a pitchside mic caught ssomeone swearing in the wrong accent?

craner

Beast of Burden
How exactly do you watch a football match by accident? Were you convinced it was Eastenders until a pitchside mic caught ssomeone swearing in the wrong accent?

I was sitting in a pub in Pimlico happily reading Cousin Pons when he landlord switched the TV on. Not because anyone asked him too, or because the pub was filled with braying football fans. Anyway, I was kind of...mesmerised. But it wasn't how I planned to spend my evening, shall we say.

mos dan

fact music
I was sitting in a pub in Pimlico happily reading Cousin Pons

that's a wonderfully only-on-dissensus sentence, especially in the football thread. superb :)

i'm so glad the italians got dumped out - tactics that defensive deserve to be punished. who then would've predicted

germany vs turkey
russia vs spain

as the semis?? none of the group of death left in it, the turks not even given a chance to progress to the knock-outs by most pundits...

it hardly needs to be said, but kingsland road on friday night was pretty mental, the turks couldn't believe it. we even got half-time entertainment in the form of a massive ruck in the middle of the high street.

hucks

Your Message Here
Where are the Russians? Where are they watching the games? Apparently there's like 100,000 of them or something in London....

craner

Beast of Burden
that's a wonderfully only-on-dissensus sentence, especially in the football thread.

It's my life, man, though I've never noticed another Dissensian in a Pimlico pub reading Balzac, and I'd be happy to meet one. I feel like one of the few anti-footballers left in this country, and I blame Baddiel & Skinner and the fucking Sky Premier League for ruining part of my enjoyment of life.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Man, that was a boring game last night. Mainly thanks to Italy but Spain couldn't impose themselves enough either. I went to the pub and watched the ninety minutes but full time coincided with me finishing my drink. I weighed up whether or not it was worth the price of a pint to remain for the next thirty minutes of "entertainment" and wisely decided to forgo it and go back home and read my book.

crackerjack

Where are the Russians? Where are they watching the games? Apparently there's like 100,000 of them or something in London....

Too rich for the likes of us. They're either at the tournament or watching on giant plasma TV screens somewhere in Kensington.

I was very happy with last night's boring-as-fuck match. A few stuffy wins are just what Spain need on the march to victory.

hucks

Your Message Here
I was very happy with last night's boring-as-fuck match. A few stuffy wins are just what Spain need on the march to victory.

Yeah, it was exactly the kind of game Spain always lose, so fair play to them. Also, Fabregas absolutely has to start in the semi - so much quicker and more direct than Xavi, plays to Villa and Torres's strengths.

The Spain - Russia game should be a belter. THe first match between them was pretty good for a while, then Russia gave up and it got a bit embarrassing. They're obviously playing much better now, a lot of which is down to having Arshavin back.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Yeah, it was exactly the kind of game Spain always lose, so fair play to them. Also, Fabregas absolutely has to start in the semi - so much quicker and more direct than Xavi, plays to Villa and Torres's strengths."
True enough, Xavi is very tidy and intelligent but doesn't quite seem to hurt teams. I thought Torres was just starting to look a bit lively when they took him off yesterday but really he and Villa were feeding on scraps.

"The Spain - Russia game should be a belter. THe first match between them was pretty good for a while, then Russia gave up and it got a bit embarrassing. They're obviously playing much better now, a lot of which is down to having Arshavin back."
Yeah, although it would have been better if the tournament was organised so people in the same groups went into the other half of the draw. I thought Russia were ok against Spain but toothless after some very nice moves whereas Villa put them to the sword. The Fabregas goal at the end was blatantly offside though.

hucks

Your Message Here
Yeah, although it would have been better if the tournament was organised so people in the same groups went into the other half of the draw.

Apparently it's to ensure that the number of rest days doesn't disproportionately benefit one team or another. If you mixed up the halves of the draw, Russia would be playing Germany next, with Germany having had two extra days off. Instead, Russia play Spain, with Russia having had one extra day. I'm sure they could have come up with something, though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I'm sure they could have come up with something, though."
Yeah, that's what I think, I mean, it's not normally this way is it? Each semi had a fifty-fifty chance of being a replay of a group game - that's rubbish.

mos dan

fact music
that's a wonderfully only-on-dissensus sentence, especially in the football thread.

It's my life, man, though I've never noticed another Dissensian in a Pimlico pub reading Balzac, and I'd be happy to meet one. I feel like one of the few anti-footballers left in this country, and I blame Baddiel & Skinner and the fucking Sky Premier League for ruining part of my enjoyment of life.

i have a few mates who share your pain/antipathy, you are not alone. also, a similar sounding gathering to the one you describe takes place in dalston occasionally. i don't think there have been any in pimlico though sorry.

my own pain has been a whole night without a game tonight.. it's been brutal. my housemates and i have been shaking our heads in disgust at the tennis starting - as if it could be any kind of a replacement. ugh, tennis.

crackerjack

Turkiye! Turkiye! Turkiye!

this time they really are screwed, surely. This is disappointing, too, from the bbc:

"coach Fatih Terim has ruled out using third-choice keeper Tolga Zengin as an outfield player"

never underestimate the mighty turk, though

http://humblefootball.blogspot.com/2008/06/turkey-1-croatia-1-highlights-trkiye.html

how big's their squad now then - 13, 14 with Zengin? they should feign a few injuries before kick off, watch UEFA change the rules in a hurry