Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008 - we support our local team

Every neutral has to support the Turks but surely, surely the fairy-tale is finally going to come to an end tonight.

A Brighton reject will see them through

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...m_getty300.jpg

Sorry I cannot bring myself to support the Turkey team

They really haven't played that well and I can see the steam roller of Germany claiming yet another final berth

Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    tbf to CKR he was only rejected because he fell out with Mark McGee - easily done by all accounts.

Where to watch the Spain-Russia game from a Spanish point of view? Ie which tapas bar?

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Where to watch the Spain-Russia game from a Spanish point of view? Ie which tapas bar?
    The Vibe Bar in Brick Lane had quite a Spanish contingent when they played Italy the other day.

Brilliant.

Well, everyone said that Russia wouldn't lose four - one again and I guess they were kinda right. I didn't see it because I was playing football at the time, how was it, were they worth 3-0?

Spain absolutely caned them second half, especially after the first goal. Russia just gave up. First half was a bit more even, Russia had a couple fo ecent chances, but second half Spain were brilliant, Fabregas, who came on as a support striker, in particular.

Also, Spain defended really well. Ramos and Puyol were solid, and Senna marked Arshavin out of the game. They haven't let in a goal in the last two games now.

Well, fair play, everyone thought that Russia might give them a game but on aggregate it's 7-1 and Spain have won every game (unless you say they drew against Italy). They have to start as favourites for the final don't they?

"Ramos and Puyol were solid"
    Something I never expected to read.

"Senna marked Arshavin out of the game."
    Senna's been very good in the tournament but for me the one who really makes things happen for them is Silva.

it was fairly even, slightly in Russia's favour, until Fab replaced Villa on 35 mins. From that momnet on they passed them off the park.

It was illuminating hearing the commentary before and during on Arshavin. Beforehand on Radio 5 everyone seemed to be questioning the scouts for failing to spot this incredible talent until he was 27, but no one ever asked the question, what if he's only a good player who's just had two outstanding games. Then about 80 mins in Pleat said he'd never seen anyone come into a match on such scintillating form and fall off so sharply, which seemed a bit harsh.

Anyway, Fabregas and Iniesta were amazing, Xavi fairly average apart from the goal, Torres ran the defence ragged but misfired his few chances. Ramos had one of his best games and Silva and Senna just destroyed them, barely gave the ball away all night.

"It was illuminating hearing the commentary before and during on Arshavin. Beforehand on Radio 5 everyone seemed to be questioning the scouts for failing to spot this incredible talent until he was 27, but no one ever asked the question, what if he's only a good player who's just had two outstanding games. Then about 80 mins in Pleat said he'd never seen anyone come into a match on such scintillating form and fall off so sharply, which seemed a bit harsh."
    Yeah, this kind of thing bugs me but it always goes on. I remember when Arsenal and Inter were in the same group in the Euros a few years back and Inter thrashed Arsenal at home. All the papers were filled with talk of how it demonstrated the relative strengths of the teams involved, of the leagues etc a few months later Arsenal went to Inter and won them 4-1 - suddenly the premier league is way stronger than Serie A, Arsenal are a quantum ahead of Inter etc etc - I know "you're only as good as your last game" is a saying in football but people actually seem to believe it to a ridiculous extent.

another enjoyable game!

i was joking with my housemate about the abysmal itv commentary, and the whole 'liverpoolsfernando torres' shtick, and about fabregas and the 'they call him' meme, i.e. 'they call him spain's gerrard/lampard/etc' - but then we both realised that this comparison wasn't really fair on cesc, and that arguably every single member of the spanish midfield (and let's bear in mind cesc doesn't even get in this midfield as first choice!) has better ball retention than every england midfielder.

and that this is perhaps an integral reason why we aren't in these championships. our qualifying campaign was just an endless litany of needlessly giving the ball away, it was horrifying to watch.

even my team, wimbledon, always had awful ball retention when i was a season ticket holder in the 90s, but that didn't really matter because they didn't need to hang on to it - there was only one way they were going: forward, quickly. and england haven't even been able to do that in recent years.