Early digi reggae

D

droid

No, it's a Jammy's (the later, bluer label, I think) the flip isn't a version, it's a tune with a female singer whose name escapes me. Can dig it out tomorrow tho.

Yeah, I have a couple of those - the spanner banner and Richie Spice 7s. No versions on any of them. The original instrumental is nicer i think. the new version is softer and a bit more conventional.

Best tunes on the riddim have to be on the original cut: 'kill dem wit it' by Bailey, and 'head to toe' by frankie Paul - in which he drops a verse from Cameos 'word up'. :)

D

droid

Tubbys' firehouse smasher:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Poor old king Everald...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
has anyone mentioned ujama on here? seems to be quite a few re-presses turning up in recent months too.

Horace Ferguson - Sensi Addict
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

counteraction:
U Roy - Musical Addict

wicked jahtari update:
Mikey Murka - Sensi Addict

crackerjack

sufi

lala
1989 style

who can tell me about this then??
http://riddim.nl/PHPDVD/album.php?title=Warrior+Dub!&artist=Zulu+Warriors&medium=LP

warriordub.jpg

seminalist roots/digi cross-over?

john eden

male pale and stale
Not heard it Sufi but I assume Steve M is Steve Mosco, aka Jah Warrior aka Reggaemusicstore.com

He also released some other stuff on Mr Modo, as did Manasseh.

datura

white collar loafer
I've been picking up some stuff off a guy on e-bay. I was a little late to digi, I used to be a 70s roots diehard, but recently found myself really enjoying a lot of early digi, particularly the Tenor Saw, Courtney Melody style stuff.

Anyone know the Tenor Saw - I Know or Courtney Melody - Screechie Across the Border? Those are killer.

Any recommendation of that kind of style?

D

droid

You could do worse than checking out some of the mid-late 80s stuff on techniques. 'haffi fly out' and 'terrorist' riddims for a start.

john eden

male pale and stale
The Maximum Pressure/Pressure Sounds Techniques comps is wicked - as are their Digital B, Jammys and Xterminator ones.

datura

white collar loafer
Thanks for your recommendations, I have the Techniques comp on Maximum Pressure, and have been trying to find the Jammy’s one but it seems to be out of press at the moment unfortunately. I also have the White Mice (essential) and the other Basic Replay’s.

I’ve been buying quite a few bits off Enthucol on E-Bay, highly recommended, and he puts up audio clips as well.

I haven’t seen these mixes posted, but both are excellent:

Mastermind Computer Style:

Vol1 http://firehouse.dancehall.dk/mastermind_computer_style.mp3

Vol2 http://firehouse.dancehall.dk/Mastermind_Computer_Style_v2.mp3

Client Eastwood

Recently picked up on King Jammy Selectors Choice comps on CD only got 2 of 4 volumes so far but they are pretty good, basically five or six vocals on the same rydim. Well worth the money.

There's also a George Peng (Powerhouse) Selectors Choice comp out too. Which Ill check when I have more money.

D

droid

Those Jammys ones suffer from some nasty limiting/compression. Wish i hadn't bought them now... better options for Jammys compilations are:

KING+JAMMYS.jpg

or

dancehallroots.jpg

Which is probably the best. Great variety of riddims and artists.

Also good for an introduction is:

digital_reggae.115wide.jpg