Early digi reggae

viktorvaughn

Oh God did not realise Bass Culture book was 500 odd pages long...I'm having trouble finishing even decent novels at the moment, that is going to take me tiiiiiiiiiime. So much film and internet stuff and music to gloriously distract me.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Oh God did not realise Bass Culture book was 500 odd pages long...I'm having trouble finishing even decent novels at the moment, that is going to take me tiiiiiiiiiime. So much film and internet stuff and music to gloriously distract me.

it's big print mind ;)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
it's big print mind ;)
And there's pictures and everything.

Plus (ironically, given the thread) you can kind of skip most of the dancehall stuff since at that point it pretty much devolves into a bunch of older producers complaining about how there's no craft involved anymore and all the lyrics are just sex and violence.

It's amazing up to there though. My girlfriend (who admittedly didn't know much about reggae or JA society and culture beforehand) rated it as "the best history book of any sort she'd read in ages" which isn't bad given that she's doing a history PhD.

viktorvaughn

Plus (ironically, given the thread) you can kind of skip most of the dancehall stuff since at that point it pretty much devolves into a bunch of older producers complaining about how there's no craft involved anymore and all the lyrics are just sex and violence.

It's amazing up to there though. My girlfriend (who admittedly didn't know much about reggae or JA society and culture beforehand) rated it as "the best history book of any sort she'd read in ages" which isn't bad given that she's doing a history PhD.

Thanks for the encouragement...will get on the case, maybe take to work and read at lunchtime or something.

Client Eastwood

Yeah its like reggae never moved on since the 70's. Its still seen as the golden age. Same with soul too.

There seems to be a certain distain for electronic production methods in some circles be it in reggae, soul, hip hop, dance (ie when house came out).

ether

Yeah its like reggae never moved on since the 70's. Its still seen as the golden age. Same with soul too.

There seems to be a certain distain for electronic production methods in some circles be it in reggae, soul, hip hop, dance (ie when house came out).

Very good point, puts me in mind of a conversation I had with a long serving and respected reggae music journalist a few years back, he referred to it as the 'the island records effect' he thought the label basically created a myth for marketing purposes that all good JA music was recorded before 1980.

viktorvaughn

Clocked this over Xmas, it's ace!

Except for the the out of hand dismissal of dancehall obviously (and UK rap he dismisses in a single line too plus he says of punks that they could 'wash their faces and return to the real world' -when black uk 80s teenagers couldn't- which sounded a bit of a generalisation, i mean it was pretty tough to be young white and unemployed in the 80s too right?!)

Client Eastwood

Ive not had a chance to read all of the above but i get the idea.

I cant define it musically as my writing is nowhere near as good but using
examples id go for something along these lines in chronological order. Id say this
change happened over two or three years. The instrumentation changing over time. Whether its programmed or not i dont think it matters.

Rub-a-dub - Eek A Mouse, Toyan
to
Digikal - Red Rose, Nitty Gritty
to
Early ragga - Admiral Bailey, Shabba

In a way all dancehall vibes.