Nina Simone

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
cheers - i'm guessing this is nina's version, but i'm a bit confused by the emergency ward sleeve being shown on youtube, cos it's not on that...

crackerjack

Can't believe we've got this far in a Nina thread and no one's mentioned this yet

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Also, her Bee Gees covers crack me into little bits every single time, especially this one. "I used to have a brain/ I used to think of many things".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IdleRich

IdleRich
"is that the original of Season of the Witch? Who else did it...Luna I think...?"
Donovan originally. Think David Axelrod/Lou Rawls did a version... there must be loads of people actually.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I think it's one of those perpetual searches. Gris Gris is one of my favourite albums ever - I can sing every moment of it in my head walking down the street - but every time one looks for 'voodoo funk' or whatever, none of it ever quite comes up to the mark, yet!, but one can still hope.

Please don't forget this:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Will def give it a listen later.

Anyone got any other tips regarding voodoo funk? As mistersloane said, it's the eternal search that never seems to yield much beyond Gris Gris and Exuma...

crackerjack

Will def give it a listen later.

Anyone got any other tips regarding voodoo funk? As mistersloane said, it's the eternal search that never seems to yield much beyond Gris Gris and Exuma...

also, check out Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - original West African voodoo funk. There's a couple of comps of theirs around

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Nice one!

Is the Orchestre from Benin? Not sure if I'm thinking of the right group here...but if they are, then I know who you mean but foolishly never checked them out.