synth britannia - BBC4

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thank you! Dissensus is truly a Godlike resource.

Clip of next week's show which presumably was on TV anyway:

Iggy on Neu! !

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
well, it became that, but when i first heard it it was the future, regardless of whether i liked it or not.

don't blame the pre-cursers and all that

the stuff in part I can still relate to :)

like the first time I heard Nag Nag Nag in 1979
what the f*** is this?!!???

but the stuff in part II...
it didn't sound like the future even then
it just sounded like a step back

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
saw this on that link:

"Phil Oakey describes how the Human League got the drum sound to Being Boiled."

this is a must-watch :cool:

I was listening to that song the other day and decided the drums sounded like some punching a plastic bag full of wet meat. :cool: It's easily the equal of anything TG were putting out around that time, I reckon.

The show sounds promising!

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Enjoyed it and since it only had 90 minutes they had to leave stuff out, but the early 45 minutes were excellent.

I thought it was really nice of John Foxx to say of Gary Numan that of all the early acts Gary was the one who really nailed it (Gary never hid his admiration of Ultravox, but in some parts of the press he was dismissed as too lightwight compared to some of his contemporaries).
See ie here http://www.beatmag.net/issue20/features/friends.php,

"They [Ultravox with Foxx] set the standard that I was always trying to reach, but never felt that I did although I had more success than them, especially compared to the band in the early days. There were plenty of people doing electronic music – especially after I’d come along. People often lumbered me and Kraftwerk together and that’s very misguided. Kraftwerk were purely electronic. I never was".​

The Eno/Bowie/Ultravox (axis w Foxx )/Planck got left out, as did ie the Simple Minds of "Real to real" and "Empires and Dance" (but with Simon so involved (?) that was to be expected).

What I really liked was what seemed like the satelitte aspect of it (did these guys not read music newspapers? I thrown away all those old copies of NME/Melody Maker/Sounds, but I am quite sure a lot of this stuff was written about and in a positive way. The casual dismissal of the "rock press" just seemed wrong to me).

But overall it was good, including the last biting remark of what was to come.

Last edited:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Enjoyed it and since it only had 90 minutes they had to leave stuff out, but the early 45 minutes were excellent.

shame Suicide got left out, but maybe they didn't have any real influence in England at the time. I don't think anybody on the programme mentioned them anyway.

nomos

Administrator
thanks martin. getting a database error though (not the 404) when i try to make the account :mad: if anyone else has luck please lemme know. you're all making this sound too good to miss.

EDIT: scratch that. solution found.

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master

nochexxx

harco pronting
really enjoyed this and can't wait for the krautrock doc.

forgot about the musicians union trying to ban gary numan. i still find that fact extremely shocking.

phil oakey had me in stitches / vince clark scared the crap out of me / i wanted to hug gary / and buy daniel miller beers.

any idea as to what that john fox track was (not underpass but the one he played in his studio)? i loved it

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
The whole Yazoo story sounds really odd. The pair never really talked to each other :slanted: Who know what would've happened if he'd stayed with Depeche Mode ? would they still have taken over the world as they did. You often forget how huge the Mode are, they broke america where countless other UK acts failed. The further east you go in Europe the bigger the Mode are :D

CrowleyHead

The whole Yazoo story sounds really odd. The pair never really talked to each other :slanted: Who know what would've happened if he'd stayed with Depeche Mode ? would they still have taken over the world as they did. You often forget how huge the Mode are, they broke america where countless other UK acts failed. The further east you go in Europe the bigger the Mode are :D

Mode are huge here, this is true. I think that Depeche Mode covers rate just slightly above Misfits covers as must redundant and simultaneously necessary covers in America.

dave

the day today tonight
Looking forward to this, just scanned through and saw Vince Clarke saying that Depeche Mode took their synths on the train to get to Top of the Pops, hahaha.

john eden

male pale and stale
Vince Clarke is bloody great in it. Him, Richard Kirk and Andy McCluskey are real treasures, all the better for not being interviewed to death in every "list" programme under the sun.

mms

sometimes
Vince Clarke is bloody great in it. Him, Richard Kirk and Andy McCluskey are real treasures, all the better for not being interviewed to death in every "list" programme under the sun.

vince clarke is one of the few ppl in the country to have an ems synthi 100 apparently, and has a huge collection of analogue and modular synths.
its a shame then that he doesn't use em for much more than erasure.
he seems a very strange guy.