"NME Top 50 Albums of the Noughties" or "black music scares us"

DannyL

Wild Horses
hmm, but i think there's wider forces that dictate what they cover (esp given how their circulation has shrunk over the past 20 years) - if the kids want indie, then commercial logic dictates that's what they'll give them. They tried including black music, and I assume it simply didn't sell to their demographic, so they stopped.

The first time I bought NME it was when Def Jam was on the cover. I think NME at the time reflected the sense of excitement about the hip hop crossing over in this massive way - it also tried to reflect the rave years etc. I think it's right to say it reflects a wider cultural seperation - a class/economic seperation as well, being indie's demographic is the middle classes. A bit sad really.

It also makes me conscious of how much I don't give a shit about most of the music in that chart. I've only heard Jay Z, Dizzie, MIA and Johnny Cash and imagine it'll stay that way.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
same here as tom lea/baboon24. The Strokes debut is absolutely great.
that list is funny tho, i've not heard many of those albums. xcrmnt at number 3 is surely some kind of joke.

don_quixote

Trent End
rated r is so much better than songs for the deaf, and nme practically acknowledged as such in 2000 (in spite of the fact songs for the deaf was not even conceived). so what changed now? o yeh, legacy(?!?!?)

hucks

Your Message Here
rated r is so much better than songs for the deaf, and nme practically acknowledged as such in 2000 (in spite of the fact songs for the deaf was not even conceived). so what changed now? o yeh, legacy(?!?!?)

Yeah, I hate all this "standing the test of time" bollocks inherent in any best of the decade list. It would be much more interesting just to have the top tens of each year reprinted. Then they'd have to somehow explain away giving album of the year to A Rush of Blood by Coldplay in 2000 and whatever. Not cool enough to even make the top 100 now.