RIP Technics 1200/1210

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
I don't understand this. Surely record player sales are rising modestly. Seems like a weird time to dissolve the most recognizable brand in the business. Is it because the increased sales are in the low-to-mid-range home-listening market and Technics specializes in expensive pro/DJ decks?

Naw, the logic of Panasonic isn't governed by logic. They're easily the most slow moving company in the entire world. Though nothing other than sheer luck they've managed to remain market leaders with no effort on their part for the last 30 years.
Anyway there's been 1200/1210 clones available for some time now. One would imagine these will get even more popular.
Also I understand there's a fancy Vestaxs deck that's pretty badass floating around too?

The Technics CDJ's had some strange flaw where if you manually moved the deck to the start of the track it would stop the CD and you'd have to press play again. They looked great though

sldz1200_thumb.jpg

FairiesWearBoots

my mate has some - the platter is full size 12", def not as developed as Panasonic but fun to use

so is the future just a mix of CDJ's & Turntables/Serato?

I'm still on 1210's and havent 'moved on' yet (I love the black gold), is there an industry/club standard being set or is it both?

hint

party record with a siren
so is the future just a mix of CDJ's & Turntables/Serato?

I'm still on 1210's and havent 'moved on' yet (I love the black gold), is there an industry/club standard being set or is it both?

The future is probably a mixture of CDJs and hardware controllers.

It's becoming more and more common to find poorly maintained Technics decks in clubs. Vinyl controlled systems like Serato and Traktor Scratch can be quite fussy about signal balance etc. Even taking your own carts and needles, all it takes is one intermittent phono cable to screw things up. With the rise of systems like Serato, with cables being plugged and unplugged more regularly, damaged cables and connectors are increasingly common. Technics really missed a trick by not having simple phono connectors as standard in all models, rather than hardwired cables.

So the options are to either move over to controlling the software via CDJs or commit to taking a hardware controller with you to each gig.

Or just burn a bunch of CDrs, of course.

Last edited:
The Technics CDJ's had some strange flaw where if you manually moved the deck to the start of the track it would stop the CD and you'd have to press play again. They looked great though
I have one of those at home and never had that problem. The feeling of it is pretty shitty though, and it wont read hi quality mp3's or SD cards even though it's supposed to (and it comes with a list of compatible cards, none of which works). I got it 2nd hand and very cheap, so I can't complain much.

Last edited:

geiom

1210's

Its a shame but they last for years....as long as you can get spare parts they will still be around for a long time...the real problem for vinyl is if the remaining pressing plants stop getting enough orders...