Patter

luka

I'm not saying that. . However: back in the early '90s when I wore baggy jeans, listened to hip-hop, and road a skateboard, I was in school in the Netherlands. I remember walking down the hall and a couple of frat boy types passed me and said, "guess that's what they call a wigger". Reference to the term "n*gger" notwithstanding, you both seem to be in agreement. White people shouldn't try to act (or speak) black. And what does it mean to "act black"? It means here that there are ways of being that are unique to the different races, and that we must respect that uniqueness. But of course none of these things are actually true.

* * * * *​
interesting bit of vimothy backstory here.

I think a lot about the right balance of patter and the pressure to be good craic. How it restricts men especially. You definitely want to avoid being a complaining dullard and not peppering your complaints with humour. But you also can’t be trying to be funny all day that’s tragic and oppressive and makes me want to run a mile

version

I once told a bunch of mates a quick anecdote about someone accidentally setting fire to this girl's kettle and one of them was like "Fuck me, Tom tried to tell that us that same story and spent about ten minutes describing the limescale content of the kettle,".

There are maybe children who are raised to believe that all their thoughts are important and others who have to compete to be heard, that’s the start of it. The lack of patter is most pronounced in beautiful people of course, for obvious reasons

I realise this thread was initially about patois and now I’m talking about patter like the Glaswegian for craic but anyway

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
And insults as the highest form of affection at times

insults, varieties of nicknames, familiar salty observations and self-deprecation too

patter is strong at the barbers, not scripted but the range is much more narrow at some and massively varied at others

”pint of the usual chief?”

or

”same as before? how’s the family?

or

“see Forest on Saturday?“

or

”missus is doing my ead in……….”

or

”read any Prynne?”

And of course there’s such a comfort to it - thank fuck I’m out of my own shapeless mulch and can play around in this script

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My phone autocorrected 'wazzock' to 'warlock', which made me imagine an occultism-obsessed composer called Peter Wazzock.