art into pop--abiding or ailing?

owen

oh the tavern! i'm going to get all misty-eyed in a minute....i vowed to move out when that got taken over a couple of years ago (i didn't,obviously)

john eden said:
These people are ok:

http://www.transpont.blogspot.com

as is this:

deptford.jpg

Available from me for 3 quid.

both of those things are excellent

oh and blackdown, essentials are from round my way so there....but hmm well deptford/new cross have been 'up and coming' for the 6 years or so i've lived here....its not going to happen though, much as i love it the place it is basically one huge and incredibly obnoxious road with some houses and estates dotted around it.

daren

don_quixote said:
i think franz ferdinand are refered to as "art-rock" because they went to art school and portray this 'we're so clever' exterior which really doesnt match the music, but they appear to be either believing their own hype or actually believed in the first place that they were cutting edge

I definitely agree with this statement.

It's kind of funny seeing how my band is probably the only band in the midwest United States who are all art students. We're planning on touring in a couple months around an art showing of one of our members. He's a print making major who's currently in grad school for intermedia. Most bands in this area have members that are in the liberal arts.

I think the assumption of art schools becoming more business-like really has to do with the specific college and the people running it. I've attended a couple universities with completely different programs, but are no more than a two and a half hour drive apart. One was quite rigid, and to the point, while the other is quite flexible with their program. Then again, it could also be due to the city atmosphere too.

hint

party record with a siren
Blackdown said:
so is there an art/music/scene in New Cross?
or is it just a shitty place to live like everyone says it is.

bloc party and art brut wrote some songs that everyone realised would / could chart and hence a "scene" / a&r stomping ground was born... there's a line tracing back to the first compilation put out by angular - "the new cross".

looks like it's being called "art wave"... :rolleyes:

owen

lots of bands who like the idea of having ideas without having any actual ideas

(cf franz fred saying 'you should be subversive in everything you do'- what exactly are they subverting? hairdressing protocols?)

there are some nice things in the new cross 'scene'. fear of music frinstance may often involve dreadful bands but also involves fine dj sets (including rave fixation!) and enthusiastic dancing, not least by me

angular records can fuck right off mind you.