history of now: the story of the noughties

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
What struck me as really strange was the notion that a few alcopop adverts managed to persuade all the ravers to instead move back to the city centre and get off their faces on booze.

It made some interesting points, but I think with these things they are always so generalised that bits of it make you think you didn't even live in this decade as you can't relate to them.

craner

Beast of Burden
I love all the words they have in the boxes, I haven't heard of half of them. Someone should compile a noughties dictionary, there's some fantastic stuff. A ton of Chav- suffixes, for example: Chavness, Chavmobile, Chavology, Chavocracy, Chavoplex. There were far smarter words than the various chav derivations, but I can't remember them now. Bagenomics. Londongrad. Some crucial omissions, however: Oed-i-pod, smugocracy...

"I've been racking my brains here, and there's not a lot to rack..."

john eden

male pale and stale
yes the "subheadings" were ace: "how jade paved the way for dave" "how xxxx (gucci?) changed urban planning"

don_quixote

Trent End
the programme also reminded me how much i loathe david cameron.

and how in comparison the thick of it seems much more realistic than david cameron on desert island disks.

i must watch webcameron back. that was fucking painful.

not saying gordon brown appeared much better by the way, just somehow i cringe less. probably due to political affiliations you understand.

craner

Beast of Burden
I see the new decade has kicked off with exploding pants and the squalid death of Casey Johnson. Start as you mean to go on.