IdleRich

IdleRich
In the space of two mins across two consecutive answers in PMQs this week Sunak expressed his readiness to defy international law in order to shovel through the Rwanda deal, and then his stern insistence that Israel adhere to international law.

I binged that Shakespeare Rise of a Genius doc on BBC iPlayer last night. It's hard to escape the sense that fuck all has changed since 1593.

What about if Israel just broke International Law in a specific and limited way though? Surely no-one could complain about that.

mixed_biscuits

But if they wanted to do that then they would have to get an agreement from that country that we can dump all our unwanted refugees on them. And then when that happened they would surely be taken to court again and although the ruling above doesn't preclude it they would almost certainly be able to get a new ruling that does.
The problem was specifically with the Rwandan system, so some other country could well be fine.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or ok, let's say it like this. The ruling against Rwanda is not against other countries, however the lack of a ruling against other countries can hardly be taken as a ruling for them. And before they get to all that they have to first find a country that is willing to accept all the people that the UK doesn't want - I don't think it's that easy to find a replacement for Rwanda in the Rwanda scheme, it's not just a matter of sticking a pin in the map.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is it true that Rwanda were only gonna take 200 anyway? So everyone is arguing about something that affects only a tiny proportion of refugees and will have no noticeable effect on the country as a whole.

okzharp

yep, it's has to be a con... they'll make a shit Netflix film about it in 20 years, grey men in long coats clopping over Westminster cobblestones and diving into matt black top-of-the-range family saloons with rain-smeared tinted windows, laptops chained to their wrists. Hysterical Braverman banging a clenched fist on the leather-bound mohogany desk, feverishly tapping into backchannel whatsapp groups. Terrified people in queues, being processed in some sun-bleached compound... Slow panning shot of a silver SUV driving through the great rift valley, etc...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

A Clockwork Orange said:
"...there being this law for everybody not a child nor with child nor ill to go out rabbiting. My mum worked at one of the Statemarts, as they called them, filling up the shelves with tinned soup and beans and all that cal."

Except now it applies even if you are ill.

version

It just seems like another attempt at grabbing headlines. Where are these hundreds of thousands of WFH jobs going to come from? Are they expecting the disabled to "learn to code" overnight?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It just seems like another attempt at grabbing headlines. Where are these hundreds of thousands of WFH jobs going to come from? Are they expecting the disabled to "learn to code" overnight?
They're probably going to bribe some employers to create pointless pseudo-jobs that don't really need doing, or that could be done much more effectively and cheaply by programming contractors who are already trained for this kind of work, and also purchase and hand out a job lot of low-end Lenovo laptops, in a scheme that will end up costing the state more than it saves.

Just like the 'back to work' schemes of the early 2010s (edit: 'Restart', that was it), the so-called 'Workfare' programme that handed free labour to Tesco etc. on a plate, and the spare bedroom tax that cost a fortune in legal fees from all the appeal cases the government fought and mostly lost.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've got some very bad news I'm afraid. I'm sure that you will all be very upset to hear that Somerset Capital - the hedge fund founded by my favourite Jacob Rees-Mogg - has sadly lost two thirds of its capital and is being wound up.

Hopefully he will do the honourable thing and kill himself painfully.