Trent End
oh. my. god.

mahut vs isner

first set - 6-4 isner

second set - 6-3 mahut

third set - 7-6 mahut

fourth set - 7-6 isner

fifth set - currently locked at 41-41

it just went 42-41... it's approaching EIGHT HOURS. the final set has taken nearly five hours.

crackerjack

oh. my. god.

mahut vs isner

first set - 6-4 isner

second set - 6-3 mahut

third set - 7-6 mahut

fourth set - 7-6 isner

it just went 42-41... it's approaching EIGHT HOURS. the final set has taken nearly five hours.

90 fucking games? mental - do they have to keep playing til they die?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
as will become apparent, i know FA about tennis.

oh. my. god.

mahut vs isner

first set - 6-4 isner

second set - 6-3 mahut

third set - 7-6 mahut

fourth set - 7-6 isner

the fifth set which was 41 ea when you posted, i see it's currently 53 ea.

at some stage it would have been 7 games to 6 in the fifth set. wouldn't that have been the end of it then? (i see those were the scores in the third and fourth set.) i could google this but i figure someone here will give me a better answer anyway. presumably the final set has to be won by two clear games or something, for some reason?

crackerjack

this set is going to be longer than any match played ever
if it goes 56-56 there will be more games played in one set than the most games played in any match played ever
:eek:

would it be fair to deduce that the power-serve game has become a little too dominant in men's tennis?

don_quixote

Trent End
rather hilariously the guy they're playing in the next round went to a fifth set and it was 16-14, so was probably fearing he would be tired for the next round until...

craner

Beast of Burden
This is an amazing match, fair play to both.

I'm still sweet for Sharapova, and her grit, great hair, and fragile limbs.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Is murray gonna do it this year??? I can see him beating old dodgy-knees nadal.

i'd like to see him do it, just to see the murray-haters have to kiss his arse for ever more. I think he may get to the final, but his record in finals doesn't inspire confidence, more so for the way he's lost than for the fact of losing. All his calm seems to evaporate (which I can understand - the pressure must be ridiculous, even more so at Wimbledon perhaps). Then again, Djokovic (if it is him) is suspect in this area too.

BareBones

wheezy
couldn't agree more about the murray-haters... so boring. I like that he's quite a moody bastard, and the way he wound loads of people up with that "anyone but england" comment was just funny.

crackerjack

Yes to both of the above.

I never even got the hatred of Henman - I could understand why people hated his army of Daily mail fans and thought the tiger Tim thing was a bit of joke. But here was a guy who was in the top 10 of one of the most competitive sports for the best part of a decade and people made out like he was Eddie The Eagle

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yes to both of the above.

I never even got the hatred of Henman - I could understand why people hated his army of Daily mail fans and thought the tiger Tim thing was a bit of joke. But here was a guy who was in the top 10 of one of the most competitive sports for the best part of a decade and people made out like he was Eddie The Eagle

One thing: his fist-pumping. Agreed, very few people seemed to acknowledge the extent of his achievement. Because of his fist-pumping.