BareBones

wheezy
hey ben while/if you're still here, what's the story with blawan 'getting me down', that getting a release? maybe a white label? such a jam.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Agreed. I never saw dubstep as "new age" at all. It was much too angular and dark, and had this kind of paranoid tension, like the kind you get when you walk at night through a neighbourhood you aren't familiar with. The "meditate" part seemed to me to just come from the physical experience of listening to dubstep in a club - the way the bass pressure affected your body. The attraction wasn't anything particularly spiritual, and I don't think the music was being made from any real kinds of sophisticated pretensions (not, at least, anywhere close to the kinds of pretensions you find now). All in all, it was just rave music.

The one thing I got tired of hearing music critics say was that you couldn't dance to it. That was definitely proof they'd never been to a club night. It was a challenge at first to figure out how you might move to it, what with all the spaced out percussion, but then something like "Haunted" would drop, and the question would be answered pretty fucking quickly.

Basically agree with all of this. I think there was something slightly pretentious/self-consciously 'dark' about some of the dubstep tunes that I got into the genre through, but I don't think that really acted against them, for me those tunes created an intense mood as effectively as a horror/sci-fi film. I liked some of that coldness/dead-eyed-repetitiveness in dubstep, just as I used to like it in DNB (everyone likes getting loved up on drugs but its also quite perversely enjoyable getting horribly wired/paranoid - or maybe that's just me? lol!).

Besides, I remember going to DMZ in 2007 and there actually being quite an emotional range to the music as a whole; the 'darkness' of Mala tunes is generally completely different to the 'darkness' of Loefah tunes, for example. And more importantly the rhythms seemed immensely danceable to me as soon as I went to a dubstep night, I think all those classic tunes from 2006/7 by Skream/Mala/D1 etc. are amazing to dance to.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Basically agree with all of this. I think there was something slightly pretentious/self-consciously 'dark' about some of the dubstep tunes that I got into the genre through, but I don't think that really acted against them, for me those tunes created an intense mood as effectively as a horror/sci-fi film.
Yeah, I mean being a bit pretentious only really becomes a problem when the tunes aren't amazing. At that point, a lot of the tunes were amazing, so no problem.

I liked some of that coldness/dead-eyed-repetitiveness in dubstep, just as I used to like it in DNB (everyone likes getting loved up on drugs but its also quite perversely enjoyable getting horribly wired/paranoid - or maybe that's just me? lol!).

Besides, I remember going to DMZ in 2007 and there actually being quite an emotional range to the music as a whole; the 'darkness' of Mala tunes is generally completely different to the 'darkness' of Loefah tunes, for example. And more importantly the rhythms seemed immensely danceable to me as soon as I went to a dubstep night, I think all those classic tunes from 2006/7 by Skream/Mala/D1 etc. are amazing to dance to.
Also all true.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
playing house and garage and dubstep and grime in the space of four hours isn't eclectic, it's obvious.

Right, but...

if you get swamped and overwhelmed by eclecticism it's your own fault. if you want focus, focus your listening habits.

...if you're swamping and overwhelming me with eclecticism, then it's your fault. Not saying you do this, in particular. Just saying that for every one DJ who plays myriad genres with obvious aesthetic connections (e.g. Kode 9) there are ten DJ's who just play a purposeless set of everything that goes nowhere and says nothing, sometimes in the space of one hour. It's a bit unfair to put all the burden of focus on the listener.

EDIT: I'd also say part of the burden also falls on the person booking the night as well, in making sure that all the DJ's selected to play also will, taken together, produce that common ground.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
there have always been people who do things badly

sick boy said:
I'd also say part of the burden also falls on the person booking the night as well, in making sure that all the DJ's selected to play also will, taken together, produce that common ground

agreed

Last edited:

muser

you cant have it both ways though can you. It's not that uncommon for people to be saying I love "insert genre here" but I wouldn't want to listen to a whole night of it, and people complaining about how nights will only cater for a very specific off-shoot of a certain type of music, I here D&B heads go on about it all the time.

With all the "future bass" stuff eclecticism in sets is unavoidable imo as its pretty much a hub for all these producers that are into, and taking influence from, a lot of different styles of music, house, garage, dubstep, funky etc.

Personally I find it pretty refreshing to have a style of music that is impossible to define on its own terms, and that is pretty difficult to describe to anyone that hasn't listened to it. For those that know and all that.

Early dubstep had a basic mantra of sparse beats and heavy sub-bass, with people approaching it and interpreting it from different angles. Whats going on now is an amalgamation of similar music tastes, where I think the internet has helped to join the dots for people in that respect.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^Not sure I'd say that something being difficult to describe is a good thing in itself.
But my 2 cents would prob be that the post-dubstep/'130' stuff is actually quite a lot more focussed and coherent than it was a year ago, and mostly in a good way.
Anyway, I really just popped in here to say that I liked those Zed Bias and Boddika sets from Boiler Room a lot. The Boddika one esp was a nice surprise, because I hadn't been too mad about the tune I'd heard from him before.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
people annoy me when they dance half time to dubstep, it looks so fucking stupid.

Lets face it, you follow the beat double time anyway, (well i do) why not just move your body to the hi hats
I remember when I used to go dubstep nights here in Finland, I was one of the few people dancing in double time. Sometimes dancefloor crew would wave their hand in half time like in some hiphop gig... Maybe proper dancing were just too feminine/uncool for them - Finland is a heavy metal country afterall...

Sectionfive said:
Anybody who was ever at a dubstep night from the start playing the early set, promoting or whatever can attest that
there were always people who didn't have clue what to do for a while but they always went home with a few new moves.
Yeah it was fun and interesting trying to figure for first time how to dance it. It was fresh feel dancing to dubstep!! First time I used to do sometimes a move, where I would alongside "normal" moves do little jump and smash my feet into the ground when the halftime snare hit :)

What I found so genius in halfstep beats, were that they were fast and slow in same time. That was before 70bpm halfstep tho...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Where is it focussing though?

More focussed tempo-wise - stuff at 130 or slightly either side of it - and I would say more focussed beat/structure wise in terms of mostly taking at least some influence from house/4x4. (Obviously it's using those influences in lots of quite different ways though, which is a good thing). Scene-wise I think it's more together too, people are more in touch with each other, sharing bills, sending each other tunes.
Obviously I'm not trying to say it can be reduced to 1 single style or idea, and probably you can't yet give it a single name either, but I don't think people saying (whether in a good or bad sense) that it's one massive, indecipherable eclectic blur are quite on the mark either.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I don't think people saying that it's one massive, indecipherable eclectic blur are quite on the mark either.

This is where the DJ comes in, hasn't changed one bit since Mancuso surely.
If there does need to be focus, surely its up to the individual DJ to decide what that is.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
With regards to focussing I really couldn't care less.

Dubstep for a few years was my focus and in retrospect I put too much into it; my record collection is heavily skewed in the direction of it, and I got too emotionally attached to it.

Now i'm just going after my own focus - finding tracks that regardless of genre, tempo or social context fit into my own niche and style.

wise

bare BARE BONES
surely the point about focus regards current post Dubstep production trends, ie taking a bit of (insert nuum genre) a bit of (insert second nuum genre) a bit of House and a bit of (Juke/Ghetto/Electro) add some sub bass and hey presto!

Last edited:

Webstarr

This is where the DJ comes in, hasn't changed one bit since Mancuso surely.
If there does need to be focus, surely its up to the individual DJ to decide what that is.

This

I think the lack of focus is quite refreshing at the moment. Probably helps that I haven't been to as many nights recently so haven't heard many recent tunes out either

alex

Do not read this.
Thought as much, is it closer to either 38 or okzharp type stuff?
Or something different all together?

Some of the tracks are similar to their forthcoming hyperdub release, which is on a mix I did. Some of the stuff is completely different though, some really nice sample placement in the tunes, especially dig the chopped up vocals. sorry for the spam there also

CrowleyHead

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MOwD67BIPMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

... Feeling really validated about my comments in the Radiohead thread now... Also, for a moment, thought that Burial had actually blatantly bitten El-B, until I realized that WAS the El-B tune.