gumdrops

nothing as thought out as tim f to add, but totally agree with the thoughts on marcus playing some ramadanman or mosca - funky djs play stuff that fits funky, not just cos its ramandanman, which is how it should be, a certain aesthetic that rules what is accepted and what isnt, a la timo maas getting played by ukg djs.

but as someone else has prob said, re: the whole idea of this music not being hard or 'rude' (though i hate that term) or just not direct enough (tho in fairness a lot of night slugs stuff is pretty direct and not as nerdy/shy/reserved/tentative as a lot of other stuff and i like it much more than i initially did - its got a certain energy about it, these guys know how to make DANCE music), a lot of classic populist jungle or garage was not just 'rude', it was also abstract, sci-fi, soulful, jazzy (dont forget this one!) and so on and so on. i understand the drive towards the straight banger end of things to redress how the critical scales seem so tipped in favour of the 'intelligent' stuff being made (tho hasnt this always been the case, that ukg and jungle were never really favoured by even dance music people, never mind the rock press), but the populist stuff was never one sided. that said, of course theres a diff between a lot of the post dubstep stuff and the more abstract stuff from say dem 2 or photek or whoever - i think thats cos its its own thing, its not feeding into the centre, so doesnt have to play by any central 'scene'/'sound' rules, simply because there isnt one anymore, by and large, everything has its own niche. i mean, even grime, tho it didnt have any sort of 'intelligent' or 'progressive' faction to draw lines between (occasionally i wish it did have that actually, rather than just a split between the pop stuff and underground), you had guys like terror danjah or geeneus who were making really intricate, 'abstract' or more out there stuff alongside your meat and potatoes guys like mr slash, but it was all aimed at the same place so there was a certain commonality that bonded it all together.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Yeah I do see the NS guys as making hardcore dance music at the end of the day. Saw L-Vis 1990 the other day and he was proper ace, over the course of his set he managed to take it from just a tiny handful of people on the floor to the whole room dancing and on a good vibe. Would love to actually make it to Night Slugs sometime, think a London trip might be in order this summer.

luka

'i am a defender of simon reynolds' face' is a brilliant tag and i salute whoever done that.

gumdrops

ok well this oneman set has some great moments but nelly furtado? come on. you can do better than that.
and then theres odd future? why?
i think oneman is still an amazing dj but he should be wary of sounding like an ipod shuffle.

Last edited:

Tim F

"beware of sounding like an ipod shuffle" is an important injunction for any and all DJs, I think.

Benny Bunter

I feel like I need to say something positive about night slugs after all my negativity: Reprise by L-vis 1990 is a fucking monster (can't find it on youtube but I'm sure you all know it). It sounded so amazing near the beginning of some Marcus Nasty set from a while back. Rare to hear a tune with such a long dramatic intro that actually pays off when it gets to the drop in such a big way. I'd like to hear more stuff like that from that camp.

daddek

and then theres odd future? why?

why? the same reason that he plays mobb deep or oneohtrix sometimes. Because it's dope, and he's inspired by it, as are a huge amount of his audience. Like kode playing prince or bone thugs. I love hearing them play that stuff, if they can pull it off.
And they do only when there is a grander sense of purpose to it all. kode in particular has a rare ability to widen his canvas without losing focus. it takes a distinct creative personality to pull it off. Without that focus, it's iPod shuffle land, which lays dangerously close to any one either ballsy or vague enough to drift that far out from a central genre. And yeh, recently i have growing weary of seeing messy, large canvas pictures with little central focus. But it's exhilarating when it works

Phaedo

Oneman does some great examples of putting something in a set that you would never usually like and making it sound amazing.

Last edited:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Dissensus Raw Productions

in case somebody still hasn't checked that thread. place for ruff/rude/raw/jagged/edgy/cheesy productions. got the idea from here.

just put new track from Batu aka Phaedo - an atmospheric but NOT bland garage dubstep track.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I find it funny/tragic and heart-breaking that in order to make 'raw' tunes, I routinely have to go against my natural instincts for putting loads of complicated layers/'deep' chords/melodies etc. on top of the drums/bass/riffs. I'm the kind of person who, when writing about music, usually looks for extra layers of complication/interest in what I'm listening to - perhaps this analytic bent makes me unfit/suited to making effective music, or rather - to making the sort of music I would like to make, rather than the sort of music I'm compelled to make. :mad: / :D

Very interesting discussion on the last few pages. I think the main thing that needs to be addressed from the point of view of media coverage is the championing of music which doesn't meet a criteria of 'depth'/'musicianship'/'experimentalism' etc. which I think DOES exist in both the media and in the opinions of a great many people (we all have our prejudices of course). E.G. People on a lot of forums I go on will go on and on about post-dubstep (I'm just going to stick with this term as it seems most scene-encompassing even though I have reservations about it) being 'incredible music' because of its emotive/melodic aspects, but seem to not really know about producers like Funkystepz/Ill Blu/Lil Silva etc. unless they're put out on Hyperdub.

This isn't Hyperdub's fault of course! But I think a critical voice like Tim's championing core-UK-Funky in the mainstream/online media would readdress this balance and might also lead to people being influenced by aspects of Funky that they neglect - i.e. dubstep fans who get into funky tend to slag off the girly/poppy side of it and concentrate on the rhythmic complexity/bass-weight of it, and they're entitled to of course, but, since I have found my opinions have changed through reading writing about music (books/articles/blog posts/forum posts), I don't see why many others wouldn't have their opinion changed too.

Last edited:

daddek

loved egyptrixx album & night slugs all stars album.

damn that oneman mix is banging. fucking loved it when OF came in - especially because he mixed in grime straight after. it made OF sound more grime, the grime sound more hip hop, and gave me that wonderful feeling of an unexpected increased potentiality within london music, like the sky opening somewhat.

never gona get around the fact that this is preference debate, and this theorizing is (mostly) a mechanism to bolster that. I like 201x weird london house (NS, 502, Swamp81) & acid house much more than US garage or purist dubstep, and hip hop more than all of them. When i see oneman play out, i'm hoping he play a touch of OF and not too familiar old voxy garage, someone else would be hoping the exact opposite.
then we'll go to the internet and bark stop-liking-what-i-dont-like at each other
((sorry, not v illuminating i know))

Last edited: