alex

Do not read this.
haha, no, I just made some tracks that probably fit this thread more, that i don't play anymore, so i thought they would be more at home if I gave them away here.

anyway ill up some 2night

rubberdingyrapids

from the skream (hes a great interviewee) interview on the quietus -

So how do you go about finding a new sound then?

OJ: The thing is, I don’t know. Music is mongrel now. It’s rare to find straight techno or... Especially in this UK bass sort of thing, everything has merged. I love that though. But then, do you go back and do a straight one-influence track? Is that going back on yourself? My sets now consist of everything, everything influenced with everything. So how I’m going to find the new sound I’ll never know. Maybe it’s just finding a new sound for me, ‘cos trying to create a new sound at the minute is mental.

Last edited:

rrrivero

404780_10150495261572855_527452854_8670566_2013805066_n.jpg

get on it, boys

SecondLine

New Nightwave/8bitch:

http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=33807

'Palenque' kind of typifies something which has been bugging me in this stuff recently...it's the unwillingness, in spite of house being a clear ref point, to just have a straight 4x4 kick running through a tune (in my head there's an implicit 'eugh, 4x4 is boring'), without managing to do anything quite syncopated/unhinged enough to merit the deviation. Throwing Snow does this a fair bit:

I get that footwork is informing that pattern, but to my mind it's not in the spirit of footwork's fuck-em-up approach to rhythm programming. It's just kinda grooveless.

Whereas if you chuck a 4x4 under something then you can do all kinds of interesting shit with the swing.

Sorry rant over.

sgn

The Kowton EP with Tom Dicicco is probably his best work since Basic Music Knowledge.

Haven't liked a single Throwing Snow track yet. There are bits and pieces in some tracks that I find appealing but these bits are always overridden by other elements (usually boring melodies and the standard "post dubstep" cliches. Pitched up/down vocal samples that add absolutely nothing to tracks are never gonna go away, are they?) that I really can't stand. Unfortunately, I feel this way about the majority of the new producers working in the genre. Who's been the last exciting guy to come up through this scene? Blawan?

hucks

Your Message Here
These EvianChrist tracks are pretty moving in a Burial-esque way. Hardcore trap & juke purists might not like them but they work as an interesting parallel for me.

The most Burial-esque thing about those tracks is how, to the newcomer, they all sound pretty similar. There's, what, ten tunes there, all built from exactly the same formula. I thought they were alright.

Last edited:

luka

ive been invited to a post-dubstep thing tomorrow. i will report back. it will be flying lotus africa high tech and martin. i dont think i like any of them but im going to b postive.

rubberdingyrapids

i like fly lo but a fair amount of his stuff is a bit too bland/downtempo. at least the first album was. the second one i like even though it seemed quite late 90s. not in a bad way. reminded me of some sort of daft punk/unkle/mo wax/attica blues/burial kind of thing, just cut up. i suppose you could reduce any music to that kind of breakdown but he is praised a lot as a vanguard kind of artist, when im not sure he is that deserving. not of that particular reputation anyway.

Last edited:

luka

i only heard one song. i was buying something to smoke from an old boy i know. hes 65. he tried to play me his new fly lo record but he couldnt work out if it was supposed to be 33 or 45. it was really jarring.

benw

i only heard one song. i was buying something to smoke from an old boy i know. hes 65. he tried to play me his new fly lo record but he couldnt work out if it was supposed to be 33 or 45. it was really jarring.

thats a fucking hilarious story. genuinely funny and kind of sums up why i dislike 'beat music' a lot of the time. exceptions obvi.