tom lea

yeah well obviously

i'm asking the question cos janet jackson doesn't seem a particularly on trend thing to sample or whatever, yet she's popped up in two of the most discussed tracks in this thread. re: gumdrop's comment.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
yeah well obviously

i'm asking the question cos janet jackson doesn't seem a particularly on trend thing to sample or whatever, yet she's popped up in two of the most discussed tracks in this thread. re: gumdrop's comment.

this is interesting to hear from a man who released an album of Cassie covers

tom lea

was just making the point that there is stuff sampled by artists discussed in this thread that isn't just aaliyah, ciara and cassie. im sure theres plenty of mariah or whoever too if you look for it.

juan love

CrowleyHead

Janet's safe. It's why one of the tracks that sampled Janet was (*shock*) something people wanted to dance to. It didn't carry the heavy vibes of someone trying to impress you.

It's why "Archangel" is so good, it's fucking Ray J. That's THE bottom of the barrel right there, and he reused it because it was there. Kind of like the one Unreleased song from the Benji B showcase being a Ne-Yo sample. Plus Alicia Keys and Beyonce at the time of sampling were not so much critical creatures as much as just artists people listened to.

It's a malignant theory, but it's entirely logical. If one were to sample Ne-Yo for a dance track, and another were to sample The-Dream, obviously one guy is a bedroom producer who reads Fact, because he's unaware that NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT THE-DREAM.

daddek

yeh but normal people dont spend their every waking hour obsessing about music.

from talking to producers i know, the good ones anyway, they seem to have slightly different preferences to journalists. they tend to be bit more cynical about hyped artists and a bit more ready to like stuff that isn't unanimously considered important. I wouldn't go with the suggestion that artists blindly take cues from fact or whatever, or write music with them in mind. not the committed ones anyway. i reckon they're more guilty of writing music for other artists.

the-dream makes more interesting music than janet fucking jackson anyway cmon.

gumdrops

janets old/classic 80s R&B (control is one of the best R&B albums ever btw)
so maybe thats different - lot of these guys seem to like older R&B, even if its just 90s destinys child or brandy, rather than the new stuff. prob not surprising when you think about all the other old genres that theyre referencing in the beats. seems to basically be the indie approach i think - 'things were more special back in ____ (insert earlier era)'
bur really i was just saying that the vibe of birthday sex - that tune specifically - doesnt seem that suited to post-dubstep etc
unless they sample the ghostly background vocals part
but i cannot imagine many ppl from this scene sampling mariah.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
This argument is deadout. Sample who you want, it's how you use it that matters even if you sample someone good (70s dub) you don't implicitly get a good result (06 "dubby" dubstep). The converse is true too.

daddek

yes also normal people couldnt give a single fuck where the sample comes from.
its only us neckbeards who think about that shit.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
plus i like failed r&b singers. successful ones are often unbelievably fake, vain and materialistic. when they have a little tragedy in their life, like spectacular failure, it makes it a little more real.

gumdrops

i really dont see the commercial failure of cassies career imbuing her vocals/music with more affecting emotion. i also dont really imagine her being any less fake or vein than say, beyonce. beyonce might actually be less fake or vein. arguably, shes made it now so she doesnt need to focus so much on material gain. she can focus on the more important things in life, like girls running the world. ppl act like cassie has the vocal character of minnie ripperton or flora purim or something lol.

Last edited:

highhhness

one does
plus i like failed r&b singers. successful ones are often unbelievably fake, vain and materialistic. when they have a little tragedy in their life, like spectacular failure, it makes it a little more real.

I love this myth, generally, which is why tales of a crack-addled whitney give me little thrills inside. as does this:

emilyannegatto668.gif

..but i think it really only applies to proper old-time r&b and jazz sorts, billie holiday, janis joplin et al where the scratchiness and cracking of their voices imparts some kind of tragic quality that's immensely attractive. the thrills might also be the result of a lot of romantic hindsight and the general myth of these types of artists, their life stories etc. whitney houston doesn't make better music for being/having been a crackhead - she's really more embarrassing than anything else these days.

as gumdrops is sort of saying, the allure of someone like cassie's voice is the over-produced and robotic nature of it, and the only really positive aspect of her failure - such as it is - is that she most probably won't get paired up with the kinds of producers that are having a good go at turning us r&b into some kind of vapid subgenre of eurohouse (see rihanna).

OT, but discussions about vanity and fakeness really only seem to come up in relation to female artists. i'm thinking also of comments elsewhere on this board about the inanity of cooly g. she might be inane, i don't really know i've not spoken to her, but I've never heard too many assertions or questions about the inanity/vanity or otherwise of - for pure example - alex bok bok. it's a minor point, i think, but one worth making.