e/y

that Ruff Draft 12" is really great, I've been really tempted to order it, but short on money atm.

also, I really like the Jam City album.

does Kahn fit into this thread at all?

Since the rise of wobble i've pretty much steered well clear of dubstep, but recently i keep hearing this guy around the net.

I'm not quite sure what to think about him yet. Part of me really loves his tunes, his ethos even - the musical references, the snappy beats, the homage to older scenes, and even the funky vocal chopping, though it gets gimmicky quite quickly. It reminds me of what i was into while i was growing up and grime and dubstep were kicking off in a big way. It feels enthused with the spirit of past glories.

But then part of me thinks that its too earnest, academic even. That Kahn is carving a role for himself as some kind of musical historian, re-living the last couple of decades through his current output. Its revivalist tone is what jars with me. There's no joy of discovery because we've been here before.

When the dubstep/grime scenes were evolving, the was an energy and unpredictability which maintained the excitement and sense of exploration. New characters, new sounds, living and developing with and within a community. Authenticity and vitality shone through in the attempts to define and capture new musical territories.

I like a lot of his tunes, but to me Kahn is like the student who rigidly copies his master. Appreciated for his skill, but not really remembered on his own terms.

Even if you consider the Bristol aspect in isolation, nothing i've heard from young echo comes even close to the shock, and sense of wonder the first time i heard qawwali. That was inspired, and the idea of revisiting that period of musical fertility must seem so appealing to a diehard fanboy like kahn, but his tracks fall so much flatter. Maybe i'm just being jaded here, maybe if i was 16 again it would all sound incredible, but i remain unconvinced.

I'd hope that given time his own sound might evolve, but despite his clear talent i dont think that's a certainty.

Is this broadly where futuregarage/intelli2step or whatever people are calling this revivalist sound is at? Or should i be listening to someone else? Who's pushing things fwd>>>>>>?

rubberdingyrapids

its not really about whos pushing things forward anymore imo. more about whos making something good.

i like dismantle a lot though not sure if he fits in this thread, prob more on that electro house/dubstep side of things.

Last edited:

trilliam

why? pushing things forward does not equal good music. pushing things forward is what created this boring amorphous blob in the first place.

why? pushing things forward does not equal good music. pushing things forward is what created this boring amorphous blob in the first place.

I take that point, i mean, how could you appreciate what you've created if you're relentlessly pushing ahead with new ideas.

But without creativity where would we be, we wouldn't have music in the first place.

Theres a balance to be kept or either end of the argument might win out. In that case, i'd rather the former please

no future = no hope

rubberdingyrapids

bollocks. resist that thinking.

im not saying thats what i think is true, i def DO want people pushing things forward, but seriously, it seems impossible to make that kind of judgement now. can you really say such and such artist is really 'pushing things forward' when everything is so spread out all over the place. its not like when dubstep or grime were new and there was a certain forward momentum, things arent really genre-based like that anymore cos its all so all over the place. so in the absence of the old emphasis on forward motion, all were left with really is whos doing something good.

jimitheexploder

SR Mix #134: Bandshell [Hessle Audio]

Donkey Kong Country – Underwater Music #1
Actress – Credit Da Edit
MM/KM – Unterwegs Mit Cash Von St. Vinzenz >>
Tapes – Dungeness
Madteo – Scream Seq. 2
Instra:mental – Let’s Talk >>
Robert Rental – ACC
Lukid – This Dog Can Run
Nochexxx – Ritalin Love
Zomby – Alothea
Bandshell – Landfill (v2)

http://www.sonicrouter.com/2012/06/srq025sr-mix-134-bandshell-hessle-audio/

Big up Bandshell.

Gombreak

Where should stuff be pushed forward from? There's juke but its built so solidly around Chicago and the dances there that the couple times I've heard it out in clubs here it sorta seems like a novelty. There's the House sound of Hessle and Young Echo/Bristol I guess but I'd struggle to plot where its gonna go.

Personally I'm enjoying what I'd call the 'tape scene' messing about with dance templates at the minute, a lot of the stuff is sketchy but there's some pretty decent bits squirrelled away in there. Ive seen it dismissed as 'home listening' but guys like Jamall Moss have proved it can be mixed into a live setting.

sgn

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

what is forward, though, really

personally i've just been making grime for months now and although that could be described as a regression i'm really happy with what's come from it.

as a scene i think there's loads of really interesting music in grime now, far more than in this house thing, but it's a music that's more than 10 years old at this point; does that mean that as an idea it's useless? I don't really think it is but based on concepts of things pushing "forward" is it meant to redundant, a spent force?