Record and Tape Exchange or whatever it's called nowadays.

DannyL

Wild Horses
And look at the mental legal stuff on the receipts now, the hoops they have to swing through.

There's got to be a book / film to be made about that place and its history. Maybe not anymore but at some point it constituted a whole alternate economy for that part of London. It's still a bit of a crazy world onto itself.

Not sure if this is true, but a mate told me that was part of (one of many) tax dodges. He also told me that in one of the shops at 12 o'clock everyday, they'd switch to trading as a different enterprise. Apparently a tickertape display above the counter would start up announcing their independence!

massrock

Not sure if this is true, but a mate told me that was part of (one of many) tax dodges.
I think one thing was that there were issues to do with VAT and the distinction between straight resale and acting as an agent. To be fair not necessarily a dodge so much as having to be inventive to work out ways of doing that. Or maybe that's the same thing. :slanted: Then there's the voucher system... The terms are crazily elaborate these days though.

He also told me that in one of the shops at 12 o'clock everyday, they'd switch to trading as a different enterprise. Apparently a tickertape display above the counter would start up announcing their independence!
Brilliant. :)

Last edited:

Kate Mossad

also - whack a list up here flog them to people on dissensus in some kind of beer-related setting?

OK! 400+ CDs, everything from Burning Witch to Grace Jones via Gregory Isaacs and Wolf Eyes. PM me to get the list this Thursday.

Basically want rid with minimum hassle so priority will go to bulk buyers who can collect in Central London and pay in cold hard cash. However I am prepared to accept PayPal and post some of the rarer items.