Record Stores In London

Simon78

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
who is the bald white dude who works there who makes an appearence in the Wot U Call It video as well as seen in the background of numerous freestyles on grime DVD's?

That's Sparkie I think, used to work at Rhythm Division.

lol alex beat me to it

petergunn

plywood violin
that is Dj Sparkie http://www.liquidclubs.com/basildon/relive-your-night/dj-profiles/149/dj-sparkie-

I did my work experience in Rhythm. Sad to see it close

nice, thank you!

always wondered... remembered seeing him in RD and then popping up in the background of those DVD's...

and yeah, RD was the only dance record store i went to in LDN that had a neighborhood hangout feel... one of the times i was in there, God's Gift was in there hanging out and talking shit about basically every other MC in grime... "you're not a road guy, you're going to uni...."

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

(long-time Dissensus reader, first time poster)

I'm arriving in London tonight for the weekend and hope to fit in some vinyl shopping while there, as well catching a gig or two. I've been through the various threads about London record shops but thought I'd check for updates, given the number of closures recently.

Can anyone recommend a few stores worth visiting with decent stock of (not brand new) house, garage (US 4/4 mainly but not averse to a bit of Uk and 2 step) and techno?
- Is Berwick Street still the place to go?
- I've read a few blogs giving props to Alan's Records in East Finchley and I'll be staying not too far from there - is it worth a visit?

My tastes are pretty expansive but hit all the usual names: Prescription, Balance, Chez Damier, Kerri Chandler, MAW, Todd Edwards, Tyree Cooper, old Strictly Rhythm stuff, Downtown 161,..., 90s Detroit techno, Force Inc, Basic Channel, UR, Zenit, early Kompakt....
(I'm especially keen to get some Force Inc stuff from between 97 and 02)

Any help you can give a London newbie would be greatly appreciated!

yeah berwick street and surrounding streets still the place to go really -

Phonica for techno (poland st)
Blackmarket for house and garage (darbley st)
sounds of the universe (just off berwick st) for deep house, disco, detroit stuff

also, if you've got time definitely check out If Music on Langham st (just north of soho). it's a tiny place in a block of flats - ring the buzzer to get in, and get VERY personal service as you sit on the sofa and the owner hands you records to stick on the stereo. it's got lots of old house, disco and soul and it's where people like theo parrish and giles peterson buy their records

I assumed If Music closed a year or two ago, didnt realise it moved to new premises. I'm surprised it's still going really, was always empty compared to the other shops in Soho. But I second everything Simon says, the service in that shop is on a whole different level from anywhere else. Truly unique record shopping experience.

Woebot

mvSoho.jpg

dert

anyone catch the hj's feature in RA? very heartwarming - would love to hear some Londoner's reflections :)

Leo

maybe the physical stores with the best chances of surviving are those that also have a healthy online/mail order business to supplement their walk-in sales. online must be a substantial percentage of the income for places like phonica and sounds of the universe (although i also recall one of the guys at SOTU saying they own their building, which i'm sure helps amidst escalating rents for everyone else.)

Woebot

wonder what will take sister ray/selectadisc's place in berwick street. its been boarded up a while now. another cafe?

yes - their new shop is a much more suitable space - i thought the old one was always a bit weird.

i wonder if it wouldn't be too dark for a cafe?