Roska!Roska!Roska!Roska!Rosk- ugh, just stop!

muser

havn't heard the mix but don't they do it sometimes to stop people ripping the tracks? Either that or it could just b getting over excited with the sample button and not realizing he's been repeatedly pressing it through-out the mix.
I did a laptop mix in some little backroom with some friends and we thought it would be a good idea to have midi pad to trigger 808 cowbell samples/ rave stabs and cliche vocals such as "that's my man going down". We were all drunk and by the end quite a few people ending up coming up us saying its all good but please fucking stop playing that annoying "coin"(cowbell) sample. It was fun though.

Last edited:

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
havn't heard the mix but don't they do it sometimes to stop people ripping the tracks?

Very possibly. Doesn't make it less annoying. You can use any number of tricks to keep people from ripping your tune that don't seem so ... crass.

Shame, really, as it's a great mix aside from that.

FYI, You can check it out on the BBC website until next Wednesday.

wise

bare BARE BONES
havn't heard the mix but don't they do it sometimes to stop people ripping the tracks? Either that or it could just b getting over excited with the sample button and not realizing he's been repeatedly pressing it through-out the mix.

I don't think this is the cause, Roska plays an awful lot of his own productions and they are all peppered with 'ROSKA's.
End result is a set full of roska! roska! roska!
I saw him at the Fantastic 4 night at Nightslugs and it was very much like that.

Doesn't bother me though

samdiamond

i like the roskaroskaroska thing. it's very fun. however i was at an art gallery the other day and i couldn't help thinking rothkorothkorothko etc

Tim F

Funky producer signatures rated:

Roska - Somewhat boring in and of itself, but the rhythmic repetitiveness of 'roska!roska!roska!' sounds great when dropped at the right moment of a track. 6

Crazy Cousinz - The "Whoop!" works in so many settings, is instantly reognisable without being so singular as to get annoying through overuse, and is great not merely as a producer signature but as a herald of key points in the tune - usually it drops just before the beat rolls out again. 9

Scotty D / Funk Factory - Points deducted for not being intelligible: purportedly this is "now hear this!" but it sounds like "whoiddit?" to me. 4

Cooly G - The lazy drawl of "yeah it's Cooly S G, mwah" is so seductive, though its very laziness works against its capacity to act as a hype inducer. But it never gets old either. 7

Funkystepz - Sometimes this is straightforward but when they stutter it "F-f-f-f-f-funkystepz!" in a highpitched goblin chirp it's by far the best drop-announcer in the game. 9

Greyman - That scraggy chuckle makes me think of a ghost dog (though not Ghost Dog) so points for imaginativeness. But it's an easy signature to overlook. 6

Lil' Silva - Kinda boring "menacing" slow announcement of his name, barely different from all the "marcus... nasty... dub-dub-plate..." stuff. 4

Screama - "Complex Simplicity!" wins sympathy votes for me simply because it references Teedra Moses, but in truth this is not that successful a producer tag. 5

Ill Blu - Not one but two tags, on the one hand those disgusted "ew!" cries which probably technically involve someone attempting to say "Ill", then the evil robot intoning "Ill... Blu..." The sense of timing for the deployment of both is almost always exquisite. Flawless in concept and execution. 10

IanTheM

Tame Horse

Roska - Somewhat boring in and of itself, but the rhythmic repetitiveness of 'roska!roska!roska!' sounds great when dropped at the right moment of a track. 6

Crazy Cousinz - The "Whoop!" works in so many settings, is instantly reognisable without being so singular as to get annoying through overuse, and is great not merely as a producer signature but as a herald of key points in the tune - usually it drops just before the beat rolls out again. 9

Scotty D / Funk Factory - Points deducted for not being intelligible: purportedly this is "now hear this!" but it sounds like "whoiddit?" to me. 4

Cooly G - The lazy drawl of "yeah it's Cooly S G, mwah" is so seductive, though its very laziness works against its capacity to act as a hype inducer. But it never gets old either. 7

Funkystepz - Sometimes this is straightforward but when they stutter it "F-f-f-f-f-funkystepz!" in a highpitched goblin chirp it's by far the best drop-announcer in the game. 9

Greyman - That scraggy chuckle makes me think of a ghost dog (though not Ghost Dog) so points for imaginativeness. But it's an easy signature to overlook. 6

Lil' Silva - Kinda boring "menacing" slow announcement of his name, barely different from all the "marcus... nasty... dub-dub-plate..." stuff. 4

Screama - "Complex Simplicity!" wins sympathy votes for me simply because it references Teedra Moses, but in truth this is not that successful a producer tag. 5

Ill Blu - Not one but two tags, on the one hand those disgusted "ew!" cries which probably technically involve someone attempting to say "Ill", then the evil robot intoning "Ill... Blu..." The sense of timing for the deployment of both is almost always exquisite. Flawless in concept and execution. 10

Awesome.

mms

sometimes

:p:D

gumdrops

i like some of the tags, when they sound a bit more inventive than that 'marcus nasty dubplate' branding. do like the roska one though, just cos even though its just his name, sounds kinda unusual, plus he seems to somehow make it fit into the beat. dont think i could hack a whole album of roska though. ive a feeling the album will be weak. his tracks are brilliantly constructed but its such a limited pallette, stretching it out over an album will prob = tracks that dont sound so roska-ish or severe boredom from being stuck in his limits for 45 mins. roska seems to remind me of terror danjah actually. same sort of limited arsenal of sounds, but always finding new ways to tweak it.

tom lea

as a friend recently pointed out, the ILL. BLU one is great until you have a cd with 8 ill blu tracks on n you need to quickly figure out which one's which.

i love the lil silva drop on pulse v funky, like corpsey said.

and i like mosca's MOAAWSCA one.

franz

i love the lil silva drop on pulse v funky, like corpsey said.

yea thirded on this one.

one of my favourite VIP tags was from some shows from maybe 2 years ago, now when Marcus' Do You Mind plate had this beautiful vocal that went "the whole night, i'm listenin' to Marcus, Marcus Nasty"... don't think the song has ever sounded better for me than it did then

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i like Bangladesh's

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>