Fire fe de Vatican

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
New and aggressive atheism vs. old and (passive-)aggressive religion - take your pick!

They also said [Cardinal Kaspar's] "Third World" comment referred to the UK's multicultural society.

Yes, we have blacks here and everything. Heaven forfend! - edit: cross-post with JE

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Pleased to see my flatmate on channel four news brandishing a banner denouncing the Pope. He was actually just holding it for a friend but there is some irony in a thirty year old man who is dating a sixteen year old condemning paedophilia.

swears

preppy-kei
Pleased to see my flatmate on channel four news brandishing a banner denouncing the Pope. He was actually just holding it for a friend but there is some irony in a thirty year old man who is dating a sixteen year old condemning paedophilia.

That's not paedophilia, that's just a bit creepy and sad. When I hang around with my 18 y/o brother and his mates they seem like babies. Maybe she's really mature for a GCSE student, though. :D

swears

preppy-kei
There was a girl in my sixth form that everybody fancied who'd get picked up by her 26 year old boyfriend in his 5 series after classes. I don't blame her, we were all dorks.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
She is pretty mature. She's not a GCSE student though, she got expelled.

:p

Haha (I think).

I went to school with a girl (17ish at the time) who had a boyfriend in his 30s. Interestingly enough he also had a M5... Maybe there's a common factor here?

I'm 21 and consider my current thing (18) to be at the extreme younger end of the spectrum of girls I'd go for...

mms

sometimes
girls at my sixform used to basically compete to see who could go out with the oldest man pretty much - i recall one local singer songwriter type getting all the teen tang he could dream of.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So while everyone thinks the problem is lecherous older men, it's actually lecherous teenage girls...

zhao

there are no accidents
i look forward to being a dirty old man. hopefully the dj type will replace the singer songwriter type in 20 years.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As it happens I'm reading Lolita at the moment - it's quite funny to imagine Humbert Humbert as an ageing DJ.

Last edited:

luka

that dawkins article is dreadful. its clumsy polemic, factually incorrect and simple minded. dont encourage him.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'll grant that he's obviously cherry-picking, because everyone who wants to make a point does that, but what has he written that's factually incorrect?

crackerjack

I'll grant that he's obviously cherry-picking, because everyone who wants to make a point does that, but what has he written that's factually incorrect?

It's just a completely dishonest portrait of Hitler's relationship with religion and the CC's relationship with Nazism. Catholics voted Nazi at 1/3 the rate of non-Catholics ( the Nazi party actually scored very badly in Bavaria in 30 and 32) and some of their leading lights in the early years like Ludendorff hated the Catholic church almost as much they hated Jews.

Catholic "support" for the Nazis came about after 33 and was about cynical pragmatism and survival. Before that they'd barred senior Nazis from receiving sacraments.

Hitler's attitude to religion was ambivalent, even confused, but they were much too suspicious of established hierarchy to as cosy with Catholicism as he implies.

Last edited: