Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • No-one

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
So was that allowed? The poll booth I was manning, the police turned up and barred people from gving out leaflets and me from taking polling-card numbers.

Respect looked like they were trying to walk Asian voters into the booth half the time.

Oops, bad phrasing on my part, I meant outside the front door of the polling station, not in the room with the booths or anything. So just your standard election-day stuff. Yeah I imagine people trying to leaflet/campaign inside the building would have been thrown out.
What do you mean by taking polling-card numbers btw?

crackerjack

There were fucking loads of young Bangladeshis in Tory t shirts outside my polling station on the way home. Which is not the stereotype.

Obviously there are plenty of Asian Tories, but if these were young and not conspicuously middle class, I'd guess they're IFE. They'd love to see Jim F beaten and Galloway isn't gonna do it.

Where I was, just up the road - where Respect are in with a shout - the only Tory Asian was a middle-aged man in a suit, one of the lawyers.

samdiamond

I felt a bit disappointed that noone tried to get me to vote for them when I walked past the polling station (stepney green) this morning. don't get me wrong, i'd already voted and i would have been annoyed had anyone approached, but it's nice feel wanted, y'know?

shit loads of police everywhere round here, and helicopters too. i'm a bit nervous if i'm honest

crackerjack

Oops, bad phrasing on my part, I meant outside the front door of the polling station, not in the room with the booths or anything. So just your standard election-day stuff. Yeah I imagine people trying to leaflet/campaign inside the building would have been thrown out.
What do you mean by taking polling-card numbers btw?

No, not bad phrasing - you're not allowed to give out leaflets or canvas voters within x yards of the polling booth entrance.

Parties take the polling card numbers of people who've voted so they know not to bother knocking on their doors later. At least, they do if they can, which strictly you can't. So once the police turned up to enforce the law, we had to ask for voters for theiur numbers on their way out - by which time they'd chucked their cards away.:(

grizzleb

I felt a bit disappointed that noone tried to get me to vote for them when I walked past the polling station (stepney green) this morning. don't get me wrong, i'd already voted and i would have been annoyed had anyone approached, but it's nice feel wanted, y'know?
The thrill of the chase.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
No, not bad phrasing - you're not allowed to give out leaflets or canvas voters within x yards of the polling booth entrance.

Parties take the polling card numbers of people who've voted so they know not to bother knocking on their doors later. At least, they do if they can, which strictly you can't. So once the police turned up to enforce the law, we had to ask for voters for theiur numbers on their way out - by which time they'd chucked their cards away.:(

Hmmm, interesting. They were pretty close to the door, couldn't tell you if they were breaking the rule or not though. No cops about while I was there, also nobody seemed to be taking polling card numbers. Thanks for explaining how it works though, makes sense.

hucks

Your Message Here
Obviously there are plenty of Asian Tories, but if these were young and not conspicuously middle class, I'd guess they're IFE. They'd love to see Jim F beaten and Galloway isn't gonna do it.

Was out door to door earlier, and the Labour councillor was talking about how he was going to sue over some letter than went out purporting to be from him saying that no one should vote for the other two Labour councillors in our ward cos one was Jewish and the other was a gangster. Who would believe that? That's beyond dirty tricks and into the land of the truly demented.

He said it came from an alliance of Tories and Respect. Tower Hamlets politics is fucking crazy. And, frankly, rubbish.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Nation out of step with Dissensus

What would it be like if it was in step? (Compulsory lessons in schools on the hardcore continuum?)

At my polling station there was one Lib Dem woman taking polling card numbers but no one else. This pretty much sums up this election for me at a local level; I've received a leaflet from the Lib Dems and Labour, but that was to do with the general election. I didn't get anything from anyone about the council elections meaning I couldn't really make an informed vote.

crackerjack

Is this not very dodgy ?

No, it's entirely legal and proper. It means if a party's canvassers have been told someone plans to vote (to pick a party entirely at random) Labour, they don't go knocking on their door at 9pm to ask them if they've already voted (as Labour are currently doing in my block).

Seen it on the news last night, where the parties where making up their own polls

Where I live, people are making up a lot more than their own polls.:eek:

Woebot

hmm. i dunno actually. let's keep it simple. if anyone is going to vote for something else (ie they put "other" then they can say who in the thread)

me i detest the conservatives. i don't hate labour so much. i dislike nick clegg but for me it's a local issue and so it's going to have to be lib dems. if i vote labour (our only alternative in islington) i'd be throwing away three years of grassroots campaigning - essentially bashing the lib dems (tho sometimes in fairness to them it's more productive than that).

oy vey

zhao

there are no accidents
so who is winning or who has won? when are results in?

and who are the 4 dissensians who voted Tory?

Vimothy maybe? (apologize if mistaken) who else?

sorry... just woke up a few minutes ago... checked BBC... got the latest... cheers... none the less / for what it's worth.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Zhao: it's still not totally clear, but looks almost certain to be a hung parliament.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Green Party bwoyyyyyeeee :flavaflav:

Felt lovely walking back from the polling station in the spring sunshine :)

Fifth place in Glasgow Central, gah. Was hoping we might actually get above the Tories, finished above the BNP at least

Labour - Lib Dem coalition would have more seats than the Tories right now