chuggers

scottdisco

rip this joint please
a friend of mine, her brother is the administrator/head honcho for one particular posse of chuggers (they're somewhere in the Manchester area, poss' Mcr city centre, i forget), and although i don't know details of what goes on, i know she has a low view of his job. he doesn't go out chugging, he's in an office somewhere.

anyway, my two c (much like chuggers, i am rudely inflicting without asking) is although it would be good if the need for chuggers was not around, it clearly is, and if some hardscrabble kids have to get in your face, so be it. there are many people who have started giving a little bit to fine, upstanding charities purely because some kid took the time to duck into their path whilst they were out in town.
end of, really.

i totally hear what Baboon is saying about wouldn't it be nice if the state took care of everything they're touting for (whether it's a dogs' home, Amnesty, a cancer research charity, Children International, whatever), but, the perfect is the enemy of the good, yunno?

admittedly Nomad's tale is an interesting one, i think the charitable sector in the USA raises more money per head than in the UK (tax deductible innit), but i can't imagine it's better regulated in any particular way, shape or form (that said my American ex worked for a non-profit for ages and they did a lot of good work, keenly regulated).

i mean, like anyone, i get accosted a lot, and apart from a rare occasion when i wanna hear what they have to say, a simple 'sorry' or 'no thanks' and you're both off on your separate ways again...

rubberdingyrapids

had a call from one organisation i already volunteer for and donate to the other day, asking me to donate about a £100 to pakistan. said i couldnt afford it at the moment, so she lowered the amount, told her my position hadnt changed, but she just kept pushing and pushing and would not give up, no matter what i said. i think i could have said that i was homeless and she would have still kept going. chuggers have balls.

she also told me the company she works for will get £45,000 for the work they do which i can understand, but at the same time, left me wondering how the numbers add up.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Adding to what Nomad said upthread, I also have heard many things about charity organizations in North America and their "operating costs." Apparently it can be completely legal to run an organization that puts away a higher percentage of what they collect into "operating costs" than into actual donations. You know, as long as the paperwork is right. Nevermind supermarket chuggers either, I'd say that the Churches have this game particularly zipped up. You're not as likely going to spend an eternity in Hell by telling the kid outside the 7-11 to fuck off.

So like Tea said, it isn't much of a stretch at all to call it licenced begging, and perhaps in the case of the Churches, a kind of extortion.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i thought it was maybe about this guy

Or this guy:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

grizzleb

not really, id love to see your reaction after someone try's to sell you the same thing 3 days in a row. Especially as I am in dispute with a similar company at the moment.
I'm just kidding on. These people are immensely annoying and deserve any anger that gets thrown at them.

alex

Do not read this.
Sorry for that reply man, didn’t mean it to sound confrontational, in my defence I had been posting on dsf about 5 minutes previous to that and these people really wind me up.

Sorry to sound like I can’t take a joke, I am a dogs penis at times.