for all the oneohtrix point never fans!

swears

preppy-kei
i always thought this as well; i'm no synth expert but i have a very budget 1990s groovebox and that crisp tone on a lot of his tracks isn't so far removed from it.

+ agree on the second point as well, as often as i play his more arpeggiated stuff there is this depressing emptiness to it. it's glossy but really skeletal and makes me uneasy where a lot of ambient is about comforting blankets.
i love when he's more subdued, "grief and repetition" and "behind the bank"...as well as his "lady in red" loop, which should go in that "late night city aesthetic" thread:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow... sunsetcorp is Oneohtrix? I thought it was the guy from KGB tapes?

swears

preppy-kei
This is even better:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

grizzleb

I'm being toungue in cheek a bit - I've got alotta love for plenty of ambient/drone/etc stuff, and there's plenty really moving and interesting stuff. However there are plenty people who just churn out stereotypical, boring presetty rubishness, and in that regard it's very similar to most genres, for every 'acid tracks' there are a million boring ripoffs, that's just how it goes. Just bemoaning that really, more than anything else. Would love to hear more strong ambient stuff, like Jan Jelinek, Alva Noto, Deathprod, Tim Hecker, etc (who are all not far off 'a pad and some reverb' stylistically, but have taken some time to develop and make something satisfying with their ideas) but unfortunately most of the stuff I listen to, on boomkat or whatever is pretty weak. I don't get how what I'm saying is "such a shallow way of thinking about ambient, and music in general."

Dusty

Tone deaf
Have you explored Deupree's 12k label roster yet? One of the few labels where I just buy every release on sight without bothering to preview.

boo

this is a personal fave, the pitch bend and edits on this a few of his are like chopped 'n screwed hardcore

++ coz this is a "for the OPN fans" thread this may be useful, specially for you labrat (i'm hosting the mcr date at saki bar :) >>>>>>

27 May 2010 20:00
@ FREEBUTT w/ Tomutonttu Brighton, ., UNITED KINGDOM
28 May 2010 20:00
@ Common Place w/ Tomutonttu, Neil Campbell/Michael Flower, The A Band Leeds, GB
29 May 2010 20:00
@ Arts School w/ Tomutonttu Glasgow, Scotland , GB
30 May 2010 20:00
@ SAKI BAR w/ Tomutonttu Manchester, ., UNITED KINGDOM
31 May 2010 20:00
@ CARGO w/ Tomutonttu, Goodiepal London, London and, GB
2 Jun 2010 20:00
@ La Geode w/ Manuel Gottsching (Villette Sonique Fest) Paris, FR

boo

yup, that's the one, with the shisha bar outside.

should also add, the new album is an ace. the title track sounds well like fever ray

stephenk

new oneohtrix is pretty rad, it's got the warped vocal thing in a few places as exemplified here, which i was hoping he'd use more of

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

swears

preppy-kei
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

daddek

reminds me of the fake rusko vid that was made to discredit him.

could easily fall in love with the idea with oneohtrix' work, but i wish he would go further with the actual work of arrangement, key changes & such.. The stylistic concepts and musical gestures are great, but the raw listening experience isnt as quite engaging as I hope to be, I find myself filling the blanks, trying to be more into it than I really am. Despite the occasional intended vacuity as woebot put it, I think he often wants to be quite rawly emotive.. a little more compositional dexterity and he would nail it

swears

preppy-kei
reminds me of the fake rusko vid that was made to discredit him.

could easily fall in love with the idea with oneohtrix' work, but i wish he would go further with the actual work of arrangement, key changes & such.. The stylistic concepts and musical gestures are great, but the raw listening experience isnt as quite engaging as I hope to be, I find myself filling the blanks, trying to be more into it than I really am. Despite the occasional intended vacuity as woebot put it, I think he often wants to be quite rawly emotive.. a little more compositional dexterity and he would nail it

Thing is, some of his tracks are a bit slapdash... like you want them to suddenly go somewhere more interesting, but then they just loop forever or switch up into a phased MOR sample or something that sounds tacked on at the last minute. But now and again this works to his advantage. I mean, he's done enough stuff so that you can wade through it and decide for yourself.

Last edited: