mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
That is a bit misleading though as not all of those goals came when Torres was on the pitch, for instance it was because of Pedro that Villa was able to score against Paraguay. Similarly, it was when Llorente came on against Portugal that Spain looked more threatening.

crackerjack

That is a bit misleading though as not all of those goals came when Torres was on the pitch, for instance it was because of Pedro that Villa was able to score against Paraguay. Similarly, it was when Llorente came on against Portugal that Spain looked more threatening.

Point taken, but Llorente plays a similar(ish) role to Torres and, misleading or not, Villa's record in this WC is still markedly better with Torres on the pitch than without. He - or someone in better form playing a similar role - gives them the direct options that aren't there with total tiki-taka. It's a shame Pedro didn't make that pass the other night - it would at least have given Torres the chance to boost his confidence (or just fuck off back to club football and get good again).

scottdisco

rip this joint please
very true mrfaucet, and also cracker's amended views.

Torres has had a shite World Cup, but that's just him being off. eg when Llorente came on against Portugal, Alves had all sorts of problems in the Portuguese defence, whereas in the first half he'd more or less had Torres in his pocket.

nice article that Luke, i particularly enjoyed his castigating English, Argie and Aussie defences against the Germans. and beautiful attrition as a Spanish description, very OTM, just like what D_Q says :)

very impressed w Spain against Germany. (still not fell for them in the way the occasionally glass-jawed countering of Germany and Argentina had me under a spell, though that clearly says far more about my ramshackle aesthetics than anything objective.) their celebrations against Germany in Euro '08 - never seen that clip - leave a sour taste.

the Dutch really laboured against Uruguay at stages, eh?! still, in it to win it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
TBH in terms of elements of gobsmacking and total play and stuff, the Brazilians at stages against the Dutch (and they were nifty against the Ivorians), well, in that first half anyway, have probably been the single most breath-taking (but i have already established my grasp of what makes the soundest tactics is a mercurial one).

but heck bye bye Brasil so there we are. but what a weird match that was! poor Dutch first half, good second. very good Brazilian first, absolutely appalling second. random.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's a shame Pedro didn't make that pass the other night"
I'm probably the only one but (as someone who plays upfront) I can understand why he didn't pass that one. I reckon that in that situation when the pass is so obviously the right thing to do you can trick the defender into covering it and score yourself. Of course this philosophy could be why my teammates hate me.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
All of tonight's coverage and punditry has been done by impersonators taking off the people that usually do it. The whole show, madness

don_quixote

Trent End
the asamoah gyan vs america goal is my favourite. that oezil pass for klose vs argentina is my favourite pass, perfect weighting and balance to a ball passed on the run, takes out 3 players.