potato waffles

bobbin

What
now potato waffles are tasty, no question about that. in fact i think i saw them described in a fancy design magazine as 'the most thrilling example of brutalist culinary engineering yet'.

but they are a bit dry. what i want to know is, what do you do to moist them up and add more flavour?

suggestions: brown sauce; fried egg; put them on a pizza in the oven (it works)

bobbin

What
yeah garlic mayonnaise could be ALL RIGHT actually. is this something you've ever made at home?

and that is a good point grizzleb, if you got beans on the plate you're pretty much done. although these days i'm getting a bit bored of that bean juice/carbohydrate combo over the full duration. it's nice to have a reserve on the sidelines.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yeah garlic mayonnaise could be ALL RIGHT actually. is this something you've ever made at home?

Nope, I don't eat waffles very often but it struck me that you've basically got a fatty potato product, like chips, and chips-n-mayo is good so why not waffles-n-mayo? Plus garlic to be all continental and fancy, like.

Mustard with chips is pretty good - worth trying with waffles? Hot English mustard with cool mayo as a foil. That could work, I reckon.

bobbin

What
i meant more the mayonnaise. not sure i've seen the garlic variety outside of a kebab shop!

mustard eh? any excuse to eat mustard is worthwhile but does it really fare well unless on meat?

coleslaw is a bit out of nowhere but probably a sick idea. bit of extra crunchy.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I reckon you could use two waffles as a makeshift burger bun. I'm still yet to have a go at the heart attack burger - two Chicago Town microwave pizzas used as the bun/sauce/cheese for a half pound burger.

bobbin

What
i can see hot meat juice dribbling through the holes like nobody's business...

that pizza suggestion is thoroughly unclean, but you sound as if people have actually done it :confused:

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
yesterday's bolognese on a waffle with a fried egg and some encona chilli sauce and a cup of sweet tea - king of hangover breakfasts!

has anyone ever put a waffle on a bbq?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
cheese and tomato on waffle. (this is perhaps highly influenced by that i had cheese and tomato on toast for my tea for the first time in ages last night.)

cheesy beans and fried egg.

stewing steak drizzled on, mayo on side? gets even more Belgian-influenced then. also a bit like the burger shout.

a waffle sandwich, hot buttered bread, w waffle filling (as distinct from using two waffles as the slices in another sort of sandwich). the melting butter would help some then, or spread mayo on the bread instead.

pretty much the only sandwich filling i ever live on is tuna mayo w diced peppers. that might work. like coleslaw, crunch from the peppers.

as you can see, Tea's mayo shout is on my mind.

routes' breakfast FTW! waffle on a BBQ? that would be quality.

grizzleb

I reckon you could use two waffles as a makeshift burger bun. I'm still yet to have a go at the heart attack burger - two Chicago Town microwave pizzas used as the bun/sauce/cheese for a half pound burger.
You're a sick man for those mad fast food double-up tings. You heard of the 'McGangbang'? Sounds right up your street:

The McGangBang ranks up there in the holy pantheon of WTF. It's a sandwich made from a double cheeseburger and a McChicken sandwich — where you put an entire McChicken sandwich inside a double cheeseburger. It's a creative manipulation of existing menu items, and an exercise in frugality: taking two items off of the Dollar Menu and creating an entirely new sandwich for a total of $2.16. Truly, it's a sandwich that's more than the sum of its parts.

Stick a couple of waffles in there as well probably.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
on another food thread yonks ago i brought up a Toronto burger joint. TO-based Sick Boy (IIRC) and maybe Zhao were interested too.

Dangerous Dan's menu

scroll to the bottom for the more generous menu items, eg

The Coronary Burger Special
2 8oz Patties, 4 Slices of Bacon, 2 Slices of Cheddar and a Fried Egg on top. Served w/ Fries and Gravy, Can of Pop and Mayo as a garnish for sure!

"Collosal Colon Clogger Combo"
24oz burger served with a quarter pound of cheese, a quarter pound of bacon, and 2 fried eggs. Also comes with a large shake and a small poutine.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that pizza suggestion is thoroughly unclean, but you sound as if people have actually done it :confused:

Look where cobretti is posting from...

Edit: grizzleb, that McGangBang is insane! A sandwich made of sandwiches? Was it invented by Bertrand Russell?

Last edited:

bobbin

What
has anyone ever put a waffle on a bbq?

nope but i would try it, i like barbecuing stuff. i did some mint polos which were quite nice, a bit gooey.

a waffle sandwich, hot buttered bread, w waffle filling (as distinct from using two waffles as the slices in another sort of sandwich). the melting butter would help some then, or spread mayo on the bread instead.

LIKE IT. potentially the new chip butty. forget the mayo though.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Never done the McGangBang, but I have put a McDonalds cheeseburger and fries on top of a slice of 18" pepperoni pizza before. I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty good.

I'm liking the egg with waffles suggestion, I didn't used to be so crazy for eggs but I've come around to the idea that a fried egg will enhance pretty much any savoury meal. Can't be beaten on pizza.

STN

sou'wester
I sometimes do bacon and a really vinegary waffle (loads of salt too) between two slices of toast with mayonnaise on them. It's pretty good.