hip hop '10

crackerjack

The Fallon performance was great.

Who invited Mr. I don't give a what?

It's a shame it's just Tyler who's been signed to XL. I only really listen to Earl's stuff though. Tyler and Earl are defnitely the two who standout in OF.

But Earl's in jail, right? Maybe when he comes out...Richard Russell has form in this direction.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Haha just came here to post Odd Future's Fallon performance, but I see I came a little too late. Fucking brilliant - had me in stitches. They are such little cunts.

gumdrops

i like odd future - theyve got something, but - and im aware that with so much music out there not all of its going to be fantastic - a fair amount of their rapping seems a bit derivative. not bad, but quite easy to trace to earlier rappers. which diminishes the enjoyment a bit for me. i like shock rap as much as the next man but they remind me of various rawkus guys/eminem/other guys from back then. its surprising (after all the self hate from old underground heads who converted to the mainstream/crunk or whatever) to see a lot of rappers hyped on blogs sound like the rawkus era actually. but then its only natural that guys who know about blog promotion are going to have been rawkus/underground fans.

Last edited:

gumdrops

mellow hype gram is the one that got me interested in them. plus the video is in a barbers chair which i like. theres a long piece on them in the quietus but i cant be bothered to read it all now. these guys photograph very well dont they? funny and crazy. but not scary (not that ive seen). which maybe makes the lyrics scarier. though tbh, im sure ill have heard more disgusting/vile/pitch-blackly comedic lyrics from ra the rugged man or necro. these guys are prob lightweights in comparison.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
They've got personality, or at least Tyler and Earl have, and that goes a long way for me. Tyler for example isn't technically very impressive but his voice is so distinctive and, while his image is obviously contrived to some extent (whose isn't?) there's a certain irrepressible anger and energy to his delivery/lyrics, which can often result in his lyrics not actually making much sense... but then he'll say something which you'll never hear another rapper saying. I really like Tyler's production too, and Left Brain's. Mellowhype 'Blackenwhite' is probably (as Tyler has said) the strongest O.Future release to date (although I also think the first ten or so tracks on 'Bastard' are really strong, it tails off a little bit for me) - at least of what I've heard.

But Odd Future as a complete collective aren't exactly uniform, I suppose its the production that unites them, but they don't represent a defined aesthetic like Wu Tang and to be honest for me they are nowhere near as compelling (on the whole) as the Wu MCs. Mellowhype are a much more straight-forward rap-group (Hodgy is actually possibly the strongest rapper from O.Future technically aside from Earl), 'Rolling Papers' by Domo Genesis is more-or-less Wiz Khalifa style weed-veneration. Domo is alright, but I can't really see him or Mike G ever becoming big off the back of their skills, Odd Future's popularity is obviously tied in hugely with their image/Tyler's personality. Tumblr is awash with photos of Tyler. Tyler's music, however, is worthy of making a splash IMO. Earl is a very good rapper but again I think it was the production on 'Earl' that made it so successful.

Actually there's a lot of rappers around nowadays who aren't technically impressive in terms of complex/interesting lyrics but who still make good music, because they pick good beats or because they know how to work with the beats they have so well - Wiz Kalifah is the obvious example for me. Curren$y sort of hits me in the same way but he's a technically good rapper as well, I just think the laid-back lazy delivery of his lyrics merges so well with Ski Beatz production, it just creates a great sound.

luka

allow me to merk your trite selections with this:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

^^this guy, lol^^