How the World Sees England

craner

Beast of Burden
Cam can't wait to give up office and check into the Bilderberg group and play his part in running the world.

droid

I think that without some form of political unity, warfare in general would be very difficult. But there's no reason why that community should centre around the nation (still less around nationalism). People are capable of going to war for all sorts of reasons, did so for many millennia before the advent of the nation, and will doubtless do so for many millennia after its disappearance.

Prior to the nation we had tribalism, religion & coercion - and we no doubt will again.

But the fact is, once a group reaches a certain size, or once some kind of democratic or representative system comes into play, you need to manufacture consent and quell dissent. Nationalism has been one of the most effective ways to do this. Examples abound.

craner

Beast of Burden
Nationalism in Europe is rampant. But on a small scale, ironically encouraged by the EU. They have funded micronationalisms, for example Wales, Scotland, Catalonia, Venice, to undermine the Nation State, and build the European project. It's a mad concept that simply encourages more recidivism, backward thinking and self-destrucive politics. Wales is a prime example. The Welsh cultural and political elites have built on the ridiculous Welsh Language Act, forcing state school kids to study the Welsh language up to the age of 16, rather than something useful like German, and all public sector bodies to publish in Welsh and English with no extra funds for translation and material publication (everything duplicated in ink on paper sent out with envelopes which about 90% of the population ignore and throw away because they don't speak or read Welsh).

Last edited:

droid

The counterargument being that regionalisation can lead to more democratic, accountable and sustainable societies - in theory.

craner

Beast of Burden
Maybe, but it seems to lead to impossible coalitions and more nationalist crap. A bit like Israel, actually.

droid

Well, decentralised, accountable, democratic and local structures of governance are progressive - anarchic even.

craner

Beast of Burden
Not in practice. Certainly not in Wales, which limps on by leaching off EU funds for useless projects which invariably get shut down, because they're useless and uselessly expensive.

droid

Dont know much about Welsh devolution, but there have been plenty of encouraging noises in Spain.

craner

Beast of Burden
And it encourages the worst sentiments, for example the Scottish argument was loudly nationalist, but was actually based on the idea that they would be absorbed by the benevolent EU structure and gorge on North Sea oil, but as both of these fantasies have collapsed the SNP have clung onto the chimera of left wing nationalism. Which may work for them, because the left Scots are not going to vote for Corbyn, but it's not a pretty outcome either way

craner

Beast of Burden
But if Catalonia breaks away, followed by the Basques, how will Spain continue to exist? And if it doesn't, why is that good?

droid

You're just desperate to maintain the last vestiges of empire. Upper lip quivering with outrage at the prospect of Australia ditching the queen.

vimothy

yurp
If you look at war in the 21st century, it's increasingly being fought by international coalitions and non-state transnational organisations (such as ISIS). It's not 'about' fostering nationhood, or validating the Nation State - it doesn't necessarily even feature two states fighting one another.

craner

Beast of Burden
No I'm not, I'm asking questions that I want answers to, because I abhor nationalism as much as I do religion.

luka

It's wasted on em vim I gave up years ago. They're readers. They just read shit and repeat it. Basically devices which record and play back. Me and you are different

craner

Beast of Burden
And monarchy. I'm an atheist, an internationalist and a republican. So you've got me wrong on two counts there, Droid.

luka

We're visionaries
We see the patterns taking shape. We see the fractal nature of reality. Leave them in their guttenberg galaxy.