Where to live in London?

IdleRich

IdleRich
How do you know he was from Bruce Grove?
Is that the only hail and ride bus in London? It seems like a thing from another time or place.

Sounds like the beginnings of a good story there. What's a pre-robbery pitch?

First off, Groningen is one of the nicest cities in Northern Europe - compact but busy, more bikes than people, not expensive, soft air and the cathedral bells playing what sounded like a Belgian ravecore medley on Thursday night, but may have just been Bach.

But Wednesday had been a hell of a day, really intense business stuff in Germany, followed by a long drive and torrential rain. So my brother and i found a suitable coffee shop and started a small blaze. I was keen to move on after a bit. This young fella gets up with us and follows us out, chatting shit along the way, checking we're from London, confirming he is "yeah mate, N17, Bruce Grove, Tottenham proper", tries to sell us something we're not interested in there and then, before getting up into personal space and rooting around in my jacket pocket. Nope. So I brought my elbow up sharp and whirled out of range, picking up my phone which I must have jogged out of his had onto the ground behind me. He fucked off pretty sharp after fronting for a few seconds and probably weighing up we're big enough to get the better of him even if he had a knife. He had followed my brother up from the coffee shop, so I reckon it was his iphone he was after rather than my blackberry, but he chose the luckier, hyper-vigilant brother.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
First off, Groningen is one of the nicest cities in Northern Europe - compact but busy, more bikes than people, not expensive, soft air and the cathedral bells playing what sounded like a Belgian ravecore medley on Thursday night, but may have just been Bach.

But Wednesday had been a hell of a day, really intense business stuff in Germany, followed by a long drive and torrential rain. So my brother and i found a suitable coffee shop and started a small blaze. I was keen to move on after a bit. This young fella gets up with us and follows us out, chatting shit along the way, checking we're from London, confirming he is "yeah mate, N17, Bruce Grove, Tottenham proper", tries to sell us something we're not interested in there and then, before getting up into personal space and rooting around in my jacket pocket. Nope. So I brought my elbow up sharp and whirled out of range, picking up my phone which I must have jogged out of his had onto the ground behind me. He fucked off pretty sharp after fronting for a few seconds and probably weighing up we're big enough to get the better of him even if he had a knife. He had followed my brother up from the coffee shop, so I reckon it was his iphone he was after rather than my blackberry, but he chose the luckier, hyper-vigilant brother.

fuck man that's crazy.. like getting London-mugged but in northern europe.. glad you're ok

i remember being on my own outside charing cross station when i was about 13 (that sounds dodgier that it was meant to..) and this much older kid comes up to me and goes 'oi mate, where you from' and i said 'London' and then he said 'where abouts tho, which bit?' and i told him 'south east london, charlton' and then he proceeded to rob me for a fiver. i always wonder what area i could have said that would've let me off the mugging..

Alfons

Way of the future
I'll be moving to Brockley in September. As I'll be working from home we basically went for a place close to my girlfriends school (which is the purpose of the move).

I found it surprisingly hard to find good information on what the neighborhoods are like online. Lots of link spam sites and generic discussion boards with housewife talk about good schools, but not much else. Asked some friends and went for average rents and crime rates basically. Off course I should have consulted Dissensus first...

Anyways, if anyone has Brockley tips, stories or information, would be much appreciated.

viktorvaughn

I'll be moving to Brockley in September. As I'll be working from home we basically went for a place close to my girlfriends school (which is the purpose of the move).

I found it surprisingly hard to find good information on what the neighborhoods are like online. Lots of link spam sites and generic discussion boards with housewife talk about good schools, but not much else. Asked some friends and went for average rents and crime rates basically. Off course I should have consulted Dissensus first...

Anyways, if anyone has Brockley tips, stories or information, would be much appreciated.

Not really a tip but the one person I know who lived in Brockley really liked it.

hucks

Your Message Here
Cool, good to hear that, helps the pre-move jitters. Man what a hassle moving is, London better be worth it (I'm pretty sure that it will be).

It's a quiet area. There's a lot of young middle class parents moving there from Hackney cos the houses are bigger/ cheaper and have gardens, but it's on the overground so uts well connected. There's not much to do but New Cross and Peckham are nearby.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Brockley's really nice, my nephew lives there. Meze Mangal is quite a good ocakbsi place, not brilliant but yum, and there's a few nice patty shops, and New Cross is on fire at the moment in terms of pubs and fun nights out, it's the best place in London at the moment.

Alfons

Way of the future
Cool, thanks for the info, sounds like it might be a good fit.

Looking forward to do lots of loafin'

benw

anyway got any tips for places to live in london where you can rent a 3 bed house / flat for £1500 pcm or less - my only real stipulation in terms of area is that it has to be about 1.5hr's from brighton via public transport - so anywhere where you can get one direct train to clapham junction, east croydon, victoria, london bridge would work. would rather avoid changing too many times or taking buses / tube if possible.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
anyway got any tips for places to live in london where you can rent a 3 bed house / flat for £1500 pcm or less - my only real stipulation in terms of area is that it has to be about 1.5hr's from brighton via public transport - so anywhere where you can get one direct train to clapham junction, east croydon, victoria, london bridge would work. would rather avoid changing too many times or taking buses / tube if possible.

surrey quays / canada water / rotherhithe (downtown) is still pretty cheap and houses/big flats are around - just did a quick check for you :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Rotherhithe.html?sortType=1&minBedrooms=3&maxBedrooms=3

benw

looks like we might have found somewhere in sydenham/forest hill in the end - if the offer goes thru.... whats good around these bits? bars, shops, pubs etc?

Last edited:

benw

looks like we might have found somewhere in sydenham/forest hill in the end - if the offer goes thru.... whats good around these bits? bars, shops, pubs etc?

no one?

place is just in between crystal palace park and sydenham wells park so nearby stations are sydenham, sydenham hill, pengem eaast/west, anerley and gipsy hill. so suggestions near any of those would be appreciated!