Underground Hip-Hop

connect_icut

I will not isolate myself from this thread. Actually, it's really re-ignited my interest in this stuff and I no longer feel even a trace of embarrassment about it. The real catalyst was finding that Sonic Sum 12" and it's nice to hear that at least one person on this forum has heard at least one of their later albums. I think I'll have to hunt those down myself.

The production on the first album and the 12" has the doomy atmosphere of a lot of undie rap but it also has the sense of space and funkiness you get with actual hip-hop. Similarly, while Robin Sonic's lyrics are dense and opaque, his cadence is pretty musical and I'm always left with the feeling that it all means something, even if I'm not sure exactly what.

blackpixie

unfortunately underground hip hop and other genre names like art rock are automatically deemed for purchase by hipsters only. But i have always found that feeling guilty for listening to anything will keep you from the real gems. Anyways there is a pretty good group of guys from oakland doing good hip hop that is not conservative. Blog and a sick mixtape from "ahyve."

Of course you have the hieroglyphics guys and Dr. Octagon.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

More bay area from main attrakionz, they were brought up in the hip hop 10 thread as well

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>