IdleRich

IdleRich
It's also very boring, lives so boring they become fascinating.

I saw a video of Andrew Tate and some women sitting on a luxurious rooftop in a luxurious hotel thing in Dubai eating - or at least sitting beside - oysters or something and the boredom was so physical and palpable it was almost coming out of the screen and strangling the viewer.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Though I don't really mean that as a dig at Tate. I saw an interview with him once and he was kinda musing on the limits of wealth and I found it quite odd cos he was saying "You can buy a load of cars but really how many do you need? I've got a wardrobe full of clothes that I don't wear" and more of the same and I found it quite strange cos it was like he half gets it, he understands the limits and how beyond a certain point of necessities and maybe some genuinely desired luxuries then spending becomes this pointless and shallow performative thing - and everything he said was right. But at the same time you see him dismiss all these things that people enjoy - off the top of the head I saw him talking about skateboarding and cooking and clubbing - cos they don't get you any money or pussy. And I think I was right saying that he half gets it, he's recognised that money can't salve the soul... but then frustratingly he dismisses all the things that might just do that cos he seems either unable or unwilling to recognise the intangible benefits that come from those sorts of things. And yeah that video of him dying of boredom in Dubai was him seemingly suffering through the exact problems he had identified in the interview.

And in fact that seems very typical of the guy. Until he was being discussed on dissensus I'd never heard of him, and then I read about him in the news (well newspapers, it obviously wasn't news at all it was gossip) and that made him sound like this kinda evil mastermind (I'm not talking about the people-trafficking here, I just mean that there was this idea that he was a sort of dangerously seductive thinker with an evil ideology) with these terrible attitudes. And then I saw a couple of clips of him taking and he said some things had me thinking "Taking in isolation that's not unreasonable" - problem is, the second I'd thought that I saw another clip and I thought "This guy has clearly suffered serious brain damage". And that seems to be about the size of it, the stuff he says is a mixture of some of the dumbest you'll ever hear along with some moments where it seems he's on the cusp of getting it. As far as I can tell he's not some bogyeman nor a genius, I didn't anything that amounted to an ideology or even a coherent position, he's... well, you might think it's one of those "even a stopped clock etc" but I don't think that's it. He's more like an average guy who says a load of stuff and some of it is dumber than others. The weird thing is that people have made this ten a penny pub-bore cab-driver type into some sort of guru.

If you go to the Dog and Duck at ten pm Friday evening, pick a table and listen to the loudmouth guy laying down the law and putting the world to rights, just by the law of averages he'll likely say some stuff that you'll agree with and on some topics you'll be wincing and pretending you didn't hear. As far as I can see the difference between that bloke and Tate is not in what they say, it's just in how many people are listening.

Disclaimer; that opinion is formed from the small amount I've seen of him. I reserve the right to totally disavow it or even outright deny I ever said it if that turns out to be necessary.

version

S2 of Tokyo Vice started the other night. They've only released the first two episodes, but I'm hooked back in.

0bleak

S2 of Tokyo Vice started the other night. They've only released the first two episodes, but I'm hooked back in.

I only found out there was a S2 through doing some scrolling through the new stuff. It seems like Max have done no advertising for it.
I think I'm going to have to read the S1 episode breakdowns on Wikipedia, because after watching almost the first half of ep1 of S2, I've realized I don't remember enough.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
New season of Curb, genius as ever

The lawn jockey in Atlanta, jfc, a real southern gentleman, mocha Joe, multiple themes all tied up succinctly in the finale

version

Singing Detective's on iPlayer atm. Only an episode in, but it's already made an impression. Like a grotty, British Lynch, what with the musical numbers and oddball jazz club.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Singing Detective never looks away, searing story telling

It’s a period piece on multiple levels now, add delirium, the bite and bile of casual racism, all its surreal musical elements, almost Roy Andersson feel to the hospital, Joanne Whalley’s perfection of awkwardness and devouring eyes

Hope that’s not a Britain is Grim segue, more how much of an impression it made first time viewing

wild greens

I am about four years late but watching "The Curse" on Channel 4

Any good series about Brits upto capers on the Costa Del Sol? I wanted second series of this to be a bit different than it is

Saw Sky made something called Town Called Malice but it looks ropey

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Shogun

pants but it’s having a go, Cosmo whoever going for a Richard Burton vocalisation akin to broadsword calling Danny boy

almost too much detail, I’ve enjoyed its world opening up as broader character assets have been introduced - the church as conflict point, land lubbery sea elements and the costume dept having a field day

back to the quotidian grind