Paul Verhoeven

mixed_biscuits

IdleRich

IdleRich
Love PV, as well as 4th Man I gotta mention Spetters which is about motorcross riders or something.... basically coming of age, shagging girls and, er, gay bashing. Must be fifteen years since I've seen it but I thought it was ace.

Love PV, as well as 4th Man I gotta mention Spetters which is about motorcross riders or something.... basically coming of age, shagging girls and, er, gay bashing. Must be fifteen years since I've seen it but I thought it was ace.
There's one with Rutger Hauer in the Dutch resistance, bashing Nazis instead of gays

Soldier of orange, 1977

version

I should watch more Verhoeven. I've got The Fourth Man in my watchlist, but I've only seen some of the famous ones: RoboCop, Showgirls, Starship Troopers, Total Recall.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I should watch more Verhoeven. I've got The Fourth Man in my watchlist, but I've only seen some of the famous ones: RoboCop, Showgirls, Starship Troopers, Total Recall.
I saw Showgirls a long time ago and remember thinking it was pretty naff, but I should probably give it another go. Mistersloane, late of this parish, was something of an evangelist for it.

It definitely has one of the all-time most ridiculous sex scenes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw this photo the other day and it made me think that a large part of America might have failed to spot that Verhoeven's films are intended mainly as satires, and had instead taken his output as an instruction manual.

maga_church.jpeg

version

I saw Showgirls a long time ago and remember thinking it was pretty naff, but I should probably give it another go. Mistersloane, late of this parish, was something of an evangelist for it.

It definitely has one of the all-time most ridiculous sex scenes.

It's one of those films that's taken on a life of its own as we move further from it.

maxi

the first 20 seconds of this scene might be my favourite shot in any movie. I think a lot of people don't really understand Showgirls including people that like it. they think it's a camp classic or something rather than hyperbolic satire