cuts - preliminary skirmishes

D

droid

Can we get a few thousand of your students over here to smash things up please? We cant pay them, but we dont have 'official' fees, and the unofficial fees are only 2000 euro a year.

luka

Matt

I’m a student and discussing the fees aside, watching today’s footage I wanted nothing more than to see some of those “students” get a good thrashing. The BBC commentary has been cringe-worthy and one sided (As per usual). Absolute admiration for the bravery and determination of the officers out there today, some of those concrete blocks looked horrific.

I just hope this time around those in the upper echelons of police “management” and government appreciate the commitment displayed by the police in London today and ignore the excrement that is no doubt flowing onto the comments of the grauniad site.

luka

inspectorgadget

Urinating on Churchill’s statue, attacking the Prince Of Wales car, throwing concrete blocks at police – this is a total GIFT for those in favour of a fees increase.

(this is actually true though)

luka

#
larry doot

on reading some of the daily mail comments, the usual ‘police haters’ have come right around to our way of thinking..

i think a lot of people will accept damage to buildings, the odd officer injured.. BUT when you start defacing a statute of a man whose generally accepted as one of the greatest britons ever, and attack the heir to the throne, you’ve crossed a line..

thank you protesters..

hope all the bobbies are okay

#
on December 9, 2010 at 8:39 pm Ex Chief Inspector

Just seen HRH’s car – the protesters are quite lucky the prot team didn’t perform a ‘Beirut unload’ on them. I wonder what the US Secret Service would have done?

on December 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm TaffyMedic

I thought much the same. Good restraint on the part of the prot team, the temptation to perform said unload must have been strong. I guess all the training they go though does work. Much as it did with that moat monstrosity.

If it were US SS they wouldn’t have got within ten feet of the car.

luka

its funny, kpunk linked to this police blog im getting the comments from thiking it would harden peoples attitudes agsint the police. for me its done precisely the opposite. after reading it i have a lot less sympathy for the protestors and a lot more for the police.

luka

TacticalSupportInsp

Well, that was fun.

Just got back from our own local student demo – luckily it ended quite peacefully as Wetherspoons have started a 2 for 1 offer and they all buggered off to that.

luka

on December 9, 2010 at 10:40 pm Dave the Dog

Pissed off? Well you certainly piss me off. Don’t presume to talk for ‘the public’, I’m the public and so are the officers and MOP’s who comment on here. You don’t talk for me by a long shot.
I’m an ex squaddy with 26 years in, ex Special Con and 20 years as a Local Authority Enforcement Officer.
A lot of the Police I work with actually agree with the sentiments of the proper protesters but like me and most of the public I speak to are turned more and more against these idiots (idiots being the kindest word I want to use) I think I’ve done my bit for my country and so have the serving Officers and ex Servicemen who are now in the job.
I wonder what all these little darlings have done or ever will do for the country that gives them the right to protest peacefully.

luka

larry doot

i’ll start with a bit of a nice reply, i don’t think you’ll get many more..

the fact is many police officers agree with your cause, and we’re as pissed off as you at this government.. we agree with freedom of speech, and the right to protest.. but for us to stand there whilst people are trying to kill us, you better think again..

and i think there is only one side who ‘is not doing themselves favours’ today

luka

it wasn’t high on my list of priorities when joining the police that I would be required to put my life on the line in order that these same spoilt morons and every assorted hanger-on, rent-a-mob swampy and general scrote that wants a ruck, can have a violent tantrum when told that things aren’t going to go my way.
Whilst I am on the subject I didn’t particularly join up to see my pension screwed and my pay and conditoons trampled by the same government either – but when I protested about it I managed to do it without trashing London.

luka

Somerset01

I’m waiting for our pension and pay review, with interest. When the bricks are flying and thousands of student thugs. intent upon harm and destruction are marching on Parliament again, I wonder just how committed we would be to stopping them, when the Government have destroyed our terms of service.

I wonder if the government really understands, how close to the edge, the situation is?

luka

BTW Zulu is one of my favourite films – anyone remember when they used to show it Monday afternoons at Notting Hill Carnival just to set the scene?

luka

you live in a bubble of your own stupidity, doubtlessly confirmed with your canteen banter, public-funded boy’s toys and the occasional funny handshakes that put you above the actual law you supposedly – cough – ‘serve’.

Your mispelled, brain-dead replies would be welcome. I could do with having a laugh at our ‘finest’.

on December 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm Pocket Notebook Boy

Cheers, wedge.

It’s ‘misspelled’, by the way.

luka

can't help thinking that's k-punk getting his spelling wrong and making a cunt of himself. why do the people on 'my side' have to be such an embaressment? still better than reminiscing about the good old days of watching zulu before going out to bash the fuzzy-wuzzies.... jesus, what a country.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
its funny, kpunk linked to this police blog im getting the comments from thiking it would harden peoples attitudes agsint the police. for me its done precisely the opposite. after reading it i have a lot less sympathy for the protestors and a lot more for the police.

I've gone in the opposite direction, I agree pretty much 100% with kpunk on this one - which for me is a rarity to say the least.
I don't think of myself as a particularly anti-police kind of person in general, but a lot of the comments on that blog entry made me want to throw up. It was really sad and alarming to see (once they could hide behind the bare protection of a semi-anonymous user name) just how much some of the officers really relished getting the opportunity to use violence.
It was also obvious that, even before the demonstartions began, most of them had an indiscriminately antagonistic and contemptuous attitude towards the protestors. And I don't just mean all the daft 'away and get a wash' type comments, I also mean the outdated views of them as all being spoiled, priviliged, immature and from well-to-backgrounds - when of course higher education in this country has in recent times expanded drastically and includes many people from outside the middle classes.
When you put the two things together - the desire to use violence plus an image of the protestors as some mixture of spoiled brats and filthy animals - it's no wonder that it kicks off.

Edit: actually, even though it was written before the last protest, this post cover everything that I'd want to say about the issue and expresses it better:
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/011728.html

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Andy--there are absurd levels of stereotyping going on on both sides, as far as I can see.

You could just as easily say, "When you put the two things together - the desire to use violence plus an image of the police as some mixture of uneducated thugs and jackbooted Nazis - it's no wonder that it kicks off."

Anyone see the recent documentary about policing the EDL protests in Bolton? Really interesting.

vimothy

yurp
"While a good half of the march was undergraduates from the most militant college occupations - UCL, SOAS, Leeds, Sussex - the really stunning phenomenon, politically, was the presence of youth: bainlieue-style youth from Croydon, Peckam, the council estates of Islington."

^Is this true?

crackerjack

"While a good half of the march was undergraduates from the most militant college occupations - UCL, SOAS, Leeds, Sussex - the really stunning phenomenon, politically, was the presence of youth: bainlieue-style youth from Croydon, Peckam, the council estates of Islington."

^Is this true?

Yep, a lot of school/college age people protesting about withdrawal of EMA. On Paul Mason's Newsnight report there was an older student talking about how prominent they were.

You not see the BBC describe a group of black & Asian kids as volatile?

and this http://www.rwdmag.com/2010/12/tempa-t-soundtracks-student-protests-in-london-video/