Nicky Minaj

grizzleb

It's a shame because it makes her whole shtick being cynical and contrived a very real possibility.
You reckon? I suppose Lady Gaga doing that was a poor career move that didn't make her the biggest selling artist last year.

nomos

Administrator
Either someone sinister has been whispering in her ear and making her question herself or perhaps deep down she really just wants to be Rihanna. It's a shame because it makes her whole shtick being cynical and contrived a very real possibility.
The Vibe interview last summer talked about the pressure on her to go more "normal" with the album, especially after Massive Attack tanked. It was also strangely candid/fatalistic about her entering media training in order to project a broadly appealing image (i.e. normatively sexy more than weird). The boardroom/focus group wins again.

As for LaGaGa - she was a good sonic fiction. The fatal misstep was when she decided to be a person too.

Minaj = Jackie Chan seems about right.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The Vibe interview last summer talked about the pressure on her to go more "normal" with the album, especially after Massive Attack tanked. It was also strangely candid/fatalistic about her entering media training in order to project a broadly appealing image (i.e. normatively sexy more than weird). The boardroom/focus group wins again.

As for LaGaGa - she was a good sonic fiction. The fatal misstep was when she decided to be a person too.

Minaj = Jackie Chan seems about right.

Have you got a link to that Vibe interview? I'd like to read that. What a load of bollocks. Lil Wayne clearly took interest in her for her weirdness when he signed her to Young Money since it is so close to his own style. And the last time I checked Lil Wayne's weirdness has not yet been a huge detriment to his career. What's the difference?

Oh right, she's a chick.

Re: Lady Gaga: you can explain her pretty easily; she just read a biography on Marilyn Manson and didn't finish it.

CrowleyHead

I dare say that Wayne actually brought out her weirdness further. Here's the cliff notes on Nicki: When she originally started, she rapped 'hard' and 'street' like one was supposed to do in the mid-00's in NYC. She was supposedly being looked at by G-Unit, and for the most part, her material from this era was... eh. Wayne sees her on a DVD doing stuff, and she hooks up with Wayne. Wayne was already beginning his 'mad genius of rap' hype, so the one who picked up on that aspect of Wayne was Nicki. Also, her manager for a minute was also Deborah Antley, Mother to Waka Flocka and then manager of Gucci Mane. Now if there isn't another argument for weirdness earning success, hey...

I think the problem with 'Massive Attack' was that it was just too strange, and it was trying this... almost Missy Elliot thing with her, so she wouldn't be perceived as desperately trying to be sexy like SO MANY OTHER female rappers. Which was a bad angle for someone like Nicki where weirdness is a characteristic, not a distraction.

The album is pretty 'eh'. But then again, she made it for teenage girls to buy, not for rap critics to approve. Besides, she's turned in so many glass-shattering verses over the course of this year alone, I can't REALLY be disappointed.

Leo

for those in need of a christmas gift for the lady in their life...

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...04USA|d{device}_33752663235|-|719346177504USA

Last edited:
Country, trance, terrace chants, lullabies, comedy rap, vacuous weeknight student dance all in one sublime continual crescendo. Easily the best thing I’ve heard ever