Teaching English as a foreign language

Benny Bunter

want to bump this thread because I'm 99% decided on moving to Spain in September but still feel like I need more advice. Still not decided on exactly which part of Spain to go. At the moment I'm torn between Barcelona or somewhere in the south. There should be plenty of work available in Barcelona but am worried about the higher cost of living. Southern Spain (Andalucia etc) seems like more of a risk in terms of finding a job, but it should be cheaper. Am I right in thinking this? Anyone?

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i lived and worked in Granada for 9 months, it's a great place, would recommend to anyone. Granada University is seen as one of the best in Spain for literature and sciences so there is alot of interesting stuff going on... and plenty of people looking to learn English or do more advanced conversation classes, etc... also, quite a few Swedish/American students attend a language school on the outskirts of the city so there are systems in place there to help non-Spanish people find places to live, etc. the Sierra Nevada is half an hour to the north, the Costa del Sol is half an hour to the south, all the other cities in Andalucia (Sevilla, Cordoba, etc) are easily accessible by bus. most of all, it's just a beautiful city to be in, not too expensive and relatively easy to get to know. plus you'll come out with a sexy granadino accent when you speak Spanish..

Benny Bunter

That sounds fantastic. A few people have mentioned Granada to me now, especially how beautiful it is. Good to hear a bit of info about it, thank you. i think i'd much rather live somewhere like that than Madrid or Barcelona in the long run.

stevied

I'm teaching a class of Japanese students (university age). Their class is reasonably basic. But even so, some are really struggling with the language, and should be in the beginner class and not my one (the next level up). I can't transfer anyone, but I'd like to give them a break from the textbook. So I'm planning an activity that culminates with them guessing the country that a piece of music is from. Any suggestions for the music clips, please?

I need stuff that makes an immediate impression, is varied and sometimes amusing; can be obscure or mainstream. I don't want to freak them out (maybe a little), or play anything too aggressive. Thanks very much!