Sales figures for the Pitchfork top 50 for 2010

Leo

I mean how can JoNew possibly selling half as much as indie nonentities like fucking Beach House???

that beach house record topped lots of "best of" lists this year. i think it was pretty popular for an indie, a safe choice for playing at cocktail parties by people who don't buy a lot of music. and maybe the newsom was a little high-priced as a 3cd set.

connect_icut

that beach house record topped lots of "best of" lists this year. i think it was pretty popular for an indie, a safe choice for playing at cocktail parties by people who don't buy a lot of music. and maybe the newsom was a little high-priced as a 3cd set.

Yes, other people have suggested to me that the price of the JoNew album might have been a factor in it's shockingly low sales. Also, I realise that it was foolish of me to assume that nonentities sell fewer albums than people who are actually interesting do.

outraygeous

This is painful :(

We still need HMV as a retailer on the high street. I hate supermarkets selling music, they have no interest in music sales at all.

I dont know if indie music stores will come back. The dealer prices of CDs these days are incredibly high. As a rule of thumb, Amazon will sell a CD for what they bought it for or less. Obviously I am unaware of the discounts they get but thats the rule.

Leo

maybe a dumb question, but is ANYONE along the creation/supply/retail chain making the money on cds?

if a cd sells for 14 pounds in HMV as previously mentioned, then who -- artist, label, manufacturer, distributor, retailer -- is getting what share of that price?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
The last independent music store in town went in to liquidation today...

maybe a dumb question, but is ANYONE along the creation/supply/retail chain making the money on cds?

if a cd sells for 14 pounds in HMV as previously mentioned, then who -- artist, label, manufacturer, distributor, retailer -- is getting what share of that price?

Not sure how accurate this is , I know I seen a better one somewhere last year.

crackerjack

Yes, other people have suggested to me that the price of the JoNew album might have been a factor in it's shockingly low sales. Also, I realise that it was foolish of me to assume that nonentities sell fewer albums than people who are actually interesting do.

Also – and I maybe projecting my own feelings here – I reckon a lot of people who quite like the idea of JoNew probably feel one album is enough and would be happy to stick with Ys, even if the new one weren't a treble.

Excuse a dumb question, but: what's in it for Amazon?

I'd like to echo Tea's question here. Tiny margins, sure, but not for nothing, or a loss.

outraygeous

okay, this is the first example that came up on the EMI website

Pro Green Alive till im dead - Dealer Price = 3.76
Amazon = 4.99
Play = 3.99

Kinda messed up huh?

Sony below, notoriously high dealers

Sleigh Bells - Treats = Dealer £6 ish
Amazon = £5.99
Play = £5.99

Last edited:

crackerjack

okay, this is the first example that came up on the EMI website

Pro Green Alive till im dead - Dealer Price = 3.76
Amazon = 4.99
Play = 3.99

Kinda messed up huh?

But presumably the web retailers drive down the listed dealer price, right? That's how they roll.

outraygeous

Labels (the big 4) are shit scared so they cave in to the demands of what they see as big retaliers. Amazons and Supermarkets.

Imagine if Tesco said they were not going to stock your cd, you just drop the price.

Big retailers hold the power and determine the price.

Leo

Big retailers hold the power and determine the price.

yet they often sell the cds at or near cost as a loss leader to get people in the stores.

it appears that small indie retailers make little margin because their costs are high, and large chains make little or no margin by choice. so in the end, this has become an industry where no one makes any money, wtf? :slanted:

Webstarr

I imagine the likes of Play/Tesco/Amazon do use the big releases as a loss leader when they first come out, I reckon the rest of the time they just hammer the supply chain. There's so few retailers than have the bulk buying power compared to ten years ago that they can basically dictate their own terms. Also they may advertise the CD but then try and persuade people to buy the download off their site where they do have a bit better mark up