News of the World phone hacking scandal

crackerjack

Just watching the parliamentary debate. Tom Watson has declared open war on Murdoch - accused James M of leading the cover-up and accused him of perverting curse of justice.

Simon Hughes accused Met of corruption and called for fit-and-proper test on Murdochs/NI.

hucks

Your Message Here
yeah all kicking off.

A lot of of this happened on Labour's watch though.

Not sure how relevant that is. They didn't go on to employ one of the accused as head of communications.

Newsnight last night was rubbish, really boys clubby "you're naive if you think this doesn't happen" kind of bollocks. All in front of a massive picture Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. It was pretty distasteful stuff.

That NOTW hack was brilliant, though. Like the google images definition of alcoholic Fleet Street hack.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Not sure how relevant that is. They didn't go on to employ one of the accused as head of communications.

Yeah I know. The web is certainly big enough that any govt would have been aware of some this though no?

- Though maybe not to the extent of what we are hearing now I suppose

Last edited:

grizzleb

We'll see a lengthy whitewash public inquiry which will 'resolve' the issue catagorically and will show 'police failings'. Nobody will get the sack or even disciplined in the police.

It will also show perhaps some 'systemic problems of accountability' in the NOTW and perhaps a few more NOTW people will be scapegoated, though I find it difficult to see how that would happen. Everyone was taping each other in the tabloid offices.

This has been a major news story for going on a number of year now with serious implications for the media and collusion between it and the and police, and only the Guardian has been reported it.

The red tops had tiny articles, if anything at all about the latest revelations on page 11, when normally there would be massive pictures on the front page about anything related to those cases. Absolutely disgusting.

Last edited:

computer_rock

did someone say whitewash...

http://istyosty.com/tmp/cache/d912d8c3b5537f9d17a5f20dbeac5c41f1c70df8.html

FORMER News of the World Editor Rebekah Brooks yesterday said she was "sickened" by allegations that a private eye hired by the paper hacked tragic Milly Dowler's phone.
The News International boss vowed the "strongest possible action" if it was proved rogue operator Glenn Mulcaire had intercepted the 13-year-old's voicemail while she was missing.

crackerjack

We'll see a lengthy whitewash public inquiry which will 'resolve' the issue catagorically and will show 'police failings'. Nobody will get the sack or even disciplined in the police.

It will also show perhaps some 'systemic problems of accountability' in the NOTW and perhaps a few more NOTW people will be scapegoated, though I find it difficult to see how that would happen. Everyone was taping each other in the tabloid offices.

This has been a major news story for going on a number of year now with serious implications for the media and collusion between it and the and police, and only the Guardian has been reported it.

The red tops had tiny articles, if anything at all about the latest revelations on page 11, when normally there would be massive pictures on the front page about anything related to those cases. Absolutely disgusting.

A few weeks ago I would've broadly agreed with this, but it's gone too far now. Some well-known names are going to do time, starting with Coulson for paying police and for perjury. Some coppers will lose their jobs, some may also do time. Brooks will probably escape the jail cell she deserves, but she'll go, possibly after the kind of interval that will let Murdoch pretend he hasn't had his arse handed to him by the namby-pamby muesli-munching Guardian. Think it's increasingly likely the BSkyB bid will be kicked into, if not the long grass, then a little light rough.

edit: the story is now on the front of every paper tomorrow. The reluctant foot-dragging Mail has also done an inside spread.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Jeez, that's brutal. Oborne is a Tory I like. He's a middle class guy who loathes the upper class, right? Cos he can't join them. Hence all his references to "sets" and "cliques". I thought he didn't like Cameron at all, for that reason?

I don't know what his class politics are, but he's written some very admiring stuff about Cameron, claiming he could be touched by greatness. Think that probably relates to deficit-slashing and doing away with the more Bufton Tufton Tories. Very big on straight dealing though (he absolutely loathes Blair), so suspicious of the PR man in Cam and his gang.